PDA

View Full Version : What Courses Do i Choose?

timtom59
September 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Hi, I want to go into Computer Programming When i leave High School, However I don't know which program language to focus on. I Already have a Good Knowledge of:
- HTML
- CSS
- A little bit of PYTHON.
- And some JAVA. ( Not Much)
Which courses do you recommend when I leave school and which programming language to focus on...?

My Priority in programming is to do web-page design online and to make Applications offline.

Oh... and which would be a good job for me?

D3mon_Spawn
September 28th, 2010, 09:45 PM
php seems like a good choice

Joeb454
September 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

endotherm
September 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
most traditional colleges won't focus on a teaching you a particular langague, but rather teach you programming concepts in an arbitrary langague (often C/C++, java, etc).
as such you will be taking classes on algorithms and design patters, database design, and a host of other langague agnostic concepts. many grads come out ready to program in any langague, but unless the student has had the gumption to go beyond the curriculum, they may not be able to code a lick.

community colleges offer a differant route; practicum. you take a course called COBOL II, and in it, you study the back half of the book you started last quarter in COBOL I.

in the end, I don't find either extreme all that satisfying by itself. give me a mix of theory and practicum.

Dustin2128
September 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
php seems like a good choice
+1 to PHP, also I'd recommend expansion of your knowledge of python and java.

timtom59
September 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks Guys So you Recommend PHP, PYTHON, and JAVA. Im still a bit confused with the courses to take tho...

Joeb454
September 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM
If you're interested in programming/developing, Software Engineering would be worth looking into

Planetes
September 29th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I just entered my freshman year of college and am checking out the comp sci route. Its considered a technical degree at my college, as i would assume it is at most, so thats five years in the books. My first class was "intro to comp sci".
There are lots of math requirements, you might have known :) They started us out in a micro-language for the first few weeks, called Karel, to get us "thinking like a programmer" and then we moved on to C. I believe the most commonly taught first languages are either python or C.

On a side note, you may be able to test into a higher level class; though unless your absolutely sure of your skills i would recommend taking the beginners course just to make sure your foundations are secure.

More specific to courses, your college should have a packet/book outlining the degrees they offer the courses needed to fulfill them. Call them and ask them to send you one. The college will have councilors that help you plan things like this. THEY ARE NOT THERE FOR YOU TO CRY ON THEIR SHOULDER. Thats a different sort of counseling. Your high school may also have councilors that will do the same.

Sort of a lot in there hope it helps.

timtom59
September 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys, all this has really helped me where to go... I really apreciate it and i hope to help the ubuntu community.