PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.10 What's Actually New?

asddf
September 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Looking at the what's new for 10.10 list, is anyone else very disapointed?

There doesn't seem to be anything well.......new

Swopping some default apps doesn't really seem a big improvement to Ubuntu.

linux-hack
September 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Looking at the what's new for 10.10 list, is anyone else very disapointed?

There doesn't seem to be anything well.......new

Swopping some default apps doesn't really seem a big improvement to Ubuntu.

Yes there is something new (MORE BUGS TO FIX) :popcorn: :guitar:

WRDN
September 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
The Ubuntu Store is new, though it would appear that 10.10 will launch with only 1 item in the store - the Fluendo media codecs.

The Ubuntu Store will be viewed as the "Linux store", as Ubuntu is the biggest player in the Linux based OS ecosystem. It isn't going to look good on release, though I'm sure it will get better.

Canonical now needs to define a strict application procedure, so developers can get their applications into the store.
This should have been defined a long time ago. Currently, very few, if any developers know exactly how to get their applications into the store.

Other than that, there's touchscreen support coming to 10.10, and a few other things.
There is nothing that is really exciting to me at the moment.

Peter09
September 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I think the appearance of some of the themes and icons is much better, the whole O/S looks better, even if there has not been much change to the functionality.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM
The Netbook Edition has a had a complete overhaul of the UI, and there's a truckload of changes in Kubuntu (eg: Pulseaudio). Gnome Nanny that's in the Edubuntu default list is also a great app, should be in the standard desktop IMO. But for the Gnome desktop there is indeed nothing too spectacular.

More details here. (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/beta)

whiskeylover
September 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
The new updated radiance and ambiance themes look horrible under Mav.

Tibuda
September 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
The apps are updated... In Ubuntu, you are stuck with april apps if you don't upgrade.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM
The apps are updated... In Ubuntu, you are stuck with april apps if you don't upgrade.

True, but there's always backports and PPAs if you don't want to change the whole OS just for the sake of an app.

markyb73
September 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
The new font is in the updates now, very nice looking here.

Frogs Hair
September 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
This is a list of changes . http://brizoma.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/whats-new-in-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/

Half-Left
September 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Things generally look more polished to me, Ubuntu One is much improved and personally I think the new Light theme is much better.

Cuddles McKitten
September 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
With a six month release cycle, upgrades are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Of course, if you don't want to upgrade, you don't have to. Plenty of people just wait for the next LTS version to come out.

ubunterooster
September 28th, 2010, 04:01 PM
The Ubuntu Store is new, though it would appear that 10.10 will launch with only 1 item in the store - the Fluendo media codecs.Actually the fluendo codecs are free; it is the fluendo player that you pay for. (I think it is a bit steep after not paying for software in so long, but that's just me)

maddbaron
September 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM
only thing i'd want in 10.04 is the new sound menu and coverflow in nautilus...still fairly new to the whole LTS vs non-LTS thing but unless something drastically changes i'm good with 10.04...more stable and i finally have my system running with no issues...
probably will use the 10.10 on my netbook tho since it's just sitting there collecting dust

Lucradia
September 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM

You mean those point # releases for LTS don't update apps?

Tibuda
September 28th, 2010, 07:29 PM
You mean those point # releases for LTS don't update apps?

Only security fixes. No major releases.

ufugu
September 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I've never found any one update to be dramatic, but go install Edgy for a reminder of how far things have come.

The changes are mostly incremental... kernels, Gnome, packages, and the "what's new" bullet points are mostly for marketing and generating excitement ;)

MasterNetra
September 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
The New themes from Lucid have been modded and a completely new set of wallpapers are available. Some more bug fixes, and some more bugs. And app advancements like usual. Not a huge leap, but its hardly fair to expect huge leaps in a 6 month release cycle. Of course if you look at it from a LTS release stand point each LTS release has been a leap.

Lucradia
September 28th, 2010, 10:08 PM
The New themes from Lucid have been modded and a completely new set of wallpapers are available. Some more bug fixes, and some more bugs. And app advancements like usual. Not a huge leap, but its hardly fair to expect huge leaps in a 6 month release cycle. Of course if you look at it from a LTS release stand point each LTS release has been a leap.

And kernel update, and 10.9 fglrx in jockey I'm sure.

no wait, fglrx 10.9 just released on Septeber 15th or so, so it wouldn't be in. :(

Not that it matters for me anymore.

NightwishFan
September 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
The new kernel alone usually brings a lot of good changes. Unless you have a via soundcard it seems. :(

coolman98
September 29th, 2010, 01:06 AM
sigh why did I update os

Frogs Hair
September 29th, 2010, 01:30 AM
There are enough new features in 10.10 to warrent trying it . Lucid has preformed great for me , but I won't be able to keep my finger off the the download trigger on Oct 10th. I tried to talk myself out of installing 10.04 and I lasted a day. :P

foxmulder881
September 29th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Lucid has preformed great for me , but I won't be able to keep my finger off the the download trigger on Oct 10th. I tried to talk myself out of installing 10.04 and I lasted a day. :P

Yeah I suspect I'll cave in too. I'm actually extremely happy with Lucid and really have no reason at all to upgrade. But yeah, I say that now. But when the day comes, I'll probably end up downloading it anyway. I just can't help myself for some reason.

3rdalbum
September 29th, 2010, 01:51 AM
I'm wondering what happened to the windicators (client-side-window-decorations) and the RGBA-by-default that was meant to be happening in 10.10.