PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu server on a HDD and move it to another PC

Carpe_Diem_Baby!
September 28th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I don't know if anyone has tried to do this but I have a Dell Dimension 4600 machine which has no CD drives that I want to install Ubuntu on. The motherboard system bios is a pre 2004 version and does not have a boot from USB option. Initially Windows XP was installed on it and I tried installing Ubuntu desktop using Wubi with no success. There was a kernel error that kept popping up when trying to boot Ubuntu after completing the Wubi installation so I gave up on that option.

I then decided to experiment and tried to install the live cd version onto the above PC's hard drive while it was mounted as a USB external drive using an IDE to USB adapter on my exisiting Ubuntu 10.04 machine. I used the Ubuntu Live on USB method to do this and proceeded to format the entire drive to carry this out. However, when I replaced the drive in its original case, the drive is not being detected by the motherboard. Autodetection of HDD comes up with "Unknown" result.

I have been trying to install desktop all this time thinking that I would uninstall the GUI later on to sort of manually convert the desktop system to server. This is just to clarify that my main goal is to have server installed on this machine.

Can anyone think of a solution or any alternate suggestions as to how I can get this done?

PS Floppy drive is operational on the target machine.