PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot upgrade, not enough free space

pjizz
September 28th, 2010, 02:00 AM
hello,

i've been using 10.04 on my laptop for a while now, and I am ready to make the jump on main machine (with 10.10 coming out soon, I don't want to be too behind the times)

however, my / partition is apparently too full, as I get the message: "not enough free disk space."

Since I'm not really sure what in the / partition is fair game and what needs to be left alone, I am sort of at a loss for how to free up space. i have plenty of free space in other partitions, but I don't know of a way to stretch them out, so to speak.

i've attached a screenshot of gparted showing how my disk is partitioned

any suggestions on how to go about making the necessary changes to get the upgrade?

thanks in advance!

pjizz
September 28th, 2010, 02:02 AM
here is the full message

The upgrade is now aborted. The upgrade needs a total of 3240M free
space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 226M of disk
space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of
former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'

snowpine
September 28th, 2010, 02:08 AM
A good start would be to follow the suggestions:

Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of
former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'

Failing that, you appear to have plenty of room in your Data partition, so I would recommend booting with a Live CD and using GParted to move the partitions around and create some extra space in your / partition.

Of course, you will want to make a full backup of all paritions before doing this. :)

Alternately, you can do a fresh reinstall of 10.10... many users consider this to be the "cleaner" option.

I would wait until 10.10 is stable, personally.

pjizz
September 30th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I would recommend booting with a Live CD and using GParted to move the partitions around and create some extra space in your / partition.

Of course, you will want to make a full backup of all paritions before doing this. :)

would i need to use the live cd, or could i simply use GParted after having booted from the hard disk?

snowpine
September 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
would i need to use the live cd, or could i simply use GParted after having booted from the hard disk?

You cannot change the tires on your car while you're driving... you need to use a Live CD. :)

pjizz
September 30th, 2010, 09:58 PM
haha, that's what I thought.

so, i haven't used a physical cd since 7.04...could I use that, or should i create a newer cd?

snowpine
September 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
haha, that's what I thought.

so, i haven't used a physical cd since 7.04...could I use that, or should i create a newer cd?

7.04 cannot handle your ext4 partitions, use 10.04.

You can create a Live USB if you don't want to burn a CD for whatever reason.

pjizz
September 30th, 2010, 10:19 PM
okay i found a 9.04 disc I made for whatever reason...it sees the ext4 partitions, but i can throw up a 10.04 live usb no problem.

one problem, though, is that I'm not exactly sure how to go about resizing the partitions correctly. the /, swap, /root and /home partitions are all part of a larger 40 gb extended partition, sandwiched between a 40 gb win7 partition on the left and the large Data partition on the right. i can see how to shrink partitions, but then i have just a new unallocated partition. is there a way to append that space to the / partition, effectively growing it so that there is enough room for future distro upgrades, or do i need to slice up a big chunk of the data partition and make a new / partition?

thanks, again, for your help. this is what makes ubuntu fun!

snowpine
September 30th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Once you've created empty space, you can "slide" partitions left or right into the empty space. This will take a long time and you should make sure you have a backup just in case the power goes out or something. :)

pjizz
September 30th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Okay, i see now that I can do that. I had to first turn the swap off. However, i am growing /dev/sda3, i.e. the full extended partition. how do I ensure that the partition that receives the extra legroom will be the / partition?

pjizz
September 30th, 2010, 10:33 PM
AHHHHHH i see...by clicking in the correct spot you can grab the whole partition and drag it...very nice. i was about to write down all my partition sizes and drag each end individually...this is much better, thank you

snowpine
September 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Good luck! Remember that it will take a little while, so go make a sandwich or something. :)