PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can not sync the partitions in rEFIt--Suspect there was an error with installation

AshToTheLeigh
September 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Please bear with me as I'm incredibly new to Linux and shell scripting and all that good stuff. This will be a fairly lengthy post, as I don't really know which information is pertinent to the problem at hand and which is irrelevant.

I installed Ubuntu on my Macbook following the instructions on this page: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/install_linux_your_mac

At step 7, /dev/sda3 was not in the dropdown menu of options, so I picked...I can't remember. Either /dev/sda or /dev/sda2. I think this may be the beginning of the root of my problems.

Step 8 is where it all falls apart. I get the following error message:
"Status: MBR partition table is invalid, partitions overlap.
Status: GPT partition of type 'Unknown' found, will not touch this disk."

Sooo since I can't sync the partitions, I can't get Linux to load unless I'm loading it from the LiveCD.

I've tried steps 1-10 on this page:
http://mac.linux.be/content/problems-refit-and-grub-after-installation

However, under step 4, I could either "Save" the file randomly, without actually saving it to /mnt/root, or I could just open it and run the installer. I think I went into FF preferences and changed it to let me pick where each download would be saved, but when I actually clicked on the download link and then "Save", after finding the folder and clicking the final button (Which I think actually said "Open" instead of "Save"), nothing happened. I tried running the rest of the steps after just opening the installer on its own, but of course just got error messages. I hate not being able to troubleshoot this on my own!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

srs5694
September 28th, 2010, 02:26 AM
The usual instructions for dual-booting OS X and Linux on a Mac involve using a hybrid MBR, (http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html) which is a flaky and dangerous hack. Unfortunately, there also seems to be a bug in some versions of the tools that the Web-based guides suggest using, resulting in problems like the on you're experiencing.

Chances are you can fix the hybrid MBR using Linux fdisk or GPT fdisk (gdisk); (http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk) however, if you need exact instructions, you'll have to post the contents of your MBR partition table. Boot your Ubuntu CD, open a text-mode shell, and type "sudo fdisk -l". Post the results between a
and a string. Information on the GPT partitions could also be handy; type "sudo apt-get install gdisk" and then, when that's done, type "sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda" and post the output, also between
and strings.

AshToTheLeigh
October 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Thank you for your quick response! I'm sorry my response was not quite as prompt :-/

sudo fdisk -l produced the following:

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00007cfd

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 26 204819+ ee GPT
/dev/sda2 * 26 12819 102760448 af HFS / HFS+
/dev/sda3 1 12819 102967295+ ee GPT
/dev/sda4 12819 19181 51098624 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

and

sudo apt-get install gdisk gave me:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package gdisk

and then sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda ended up with:

sudo: gdisk: command not found.

Anyway, if you couldn't already guess, I will need exact instructions on how to fix this. Thank you in advance for your time!!

srs5694
October 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM
If you're only dual-booting Linux and OS X (no Windows), then you can fix it by deleting MBR partition #3:

Boot a Linux emergency CD or the Ubuntu live CD.
Open a text-mode shell (terminal) window.
Type "sudo fdisk /dev/sda".
Type "d" and select partition #3.
Type "p" and verify that you've got partition #1 (Type "ee"), partition #2 (type "af"), and partition #4 (type "83"). If not, type "q" to exit and start again.
Type "w" to save your changes.

If you're also booting Windows, you'll need to create a fresh hybrid MBR. Post back if this is the case and I can provide more complete instructions.

AshToTheLeigh
October 4th, 2010, 01:07 AM
This worked perfectly!!! Thank you :-D