PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] stuck while booting, something with xserver

annevh
September 27th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Hello,

Sorry if it seems like this has been answered before, I have tried many suggestions to problems that seemed similar to mine, but nothing has worked so far, so at last resort I'm posting, hoping one of you will be kind and help me directly.

I am running ubuntu 10.04 (not netbook edition) on a netbook (Acer Aspire one), or rather, I was running. A couple of days ago I was removing some files related to CUPS using the package manager while browsing the internet when the whole thing crashed like it happens once every 3 years if that.
Anyway, I held the power button down and when I restarted it it stalled on the "ubuntu" logo while booting. I had a message about low-graphics mode, but whatever option I chose it would always stall. I can however boot in a console, so I tried to reconfigure Xserver, no luck, and to run an upgrade, no luck either. I found some suggestion online about gdm, installed gdm started it and now I can get some sort of graphical interface, but no apps, no menu, not much really and I don't know what to do.

I know I'm not giving you much info, I'm happy to give more but I have no idea what. So if there's anyone reading this who thinks he's seen this before, please ask and I'll do my best to answer. I've been using Fedora at work (ie as a user only) for more than 10 years, so I'm all OK using the command line but as I wrote earlier I have no idea what to try.

Anyway (again), if you've taken the time to read this far, thanks, I hope one of you will guide me to the solution.

anne