PDA

View Full Version : Rant: Music industry and me

jfreak_
September 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
<rant>
So about six months ago, I made a important decision, I decided to become anti-piracy and I followed it up by removing all media which would in any way infringe upon somebody's intellectual property. Everyone around me commended and encouraged me. Everyone that is, with the exception of the music industry. Funny isn't it?
What I found out is that the major mainstream labels do not sell online music outside of the developed world. I am willing to stoop down and buy DRM music, but even that is not available. Neither are physical CD's sold (except for the MOST popular music like MJ, shakira etc which I don't listen to anyway). So in a way, these guys are pushing me to use pirated songs and then they complain about rampant piracy, lost revenue,lack of respect for IP rights etc etc. I mean if they cannot provide their services, they should shut up, right?
Ubuntu music store has looked promising but they simply don't come near the range that itunes and amazon provides, at least in the rock/metal genre.
:(:(:(:(
</rant>

Half-Left
September 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Support what you think is best that fits your needs and morals. I don't support Apple by buying music from iTunes, I don't use it anyway and wouldn't due to needing the client to buy music.

I've personally brought music from Ubuntu One to support my artist and Canonical but it's just a nice modular system, unlike iTunes. Though the new version of Banshee has a Amazon music store option built-in.

Simian Man
September 27th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Amazon MP3 and iTunes aren't available in your country?

jfreak_
September 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Amazon MP3 and iTunes aren't available in your country?
well at least when I go to amazonmp3 , they say AVAILABLE ONLY IN THE U.S , so I guess that puts me out of the store.

Spice Weasel
September 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
The way I look at it is that not much of the money earned from selling the music goes to the artist, so if I like their music I'll only buy it directly from them or buy t shirts or something to help support them. Anything to avoid the recording companies.

Half-Left
September 27th, 2010, 05:13 PM
well at least when I go to amazonmp3 , they say AVAILABLE ONLY IN THE U.S , so I guess that puts me out of the store.

It's not only available in the U.S, even Basnhee has an option to change locations. There is a UK version as well.

jfreak_
September 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
It's not only available in the U.S, even Basnhee has an option to change locations. There is a UK version as well.

Well , i live in south asia....

Half-Left
September 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM

I don't understand, Amazon ship to Asia, so why can you not view the store?

Grenage
September 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM

I'm sure at least one of the big music stores has heard of Asia.

lykwydchykyn
September 27th, 2010, 05:47 PM
The way I look at it is that not much of the money earned from selling the music goes to the artist, so if I like their music I'll only buy it directly from them or buy t shirts or something to help support them. Anything to avoid the recording companies.

Artists choose to sign with a recording company. They can choose not to. If the relationship were not at least somewhat mutually beneficial, they wouldn't have signed the papers.

With that in mind, most recording contracts involve exclusive distribution rights, meaning even if you buy from the artists directly the record company is getting a cut (when I was on a label, we actually had to buy our CD's in bulk from the label if we wanted some to sell at shows or whatever).

Also, unless a band has the clout to dictate terms to their recording company (in other words, unless their a platinum selling artist on a second contract), they probably had to give the label a cut of merchandising.

Avoiding the record company isn't going to help the band in the long run anyway; if they fail to ship a specified number of units, they aren't going to recoup their recording advance and probably will get dropped or (worse) will be stuck in the contract but won't get approved for a second album.

cchhrriiss121212
September 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
It is true that the bigger online music stores restrict what regions are acceptable for business, but there are plenty who don't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_online_music_stores

NightwishFan
September 27th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I purchase CDs. If I want to compress my music I will do it myself. :popcorn:

MooPi
September 27th, 2010, 06:37 PM

You can't even purchase CD's ?

jfreak_
September 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
@MooPI Yes I can but shipping charges are about twice to thrice the cost of the CD