PDA

View Full Version : US government seeks to increase ability to wiretap the internet

Cuddles McKitten
September 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/us/27wiretap.html?pagewanted=all

Essentially it comes down to the fact that the FBI seems to be rather sick of encryption. Assuming such a bill were passed, wouldn't that completely invalidate things like SSL? Who's going to go shopping online when your credit card information is getting intercepted by crackers who can then decrypt the data and steal it?

P.S.: Please keep to the topic of the article rather than anything related to the unspeakable P word that gets threads locked.

pwnst*r
September 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
This disturbs me on every level.

CJ Master
September 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I doubt it'll pass.

Paqman
September 27th, 2010, 03:09 PM
What are they going to do about software designed outside of their jurisdiction? Or are they suggesting that you would only be able legally able to run compliant software on a US network? Good luck with enforcing that!

On the surface it seems like a reasonable idea. Software would have to be written so that the users' communications could be coughed up if a lawful request was made for them. But I don't see how it would actually improve security. Hardcore criminals would just communicate using non-compliant software.

ironhoof
September 27th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I agree completely. Thats why they call it crime. The lawful people will be easy to track. The criminals will use the encryption anyway. This is the same with any law.

"Laws are like locks, and they are for honest people."

Shpongle
September 27th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Team America World Police . . . . is what comes to mind .

this "Hardcore criminals would just communicate using non-compliant software."

so what happens to pgp , truecrypt and the rest ?

Cavsfan
September 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM
It also mentions this: "Several privacy and technology advocates argued that requiring interception capabilities
would create holes that would inevitably be exploited by hackers."
I think it is a step backwards and hope it doesn't pass. However China and some other countries have hired
hackers to work for their govt. I do not know the ramifications if we do not stay ahead of them, nor how we could.

Paqman
September 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM
so what happens to pgp , truecrypt and the rest ?

It seems to be aimed at "services that enable communications", rather than encryption per se. As it stands, the law can already demand the keys to decrypt anything anyway, and the penalties for refusing to cough up your keys are hefty. Major jail time.

Basically they want companies to make sure they build their services in a way that they actually can access a user's communications if required. That doesn't mean the communications can't be encrypted, just that the service provider has to be able to provide an unencrypted copy on demand.

PC_load_letter
September 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
This disturbs me on every level.

++1. I was just reading this story on slashdot.org and this is very disturbing coming from this president.

Just to understand this better, so ,IF this thing passes, would this make ssh and ssl or https in their current form illegal? And for the brilliant a. hole who drafted this legislation, if there is a back door for the companies to decrypt its internet traffic, wouldn't hackers figure it out and then bye bye internet security?

And what's stopping the bad guys from encrypting their messages BEFORE they send it, so this cavity search of a legislation will be useless anyway.

Roasted
September 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
LOL.

Oh Government. Stop being so silly.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Just to understand this better, so ,IF this thing passes, would this make ssh and ssl or https in their current form illegal?

That's not at all clear, and if it was drafted to suggest this, it'd get shot down due to being unworkable. I suspect that what they would be aiming for would be that it would be illegal to operate a service using a protocol that prevented you from reading your users' data, but that such protocols themselves would not be illegal.

dmn_clown
September 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Essentially it comes down to the fact that the FBI seems to be rather sick of encryption. Assuming such a bill were passed, wouldn't that completely invalidate things like SSL? Who's going to go shopping online when your credit card information is getting intercepted by crackers who can then decrypt the data and steal it?

Actually, it comes down to the FBI wanting to be able to do things it already has the authority to do on land lines.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Actually, it comes down to the FBI wanting to be able to do things it already has the authority to do on land lines.

And with your ISP. This really only extends current powers to companies providing a communication service over the internet that uses some sort of encryption, such as Skype and Blackberrys.

Speaking of RIM, their CEO was in the news today talking about providing governments with a way of intercepting Blackberry traffic (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/28/rim_encryption/). He's at risk of India banning his service the same way UAE did if he doesn't provide a way of them snooping into his users' emails.

Seņor Banana
September 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
And with your ISP. This really only extends current powers to companies providing a communication service over the internet that uses some sort of encryption, such as Skype and Blackberrys.

Speaking of RIM, their CEO was in the news today talking about providing governments with a way of intercepting Blackberry traffic (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/28/rim_encryption/). He's at risk of India banning his service the same way UAE did if he doesn't provide a way of them snooping into his users' emails.
Invasion of privacy, ho hum.
This is why I love decentralized communications, vpns, multi-layer encryption, key files, and shredding. They can go on forever if they want to decrypt the communications, and if they demand the key, you can't give it to em. Many VOIP encryption programs provide the function of shredding the keyfile after ending the session.

The more the government wants to invade people's privacy, the more I look for ways to beef up my security and privacy. I think the next step will be going to tokens and PSK, now I just have to find a way to implement those. The problem would be having a set PSK for all communications without it being intercepted by 3rd party members, probably steganography. Tokens would be needed as a way of authentication, on top of PKI...but I don't know of any software for storing the identity validation keys. Now, to find implementations of AES256 or stronger encryption protocols.

ubunterooster
September 28th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I forsee TOR (http://www.torproject.org/) and such like proxies becoming more popular

Calash
September 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I can not see how this would pass or even be taken seriously. Half the politicians still seem to thing the Internet is this spooky place where kids chat and watch videos over their 2400 baud modems.

Never mind the simple fact that the US does not own the Internet, despite what Al Gore says. Unless the bill is going to include provisions to firewall off the US and require foreign service providers to comply this law will be nothing more than a reason to visit non-US sites.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Invasion of privacy, ho hum.

Your right to privacy (quite sensibly) does not extend to illegal activities. Nobody is suggesting blanket surveillance of the innocent.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Unless the bill is going to include provisions to firewall off the US and require foreign service providers to comply this law will be nothing more than a reason to visit non-US sites.

It's suggested that in order to provide a service in the US a company would have to open an office there (and presumably route traffic through it?). Quite how they'd enforce such a rule is another thing. They do seem to think that the US has it's own special internet that can be neatly fenced off and controlled.

Seņor Banana
September 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Your right to privacy (quite sensibly) does not extend to illegal activities. Nobody is suggesting blanket surveillance of the innocent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy
http://www.dailytech.com/Whistleblower+Says+NSA+Monitors+Everybody+Targets+ Reporters+and+Dissidents/article14038.htm
http://www.crackerjax.org/index.php/defcon/54-defcon-15/122-portable-privacy

Dustin2128
September 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I don't see the point, when any person doing something secret who has a quarter of a brain stem encrypts communications BEFORE sending them.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy
http://www.dailytech.com/Whistleblower+Says+NSA+Monitors+Everybody+Targets+ Reporters+and+Dissidents/article14038.htm
http://www.crackerjax.org/index.php/defcon/54-defcon-15/122-portable-privacy

I don't really want to get into a political debate and i'm not at all versed in the topic you link to, i'm just pointing out that what they're suggesting isn't an extension of their current powers or a further erosion of your rights. Whether or not you think that the current situation is desirable or not is another matter.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I don't see the point, when any person doing something secret who has a quarter of a brain stem encrypts communications BEFORE sending them.

Criminals aren't renowned for being especially bright.

Seņor Banana
September 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I don't really want to get into a political debate and i'm not at all versed in the topic you link to, i'm just pointing out that what they're suggesting isn't an extension of their current powers or a further erosion of your rights. Whether or not you think that the current situation is desirable or not is another matter.
That is just to show that those agencies are known to abuse their abilities.
What they suggest and what they do are two separate things, that's the problem.

Lucradia
September 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I doubt it'll pass.

yes it will: http://action.eff.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=13241.0&dlv_id=26862

Dustin2128
September 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Criminals aren't renowned for being especially bright.
oh, I was under the impression this was going after larger targets than your average drug store robber.
*sigh*

Calash
September 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
yes it will: http://action.eff.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=13241.0&dlv_id=26862

I fully support the efforts of the EFF, however I do take exception with that page. Specifically

The U.S. government has made two proposals this week that threaten online speech and privacy in radical new ways.

What week are we talking about? What proposals? There is no date to even know if the page is outdated.

That page just screams "Google landing page to get donations" to me. It could be just bad page design.

Lucradia
September 28th, 2010, 07:23 PM
That page just screams "Google landing page to get donations" to me. It could be just bad page design.

Good thing I just got the email today in my gmail inbox.

KiwiNZ
September 28th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Please remember the rules for this section.This thread is getting close to closure.

MasterNetra
September 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I doubt it'll pass.

And even if it does, I expect politicians will be getting tons of flak. Especially if the news media points out what this means for online shopping and that it makes you considerably more prone to Identity theft.

Dustin2128
September 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM
And even if it does, I expect politicians will be getting tons of flak. Especially if the news media points out what this means for online shopping and that it makes you considerably more prone to Identity theft.
you know, I'm kind of wondering how this would affect FLOSS peer to peer networks (they were also planning on mandating a gov't backdoor). Since the backdoor's source would have to be available (don't know how to phrase that much better), wouldn't that make it 10^9 times easier to get into CSS backdoors? If even a few lines of source have to be closed on a GPL program, the LoD clause means the program can't be distributed at all.

MasterNetra
September 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
you know, I'm kind of wondering how this would affect FLOSS peer to peer networks (they were also planning on mandating a gov't backdoor). Since the backdoor's source would have to be available (don't know how to phrase that much better), wouldn't that make it 10^9 times easier to get into CSS backdoors? If even a few lines of source have to be closed on a GPL program, the LoD clause means the program can't be distributed at all.

Dunno, I think the government just wants enough access so they can spy on people. Not create backdoors to everything.

Dustin2128
September 28th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Dunno, I think the government just wants enough access so they can spy on people. Not create backdoors to everything.
I was talking about a different, though related, proposal.

earthpigg
September 28th, 2010, 09:34 PM
How do you put a secret backdoor in Open Source communication software?

Ric_NYC
September 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Oh, the "change"!

Dustin2128
September 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM
my point exactly.

Calash
September 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM

Surround it with comments that say ****DO NOT READ BELOW THIS LINE!! THANK YOU, THE GOVERNMENT COMMISSION ON INTERNET MONITORING****

;)

sdowney717
September 28th, 2010, 09:46 PM

you dont, you just make it illegal to use it.
how useful will that be?
I wonder.

say you want the encryption software so you go get it, the ISP notifies the FEDS and they come visit you and charge you with a downloading illegal software crime.

Dustin2128
September 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Surround it with comments that say ****DO NOT READ BELOW THIS LINE!! THANK YOU, THE GOVERNMENT COMMISSION ON INTERNET MONITORING****

;)
:lolflag:

Seņor Banana
September 28th, 2010, 11:25 PM
you dont, you just make it illegal to use it.
how useful will that be?
I wonder.

say you want the encryption software so you go get it, the ISP notifies the FEDS and they come visit you and charge you with a downloading illegal software crime.
That's why you use alternative methods of transmission.
They tried something like that, with PGP, so the creator published the algorithm in a book and people just used OCR to get the algorithm.
If it comes to this, then I can only hope for an end to the government.
I've got plans as it is to move out of the country.

Lucradia
September 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I need to get some FLOSS to remove all this political junk from in between my topics.

Chronon
September 29th, 2010, 06:32 AM
It seems to be aimed at "services that enable communications", rather than encryption per se. As it stands, the law can already demand the keys to decrypt anything anyway, and the penalties for refusing to cough up your keys are hefty. Major jail time.
My reading is also that this is aimed at services. I can still perform encryption on my box and transmit the result.

Johnsie
September 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
The "Land of the Free" never ceases to amaze me when it comes to this type of thing. The US is nearly as bad as china when it comes to restrictions, patents and other such controls.

Seņor Banana
September 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
The "Land of the Free" never ceases to amaze me when it comes to this type of thing. The US is nearly as bad as china when it comes to restrictions, patents and other such controls.
You and be both, man.
This pisses me off to no end.
However, I'm going to stop talking, because this is becoming a political issue for me.

Primefalcon
September 30th, 2010, 12:51 AM
The guys can't force Ubuntu to make backdoors can they? http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/09/27/privacy/index.html

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Yes, we can!

inb4close

Dustin2128
September 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM
no, backdoors are literally impossible in a GPL licensed program. Since the users can see all the code, they see any backdoors immediatley, and they have the right to remove them. Section 7 of the GPLv2 (what linux is licensed under) says that his section says that if somebody has restrictions imposed that prevent them from distributing GPL-covered software in a way that respects other users' freedom (for example, if a legal ruling states that he or she can only distribute the software in binary form), he or she cannot distribute it at all. (Paraphrased from wikipedia). It's basically liberty or death.

I heard about this and asked a question like this on the net wiretapping thread (still open no thanks to Bachstelze), and the general consensus was that they would simply ban FLOSS communication and peer to peer software. Iceland, here I come!

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM
no, backdoors are literally impossible in a GPL liscensed program. Since the users can see all the code, they see any backdoors immediatley,

No, that's not how it works. Remember the Debian OpenSSL fiasco.

Primefalcon
September 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Thats kind of what I am worried about, is the company (canonical, or the makers of GnuPG being forced to do it, and then users not noticing it).

I hope I am worrying about nothing and that unlike Windows, we're safe in this area. Personally I live in the u.S parents in in Australia, and I want privacy when i talk to my own parents and family, without worry that I am able to be spied on....

Also backdoors cough, hackers, cough

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Thats kind of what I am worried about, is the company (canonical, or the makers of GnuPG being forced to do it, and then users not noticing it).

That seems unlikely, because neither Canonical not the main (basically, the only) GnuPG developer are located in the US. They could in theory force a US contributor to push a malicious change, though...

Primefalcon
September 30th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Or do it themselves

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Or do it themselves

That's also unlikely. A US government change to a security critical piece of software would draw a lot of attention, and likewise for a change by an anonymous individual, so they can't use a bogus identity either.

Primefalcon
September 30th, 2010, 01:23 AM
That's also unlikely. A US government change to a security critical piece of software would draw a lot of attention, and likewise for a change by an anonymous individual, so they can't use a bogus identity either.
Good point, and if any individual contributer is caught complying to do it, they'd heavily be watched after that

Dustin2128
September 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM
true enough. But I'm not exactly optimistic (pessimistic rather?) about the US's cyber capabilities. They ran XP at the pentagon for years and never turned off autorun...

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2010, 02:57 AM
true enough. But I'm not exactly optimistic (pessimistic rather?) about the US's cyber capabilities. They ran XP at the pentagon for years and never turned off autorun...

Surely you jest. The NSA has the world's best cybersecurity experts working behind their walls.

Dustin2128
September 30th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Surely you jest. The NSA has the world's best cybersecurity experts working behind their walls.
I'm just joking about the vast inequalities.

cgroza
September 30th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Just in USA. If I am not mistaken Ubuntu is based in England right?

Dustin2128
September 30th, 2010, 03:28 AM
yes, but [political statements edited out to keep thread open] if you know what I mean.

cascade9
September 30th, 2010, 03:32 AM
They cant force backdoors in, but there is the option of declaring any OS/program/hardware which doesnt comply 'illegal'.

Technically, no. Canonical is registered on the Isle of Mann. Which isnt part of the UK, even though the UK is responsible for foreign relations and defence, and the queen is the head of state (as 'the lord of mann' which I always find amusing). Mann is also not a part of the EU.

Shining Arcanine
September 30th, 2010, 04:49 AM

No one checks to see if your identity if bogus or not:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/17/social_networking_hack_risk/

That seems unlikely, because neither Canonical not the main (basically, the only) GnuPG developer are located in the US. They could in theory force a US contributor to push a malicious change, though...

You do not need to be a contributor to put a backdoor into the repositories:

http://forums.unrealircd.com/viewtopic.php?t=6562

If the source was modified, compiled and packaged, with the tainted packages put into Canonical's repositories and the md5 sums updated, no one would know. It is not like people verify that the binaries they download are the same binaries produced by the same version of the same compiler when passed the same compiler options. Anyone studying the official source code would never see the backdoor.

For all we know, there are already several backdoors like this in Ubuntu Linux. The only way to avoid this kind of backdoor would be to use a source based distribution like Gentoo Linux.

Primefalcon
September 30th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Well to do business in countries like the uk and us you need to be registered there if I am not mistaken, so governments could say no companies can pay for support contracts unless you capitulate.

Another thing is the UK are now considering this too... All I can say is damm the Emirates, they started this with the Blackberry

ubunterooster
September 30th, 2010, 05:19 AM
They cant force backdoors in, but there is the option of declaring any OS/program/hardware which doesnt comply 'illegal'
This^^^

You and 27 friends like this----------------------------------Dislike

formaldehyde_spoon
September 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM

Demands only applicable to companies which are able to produce the keys, and penalties only applicable to people in the US...hence the new bill.

For all we know, there are already several backdoors like this in Ubuntu Linux. The only way to avoid this kind of backdoor would be to use a source based distribution like Gentoo Linux.

Or check the md5 sums when you download.
Or compile yourself.
It only takes one person being paranoid and checking to alert the rest of the community --> there are no existing backdoors.

This whole thing is fairly pointless. There are plenty of other options for people wanting to use encryption. It can only affect large, mainstream companies.

Primefalcon
September 30th, 2010, 05:43 AM
They cant force backdoors in, but there is the option of declaring any OS/program/hardware which doesnt comply 'illegal'.
I'd like to see them try to make Linux Illegal, too many companies rely on it for server infrastructure. You know though this would hurt companies like Redhat

ubunterooster
September 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I'd like to see them try to make Linux Illegal, too many companies rely on it for server infrastructure. You know though this would hurt companies like Redhat
This would also hurt MS (yes they have linux servers), Comcast, Google.... pretty much every large company

tony van
September 30th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Look at "joe the plumber", when he confronted pres-elect obama, people from the Ohio campaigners who were civil servants looked into his backround and found he was in back payment of a bill. this will allow them to even look at your internet messages to digup more dirt if you disagree with them.

the woman who did it comitted a felony, but was given a slap on the wrist.

MooPi
September 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Civil disobedience ! Word of the day. Randomly encrypt messages, email, content, and let the authorities try and figure it out. It could be nonsense or my mothers recipe for baked macaroni and cheese. Good fun. It is better to be the hammer then the nail. :wink:

Seņor Banana
September 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Civil disobedience ! Word of the day. Randomly encrypt messages, email, content, and let the authorities try and figure it out. It could be nonsense or my mothers recipe for baked macaroni and cheese. Good fun. It is better to be the hammer then the nail. :wink:

I'd just talk about that stuff in plain text, tell people to go secure to talk about something private, and then give them the recipe.
Going in and out of encrypted communications would drive them up the wall.

98cwitr
September 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
this bill passes Ill quit using the Internet (except online game play on the PS3).

sdowney717
September 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I could see people encrypting what appears to be a non encrypted text.
Something like where you run an algorithm thru the text and it picks up every third word and makes it something else with a revolving key scheme.
So it appears non encrypted but it is encrypted with a hidden message.
So it is plain site all the time and no one would suspect at all.

mips
September 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I could'nt care less, I don't live in the USA and I really don't care if they looked at my comms.

Paqman
September 30th, 2010, 08:04 PM
this bill passes Ill quit using the Internet (except online game play on the PS3).

LOL, no you won't. Have you quit using the telephone because they can eavesdrop on that?

Dustin2128
October 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
LOL, no you won't. Have you quit using the telephone because they can eavesdrop on that?

you'd be surprised.

Linewbie
October 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
The guys can't force Ubuntu to make backdoors can they? http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/09/27/privacy/index.html

I've always wondered why I have to be online to install Ubuntu now!
An extra special bit of "Patriot" Act Malware if you live in the U.S., maybe??

(And WHY on earth is this discussion not in the security sub-forum?)

I think SOMEONE was dropped on their head as a baby. (Hint Hint)
](*,)

whiskeylover
October 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I've always wondered why I have to be online to install Ubuntu now!
You don't.

An extra special bit of "Patriot" Act Malware if you live in the U.S., maybe??
I thought I downloaded my ISO straight from ubuntu.com. I doubt the US govt made them put Malware in the code.

Stop being so paranoid.

Dustin2128
October 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM
You don't.

yeah, I'm still wondering what they meant. Maybe its that its difficult to run a computer with only a the software included in a vanilla ubuntu install, and its difficult to install software without the repos?