PDA

View Full Version : GLXDock vs AWN vs gnome-do

toogooda
September 27th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hi all dock users,

I reasonably new to Ubuntu (Just under 2 yrs) one of the things I loved the most is the amount of bling that I can get going and still have a faster more stable than my friends xp machines.

I quickly decided I wanted a doc ala osx to complete the experience so tried out the various docks on offer. the only real contender for me was cairo-dock (now named glx-dock) it had far more features and customizations than than awn and docky. so I started using it and have been very happy.

I am a reader of several Ubuntu blogs and they constantly have articles about AWN and Docky and there new features, so I thought am I missing something? So tried them all out again Docky was a joke (although gnome-do is great) and AWN for all its new features is still way behind most of the features I use in glx-dock.

I can understand people using Docky because gnome-do is so great and a simple dock to go with it might be all you need. But I donm't understand why anyone would use AWN if they have tried GLX-dock, help me out what am I missing here?

This is not a dig, I honestly don't get it, is there a killer feature in AWN I have not seen?

Those of you who use Docks out there what do you use, and please leave a comment if you like about why you settled on that particular one?

Cheers AT

devondashla
September 27th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I have a feeling you were just using the Docky plug-in for Gnome-Do, and not Docky 2. Docky 2 is the REAL Docky, and can kick AWN and Cairo'd arses anyday.

slackthumbz
September 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
You missed out the "Who cares?, people will use whatever suits them" option.

Calash
September 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM
All of them are good so it is hard to lose out.

I personally love GLXDock. Works great and easy to setup and theme.

Frogs Hair
September 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I use the AWN ppa at the moment , but I have used and like GLX as well .

cprofitt
September 27th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I like the dock that is closest to the convenience store... that way I can get my food faster and get back out to sea.

:popcorn:

MooPi
September 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM
You forgot wbar ? That is my dock of choice. Light and easy to configre. Not fancy with all the bells and whistles just a few chimes :-)

sanderd17
September 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I've tried all docks you mention and came to the same conclusion: GLXdock is the easiest to configure and the most feature-full.

ctrlmd
September 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Cairo-Dock/GLX-Dock any day :popcorn:

CarpKing
September 27th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I have tried all three. It was some time ago that I tried Cairo-dock, but at that point I found that it had way too many options and was taking way too long to configure the way I wanted it. There was also something intangible about it that I didn't like. I have used AWN for a long time; for me it just works, and I only change a few settings from the defaults. I tried Docky recently; it was fine, and if it were installed by default I probably wouldn't bother with AWN, but it did use more memory and I was more used to AWN so I switched back to that.

tjeremiah
September 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
AWN for me.

Roasted
September 27th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I have a feeling you were just using the Docky plug-in for Gnome-Do, and not Docky 2. Docky 2 is the REAL Docky, and can kick AWN and Cairo'd arses anyday.

To each his own.

Long time Docky2 user here. Guess what I'm running? Awn. Why? More options.

Use what works for you, but as somebody who has spent extensive time on each dock out there, I sided with Awn.

msrinath80
September 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
+1 AWN rules :)

nilarimogard
September 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Docky uses mono and is a resource hog. Use AWN if you want something that works out of the box or Cairo Dock for customizing everything.

Of these 3, Cairo Dock is the lightest and run great on old computers and also you don't have to use Gnome to install it.

By the way, Cairo Dock 2.2.0 (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/glx-dock-cairo-dock-22-released-with.html) was just released (well, about a week ago).

zekopeko
September 27th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Docky uses mono and is a resource hog. Use AWN if you want something that works out of the box or Cairo Dock for customizing everything.

This is BS and you have no idea what you are talking about. Docky is running fine on my lowly netbook.

Half-Left
September 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Docky uses mono and is a resource hog.

Docky uses about 30Mb RES, which is hardly a resource hog.

Calash
September 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Docky uses about 30Mb RES, which is hardly a resource hog.

For reference, I have GLX-Dock running with 10 items in the main dock and the screen change applet detached, and it is running at 15.8Mb.

Neither is a resource hog at all.

I don't have the numbers for AWN..if somebody could post their memory usage it would make for a nice comparison point for all 3.

NightwishFan
September 28th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Docky is not a resource hog, it runs quite well. At least as good as AWN, especially if AWN has a few plugins enabled.

I like docky because it is just drag and drop and it does what I want. :)

Half-Left
September 28th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I like Docky but it doesn't have an option to customise the icons on the dock.

BigCityCat
September 28th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I didn't see the option for gnome-panel. Thats my favorite. Far more functionality to me.

Half-Left
September 28th, 2010, 01:37 AM
gnome-panel isn't a dock that's why. :p

JonM33
December 2nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
Can't vote anymore but AWN for me.