PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu 10.04 Installation Problem

Gaygerbil
September 27th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Perhaps someone can help me, I created a bootable USB drive of Lubuntu 10.04, it works fine just running off the USB, however when I come to install it, I can't get past the part after you select your keyboard layout. :\ It freezes right before the hard disk partition part. It just hangs there to be more specific, I can still close out of the installation and everything runs fine still but it won't get past this part. Initially I thought it was the hard drive I was using because it is a tad old (3/4 years old) and has been through a couple of OS's I believe. But I also tried it on my brother's computer just to see if it'll get past this screen, his HD is less than a year old and it was doing the same thing. Pretty convinced something's buggy about Lubuntu 10.04's installation.

However to add ontop of all this I tried Ubuntu 10.04's installation on that hard drive and it did the same thing. Anyone have a clue about this? I'm not sure whether or not to believe it's the HD or the installation menu perhaps that's buggy? I might try an older release later I was just posing the question here to know if this was a familiar issue to the community or if it was just a problem on my end.

sikander3786
September 27th, 2010, 07:16 AM
If your computer can run older version Ubuntu or derivative, it surely should run the new one as well. No need to go back to an older version.

Did you check quality of the image used to create Live USB? See here.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

You've checked on 2 different HDDs, I will recommend that you also check with some other Flash Drive. Or try installing from a CD if possible.

mörgæs
September 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM
No, there are plenty of examples that a new release does not run, but the old one does, among others this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes

As a first step, best is to try a live boot with various releases and see which one works best.

Gaygerbil
October 1st, 2010, 06:51 AM
After doing some testing I've determined the problem was with the flash drive I was using not the distros. :]