PDA

View Full Version : Computer is a lightning show?

Dekkon
September 27th, 2010, 04:24 AM
My computer has been exhibiting some odd behavior recently. Whatever I plug into it, that has some power going through it, sparks.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this only happens when my computer is on the floor; after my stereo and phone got fried. :( I hooked up my tvcard a second ago, and when I went to plug in the cable, *FLASH* and the power to my room went out.

After flipping the breaker, we're here. Anyone know why this might be happening? My grandpa checked my plugs with a meter and all is good.

CharlesA
September 27th, 2010, 04:27 AM
It sounds like there is a short somewhere that is causing everything to go to ground.

Paqman
September 27th, 2010, 08:47 AM
It sounds like there is a short somewhere that is causing everything to go to ground.

This.

You have an electrical fault in your PC. Unplug it before you do some damage. Get your grandpa back in with the meter and get him to check the resistance between live and earth. Note that the power supply in the machines has multiple outputs.

Khakilang
September 27th, 2010, 09:16 AM
That might be a short circuit in your PSU or mobo. Please take precaution, it might give a shock if you're not careful.

grief -l
September 27th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Usually only one fried device would be sufficient to make one realize that the next fried device may be the house itself. Maybe 3 is a good place to stop and think about it?

LowSky
September 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
My computer has been exhibiting some odd behavior recently. Whatever I plug into it, that has some power going through it, sparks.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this only happens when my computer is on the floor; after my stereo and phone got fried. :( I hooked up my tvcard a second ago, and when I went to plug in the cable, *FLASH* and the power to my room went out.

After flipping the breaker, we're here. Anyone know why this might be happening? My grandpa checked my plugs with a meter and all is good.

Cable (Coaxial) lines carry voltage and are often poorly grounded at the entry point of your home. Check outside for a properly grounded wire.

Dekkon
September 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Usually only one fried device would be sufficient to make one realize that the next fried device may be the house itself. Maybe 3 is a good place to stop and think about it?

Yeah it did, at which point I took apart the whole computer and checked the wires and removed everything "not needed" and worked from there.

All things went well for awhile until I tried hooking up my cable. Anyways I'm pretty sure it's the Pw Supply cause sometimes it doesn't turn on. I have to unplug it and press the power button a few times and you can hear it go "pshhhew".

becabill
September 28th, 2010, 04:03 AM
What kind of cable? LAN? CATV?

If it's your TV cable, call your cable company ASAP, tell them the shield may be "hot". Meanwhile, get Grandad to check for voltage between the cable shield and Earth and/or ground (separately). DON'T touch the cable shield and earth/ground at the same time, you could get a nasty shock yourself.

Any visible sparking when you hook up other equipment usually indicates a "hot" ground. Your mains supply polarity could be reversed, this wouldn't necessarily show up with a simple voltage check. You local building supply store probably sells an "outlet tester" just for this purpose for a few bucks more or less. It's a good thing to keep around the house anyway, as it simply plugs in to the outlet and gives a reliable indication of voltage, line polarity and quality of earth ground.

If anything is awry, call a qualified electrician to do any servicing, it's safer that way and you'll get a warranty on the work done.

Paqman
September 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
If anything is awry, call a qualified electrician to do any servicing, it's safer that way and you'll get a warranty on the work done.

I'd be inclined to go for this straight away. From what you've said, chasing down the fault shouldn't be too hard for a sparky. Get it fixed asap. Earth faults like this can be dangerous.

The Cog
September 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I have to agree. That kind of fault could end up killing you. That's not a risk worth taking.