PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usb install 64 bit

n0n@pp
September 26th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu on my machine using a thumb drive. Before I started I formatted the drive as fat32 and changed the boot order on my bios to boot from usb hdd first. I downloaded the iso and used unetbootin to create the bootable thumb drive. When I boot into my machine I get a "Boot Error" message. Does anyone know what is happening? Thanks

lukeiamyourfather
September 26th, 2010, 02:59 AM
If you have access to another Ubuntu machine, use the utility in Ubuntu to create a bootable flash drive.

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 03:01 AM
ive used unetbooting before, is the error your getting from your bios? is your bios detecting your thumb drive? my bios was pretty weird when dealing with usb bootable devices, whats your mobo?

n0n@pp
September 26th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I dont have access to another ubuntu machine. My bios is throwing the "boot error" message after it is done verifying dmi pool data. My mobo is gigabyte MA78LM-S2H rev 3. Help me move away from vista. My dvd/cd drive is broken, so I have to boot from usb.

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 03:45 AM
following these instructions?
http://aspireonedistros.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/unetbootin-how-toff/

heres a video http://xenoxcomputers.com/?page_id=316

did you md5sum your iso? thats important. the video leaves that out but ive had bad downloads before torrents got big and us old people had to download from mirrors - just md5sum it i can walk you through that if you need it should be easy enough to google

we'll get you through to ubuntu you don't have to use windows anymore

n0n@pp
September 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks. I found those links before, and already tried to use that procedure. I gave up and found a optical drive I could use to install ubuntu. The live cd was working, so I did a full install. But now I am having another problem. When ubuntu loads my monitor goes to sleep and I can't get into the system. I can't even get into grub because this happens right after the bios loads.

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM
there are several options to load ubuntu, try the low graphics mode