PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install

Raiden8816
September 26th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Hello everyone.

I am really new when it comes to Ubuntu/Linux but I have a really good background when it comes to Windows.

Anyhoo, right now I am dual-booting Ubuntu with my Dell E1505 which also has Vista. It currently has a 120GB HDD and I am looking into upgrade my hard drive to a Seagate Momentus 500GB. I know with this HDD upgrade that I will have to do a clean install of the OS. However instead of reinstalling Vista can I do a clean install of Ubuntu and make it my primary OS going forward?

Plus after I get it going I know I would need to connect to the net and get the driver updates again because the dual boot did not like the Dell wireless that is built in so the driver needed to be updated.

Any help would be welcomed.

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 02:25 AM
you do not HAVE to reload your system get some imaging software and just image your old hard drive to your new.

if you still want to dual boot, install windows first (like before) then when you install ubuntu, i think it asks you if you want grub to have ubuntu to be primary boot, if not grub defaults are easy enough to change.

you do not HAVE to reload - the only real issue is usually connecting both hard drives at the same time - i invested in a SATA to USB years ago and used it regularly for fixing windows viruses, backup of data , hard drive imaging... these are great http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50922846/USB_to_IDE___SATA_Cable.jpg if you plan to fix hardware ever invest in one

Raiden8816
September 26th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I like that, a USB to SATA right? I noticed a youtube video with someone using that but he had to hook up a power adapter for the drive too

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I like that, a USB to SATA right? I noticed a youtube video with someone using that but he had to hook up a power adapter for the drive too
yes your going to need power to the device, they usually come with a power brick its just not in that picture
that one does laptop IDE and desktop IDE too