PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Install hangs on step 3 on dell studio xps 1340 Help Please!

viper3ez
September 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM
like the title says. i get to step 3 after picking my time zone and click forward then it hangs up. gparted also refuses to work from the livecd usb. i open it, it minimizes and then closes.

help please

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 02:18 AM
its a newish laptop so im not suspecting a faulty hard drive AHCI problem? hmmpfff ubuntu i thought, had AHCI under control.

in your bios there should be a way to turn off AHCI - sometimes dells have it is a wacky way , it give you options for what OS your going to use just select XP - XP didn't support AHCI

the hard drive is quality right? no seriosus droping of the laptop right?

try that first repost with any results

viper3ez
September 26th, 2010, 02:31 AM
i know there are some bad sectors on the hard drive but i'm not getting that far. same thing is happening on my perfectly working desktop. hangs up on step 3 of the install process.

as for gparted, it just crashes on startup. i have ran multiple ubuntu versions both 32 and 64 bit on this hardware so i know the problem is on my livecd/the installl process and not my hardware.

so nobody has had this issue?

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 02:48 AM
oo , when you redownload ubuntu, make sure you run a md5sum on it to make sure it transfered perfectly, the checksums are posted on the download pages for ubuntu

1)download your fav version of ubuntu - please use torrents
2)when transfer complete do
md5sum /somedir/ubuntu.iso
3)copy md5sum output
4)point browser to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
5)alt f and paste your copied checksum
6)get a match to your version = win! burn away
7)no match = redownload