PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question About Dual Boot And Anytime Upgrade For Windows

TheBritishEditor
September 26th, 2010, 12:38 AM
Hello again. My hard drive apparently has errors, according to my Windows 7 installation. ._. So I am going to restore to factory settings. First question - Will factory setting make me lose my Anytime Upgrade? If so, is the key that was in the anytime upgrade box re-useable? Second Question - Under the chance that I have data loss once setting up my Ubuntu-Windows 7 Dual boot system, will I lose my anytime upgrade, and is it re-usable?

The two questions are essentially the same, but I just wanted to know.

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM
your hard drive has errors? even after a scandisk? you might need to replace that puppy.

run a fitness test on your hard drive and see if its still good

TheBritishEditor
September 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for replying, but I managed to restore my hard drive to an earlier date while in safe mode, and it's all good now. But the question still stands - If I have data loss, what will happen to my Windows Anytime Upgrade, and will I be able to re-use it?

mrhhug
September 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM
that windows anytime upgrade is a scam, sorry man. ubuntu doesn't even have a product key....

you got scammed

Mark Phelps
September 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
that windows anytime upgrade is a scam, sorry man. ubuntu doesn't even have a product key....

you got scammed

What a totally worthless response!!

Mark Phelps
September 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks for replying, but I managed to restore my hard drive to an earlier date while in safe mode, and it's all good now. But the question still stands - If I have data loss, what will happen to my Windows Anytime Upgrade, and will I be able to re-use it?

When you restore to the factory defaults, the machine will be in the state it was when you first unpacked it. Given that you later upgraded it, then yes, the Anytime Upgrade will be gone.

So, you will have to apply the upgrade a second time. It MIGHT give you activation problems, given that you've already used up the upgrade license. IF that happens, it only takes a 5-minute call to MS to explain the situation and get the activation problem fixed.