PDA

View Full Version : [other] debian vs maverick base install differences?

slumbergod
September 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm an avid user of Xubuntu and have been for more than 3 years now. The last couple of releases though have introduced nice polish but also a few regressions that affect my laptop. So, I wanted to experiment with debian and ubuntu base installs in virtualbox before it the official release of maverick.

Something that is very noticeable even comparing the command line interfaces is that the ubuntu one is much slower than debian. Could this be from using ecryptfs to encrypt my home directory or is there more lurking in ubuntu?

Next I installed xorg and xfce4 without recommended packages to compare. Again, there is a big difference with these too.

I know it's not the same as installing for real but it does show there is an appreciable difference. Before doing this, I'd assumed that the canonical tweaks were in the desktop environments but now I wonder if a lot of their tweaks are also in the base system.

Does anyone else know what the main canonical tweaks are that slow the system down?

(I am not knocking Ubuntu or Canonical. I don't particularly like some of their decisions, nor the frequency of their upgrades but I do appreciate how much they've done for linux and how polished their distro is. I'll probably go with a customised maverick and XFCE4 but I'd still like to understand more about what they do that bogs the system down).