PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming man douses himself in paint to avoid Taser

Sporkman
September 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Wyoming man douses himself in paint to avoid Taser

CHEYENNE, Wyo. – A Cheyenne man who doused himself with white latex paint in hopes of avoiding a police Taser was hit with the stun gun anyway...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_odd_taser_defense

Jaecyn42
September 25th, 2010, 07:24 PM
The Wyoming Tribune Eagle reports that when police arrived, Mattert thought they'd use a Taser on him, so he hastily covered himself in paint and told officers that if they shot him with the stun gun, he'd die.

lolwut?

I'm not sure I understand how this guy came to this conclusion; but I'm sure it makes for an interesting anecdote.

Random_Dude
September 25th, 2010, 07:39 PM
That would be a great sketch.

NightwishFan
September 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM
He tried. If he had any semblance of honor the police would not have had to deal with him that way regardless.

Lucradia
September 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM
lolwut?

I'm not sure I understand how this guy came to this conclusion; but I'm sure it makes for an interesting anecdote.

pacemaker?

inobe
September 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM
judging by the contradiction in these statements, it almost sounds like they wanted to test their devices on him and could have put this person in custody easily.

now as for dousing himself with paint :-k

lisati
September 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Most of the situations I've heard of where someone was tased could have been avoided if the person on the receiving end had had the decency to take the time to get their situation sorted out calmly before it escalated. Try telling that to the anti-taser zealots though..... :D

NCLI
September 25th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Most of the situations I've heard of where someone was tased could have been avoided if the officer had had the decency to take the time to get the situation sorted out calmly before it escalated. Try telling that to the pro-taser zealots though..... :D

lisati
September 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Isn't it cool that we can approach something from opposite perspectives, and come to similar conclusions? (In this example, trying to get things sorted out calmly before a situation turns ugly.)

inobe
September 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Most of the situations I've heard of where someone was tased could have been avoided if the person on the receiving end had had the decency to take the time to get their situation sorted out calmly before it escalated. Try telling that to the anti-taser zealots though..... :D

contrary to your beliefs they had time for a chat prior to the events that took place :P

so he hastily covered himself in paint and told officers that if they shot him with the stun gun, he'd die.

Officers told him the paint wouldn't affect the Taser's capability.

Dustin2128
September 25th, 2010, 11:00 PM
That would be a great sketch.
SNL's back tonight, hooray!

Khakilang
September 26th, 2010, 06:04 AM
What give him the idea?

lisati
September 26th, 2010, 06:09 AM
contrary to your beliefs they had time for a chat prior to the events that took place :P

What have my beliefs got to do with it?

They might have had time for a chat beforehand but things still went a bit crazy. (Please don't get me started on personal responsibility. :D)

Dustin2128
September 26th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I don't think the paint or the taser did much more damage than had already been done honestly...

inobe
September 26th, 2010, 06:56 AM
What have my beliefs got to do with it?

They might have had time for a chat beforehand but things still went a bit crazy. (Please don't get me started on personal responsibility. :D)

if you mean a couple cops getting a paint job, yes that could get a bit crazy :lol:

honestly i think he doused himself because he was either intoxicated or he did not want the police to touch him.

ultimately the police didn't want to get painted and used the devices to avoid getting painted.

either way i think the devices were used without real cause.

Lucradia
September 26th, 2010, 07:46 AM

so he hastily covered himself in paint and told officers that if they shot him with the stun gun, he'd die.

Officers told him the paint wouldn't affect the Taser's capability.

The reason the man used latex paint is because latex is a type of rubber source. Thus, it should have nullified some of the electric current from the taser. If you're telling me that tasers can shock through rubber, they're a very dangerous device, as rubber is used against power lines (rubber gloves, when handling or cutting the lines), which shoot out much, much more electric current (enough to blacken the skin more so than a taser.)

Furthermore, if the man was smart-er, he would've gone into some dry mud or something or planted his feet into deep ground on top of the latex paint.

Paqman
September 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
The reason the man used latex paint is because latex is a type of rubber source. Thus, it should have nullified some of the electric current from the taser.

Tasers fire a couple of barbed darts that stick into you to deliver the shock. They're designed to go through clothes, a thin coat of latex paint won't slow them down at all.

dmizer
September 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
This is walking too close to the ethics and politics involved with police actions.

Thank you all for participating.