PDA

View Full Version : What age did you move out?

mamamia88
September 25th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Just curious what age did all of you move out? I'm 22 with about 23 credit hours left to graduate college after this semester. I am living at home attending college that is a satellite school of a very good school. School is 25 minutes from home and work is walking distance from the house. I know that with the current job I have I wouldn't be able to move out without adding a second job and that's the last thing I want right now. I do love the quiet though when I get the place to myself like this weekend. I am not in a big hurry to move out but I want to get out relatively soon to not be a burden on my parents much longer. so i'm curious at what age did you move out and how much did you have saved up when you did?

Chilli Bob
September 25th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Moved out at 17. University was 500km from home, too far to commute :). Had next to nothing saved up, lived on government support (still paying back).

Señor Banana
September 25th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I was 16 when I moved out of my parent's house. I went to a military school, then I went to work for a few months while living at my mother's before I turned 17 and my parents signed for me to enlist.

mamamia88
September 25th, 2010, 03:29 AM
wow i feel sad now.

kerry_s
September 25th, 2010, 03:30 AM
the first time was 16. i've moved in & out through out the years, currently with the parents now because there's no one else to take care of them.
my sisters are doing there own thing so they just left, 1 just got out of college & the other's work requires her to travel.

Chris1274
September 25th, 2010, 03:43 AM
wow i feel sad now.

Don't. I was 34 before I was able to afford living on my own. That's not to say I was always living at home up till then, I was in grad school a lot of that time with a stint in a monastery as well. But I certainly spent my fair share of time mooching off the 'rents.

beastrace91
September 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM
I moved out at 17, I was working full time and going into my sophomore year of college. 19 now, still living on my own, working full time, and have one semester left to graduate.

Life is good :)

~Jeff

giddyup306
September 25th, 2010, 03:52 AM
19, moved 1,500 miles away.

beastrace91
September 25th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Wait, where are all the 40 year old Linux nerds that are living in their parent's basements still?

~Jeff

lykwydchykyn
September 25th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Didn't spend more than a few months out of the year at home after 18, but I consider my "moving out" age to be 21 when I quit college and moved across state to join a band and took my financial responsibilities on in full.

I had about $6k in the bank, which was good 'cause it turns out I wouldn't have a decent paying job until about 7 years later.

Zzl1xndd
September 25th, 2010, 04:22 AM
16 for me, never moved back home.

frup
September 25th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I am not in a big hurry to move out but I want to get out relatively soon to not be a burden on my parents much longer. so i'm curious at what age did you move out and how much did you have saved up when you did?

Well that's a mature point of view compared to a lot of people I know who moved out early.

I first moved out when I was 19 then returned for 2 years as I returned to study and finally got out for good when I was 22.

I had about 5k saved. Money hasn't really been an issue for me though. A lot of furniture was given to me, the only thing I've really bought in the last 2 years is a washing machine. I need a new fridge as my current one is crapping out but the one I have will do a little longer.

I'm renting but I'm saving as hard as I can for a deposit on a house. Probably why a washing machine is the only substantial thing I have bought.

Khakilang
September 25th, 2010, 05:33 AM
At 28 I went to live with my girlfriend. Usually we seldom move out and leave our parent alone to fend for themselves. We always stay and stick together not because of financial benefits but because of family bond and beside we have to take care of our parents when they are old and need medical attention and also they can take care of our children. Its pretty hard to get some privacy in a big family but love out weight anything else.

Lucretius
September 25th, 2010, 08:25 AM
moved out at 18... at 25 i'm back again :(

temporary stay I hope

betrunkenaffe
September 25th, 2010, 08:29 AM
25. When I graduated from university. Moved in with girlfriend (now Fiancee)

msandoy
September 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I was 16, moved in with a girlfriend, now distant X. I had some of my stuff stored at my parents house for a couple of months while I was out at sea (age 19), but I got an apartment and moved out as soon as I got back home. My older brother was 23. All depends on your situation.

ironic.demise
September 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Well, I moved out at 18.

I lived with my mom 'til I was 14, Moved in with my Dad, at 18 I moved back in with my mom and then straight out again into a hostel.

I'm now 19 and I'm living with my Dad again because I got my girlfriend pregnant (oops!, cannot wait though :)).

I'm moving out again soon into my own place, just living here until that happens.

I honestly think that it's easier to survive alone in some countries than others, I'm in the UK and for me and a hostel rent was £7 a week.

Señor Banana
September 25th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Here's the interesting thing, in two years, I plan on moving my mother and brother to live in my place so I can take care of them. My brother is actually two years older than I am, was active duty, even went through boot camp with me, but he didn't want to stay in, so he found a medical way out. I want to be a positive influence on him, and give him the opportunities I have to be successful, hopefully he can follow through with them. My mom is just financially unstable, medically unstable, and I want to be able to return the care she gives for me. I'll actually be refinancing her car under my name and paying it off for her in a few weeks.

MooPi
September 25th, 2010, 03:14 PM
19, moved 1,500 miles away.

Thats got to be farther than that from Shire, if your in Modor :-)

I moved out just after graduation from high school. Started working full time that summer and this bird had flown the coop.

infestor
September 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM
since i was 15 years old...added to my mad maxian capabilities :)

Jay Car
September 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I was on my own at 15. That was 1966. I lied about my age to get a job (waitress), found a tiny apartment and managed to stay independent until I was almost 19 (Got married). Had lots of interesting adventures but no serious problems.

I'd hate to think what difficulties a 15 year old girl would face today. It's a much different world now. But I wouldn't trade my own experiences for anything.

Nevertheless, my own home is always open for my kids or grandkids to stay, if they need to (and sometimes they do). It's what "home" is for. A solid base and a safe place to recoup and de-stress. I'm glad to be able to give them what I didn't have.

Independence is important, but family is more so.

sandyd
September 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM
hmm...
once between 14-16 for a year, and lastly at 20

louis--taylor
September 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm 16 and have never moved out! :P

Life is good.

TheShader
September 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Hehe and I'm 18, and never moved out :D I'm not really thinking of moving out unless I get a good relationship... Just like the one I just lost :(:(

Schrute Farms
September 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I moved out when I was 24. The 'rents only charged me $50 a month after I turned 18, that included food, so I didn't rush things. I only had a part time job, but that gave me enough $$$ to party with friends when I wasn't working. As long as I respected them, Mom & Dad didn't care much what I did.

Living at home got real old, though. So I moved out with a good friend who was leaving his wife. Because I was also close friends with his wife, that made for some awkward nights when I would insist on inviting her over, because it was my apartment too. Still, everything worked out & I remained friends with both of them. I stayed in the apartment with my friend for a couple of years, until I met the woman who is now my wife, and moved in with her. My roomie also met someone & got married, even before I moved out of the apartment. She then moved into the apartment & started redecorating. Wasn't a biggie though, I was basically living with my girlfriend for 8 months before the lease was officially up anyway. I would just stop in, say hi, grab clean clothes, and leave.

Phrea
September 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM

tony van
September 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
18 yrs Army then PSU

magmon
September 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I have not yet departed, but I plan to move to Canada with a couple of friends soon after graduation at the end of the next school year. Currently, we have about $30 canadian dollars saved up, so you could be in a worse spot.

Jesus_Valdez
September 25th, 2010, 08:27 PM
15-16 I was starting the "High School" equivalent and moved about 200 miles in order to study in a better city.

I am 29 now and I have a hard time undestanding how people my age could still be living with their parents. Specially because most of them have work and enough money.

Quake
September 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM
15-16 I was starting the "High School" equivalent and moved about 200 miles in order to study in a better city.

I am 29 now and I have a hard time undestanding how people my age could still be living with their parents. Specially because most of them have work and enough money.
It depends on the culture, Most Mediterraneans cultures (Morocco, Italy...) and other cultures (Indians) have overpowering mothers and the parents don't mind that their child adult child stay in the house. Some don't want their kids to leave the house until they're married.

In any case, those in these situations will depend on their courage to break the circle. But it's not "SO" Weird... Sugar Sammy (A well known comedian), lived with his parents until he was 33.

limestone
September 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Do you have to? :D

scouser73
September 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Wait, where are all the 40 year old Linux nerds that are living in their parent's basements still?

~Jeff

Not quite 40 lol but I still live at home at 37.

markp1989
September 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM
im 21 still at home, im a student for the next 2 years, so i wont be moving out for a while, in my area its hard to find a place, rent is often 1.5-2 times the price of a mortgage , but because of the banking problems, its almost impossible for people my age to get a mortgage, a couple of my friends are on good money , and the bank dont wana know,

only people i know my age who have moved out are uni students who are studying away from home.

mamamia88
September 25th, 2010, 09:36 PM
wow you live in london i heard rent is really expensive there. i could probably find a place for $500 right across the street from campus but then i would still have to get a second job because my current job only gives me 20 hours a week or so and at the rate they pay me it wouldn't cover rent. my main priority now is graduating. even though having an apartment right across from campus would be great since i wouldn't have to worry about getting to school in a snowstorm. but then again my job is 5 minutes from my parents house.

Chame_Wizard
September 25th, 2010, 11:25 PM
20 years,just 13/15 days after my birthday(which is 5 January).:popcorn:

squilookle
September 25th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I was 19 when I moved out. It was 8 years ago this month. :)

jwbrase
September 26th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Still at home at 23. I spent a year away around age 18, and then another year away that ended just this August, but I've not permanently moved out yet.

Siph0n
September 26th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I was 24 when I moved 2000 or so miles away.

lisati
September 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Officially moved out for good at 22. That was more years ago than I sometimes want to remember.

NovaAesa
September 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I moved out when I was 18.

Paqman
September 26th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I want to get out relatively soon to not be a burden on my parents much longer.

Good for you. A lot of people still living at home at your age are just lazy and want to sponge off their folks.

Daisuke_Aramaki
September 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I officially never moved out. It's a cultural aspect. Although I haven't been living with them since 22. But it was because I started working in a different country. My parents have homes both in Japan and India. But I have no place of my own in either place. So if I visit them even for longer stints, I live with them.

desnaike
September 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I moved out at 20.