PDA

View Full Version : Why use MSN?

hoarythehedgehog2009
April 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I just have one question out of curiosity (that is why it is in the Ubuntu Cafe):
If you guys hate Microsoft so much, why do you use MSN?:cool:

tribaal
April 10th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Oh well... AFAIK, I use MSN because most of my friends do, and they won't install linux instead of windows.

And by the way, I don't believe we hate microsoft, we rather love linux too much to give it any credit ;)

Kimm
April 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM
dito. I use MSN because everyone I know uses MSN. If I had it they way I wanted things, I would use Jabber (dont like the transports in jabber)

helpme
April 10th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I just have one question out of curiosity (that is why it is in the Ubuntu Cafe):
If you guys hate Microsoft so much, why do you use MSN?:cool:
I don't use it, as I don't have a need to use it.
And why do you think everybody here hates Microsoft?

NeghVar
April 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I use it because everyone I know except 1 ( he uses yahoo which gaim handles nicely) uses msn. besides, as Linus once said:

Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really cr***y operating systems.
Linus Torvalds

vertigo
April 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Use msn to keep in contact with my family and friends, also yahoo, both through gaim.

Theres deffinently no hate for microsoft on my part even if i dont think much to their software, they make a good keyboard and trackball.

bjweeks
April 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Cause I can.

GoA
April 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I have to say, this is quite a stupid thread...And I don't hate Microsoft. It makes good operating systems and programs.

DigitalDuality
April 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
i talk to quite a few people in europe and Aus., MSN tends to be the standard there.

Eventually this won't be a problem as Yahoo and MSN are working on being able to IM each other. While Gtalk and AOL are also working on the same thing (and the ICQ integration into AIM has been slow..but steady).

dasunst3r
April 10th, 2006, 09:15 PM
You really can't assume that anybody that uses Linux is a Microsoft hater -- that is so not true.

I do see Linux as fire to Microsoft's feet, though! :D

majikstreet
April 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM
so that I have pretty much every widely used instant messenger and so everyone can communicate with me.. I have yahoo, jabber, gtalk, aim, msn, and icq..

hoarythehedgehog2009
April 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM
You really can't assume that anybody that uses Linux is a Microsoft hater -- that is so not true.

I do see Linux as fire to Microsoft's feet, though! :D

Sorry, I am new to linux and I just wanted some insight on what you think...:rolleyes:

bonzodog
April 10th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I only use msn cause my family do. Otherwise I refer everyone to gtalk/AIM.

IYY
April 11th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Well, really I use msn just because my friends use it. I don't really care what IM program I use, as long as I can use it to talk to the people I want to talk to.

But really, it's not a bad IM system. MS can actually make decent software (see MS Office), they should just stay out of the OS business.

eriqk
April 11th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I use MSN because everyone, and I mean everyone, I know who IMs uses it. Most aren't even aware of the alternatives.

Groet, Erik

scenestar
April 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Why use MSN?

Easy,

3 words: chicks with webcams.

Xilon
April 14th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I dispise MSN... I truly hate it with a passion. IF it wasn't for the fact that I live in Australia which is an english based country and everyone uses MSN here then I would definitely not use it. Having said that, I don't actually have many contacts in MSN but most of them are from Gadu-Gadu which is a Polish network that is far superior and is ahead of MSN by at least 2-3 years (in terms of usability and functionality anyway). Konnekt is a great multi-network IM that uses mainly the GG and Jabber protocols but unfortunately it's only for Windows and it isn't open sourced (although a lot of the plugins are).

BWF89
April 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I use MSN because everyone, and I mean everyone, I know who IMs uses it. Most aren't even aware of the alternatives.

Groet, Erik
Are you serious? I know of 1 person who has an MSN that actually uses it to talk. Everybody I know on various forums or at my high school uses AIM.

As for the protocalls I have entered into my Gaim accounts:

AIM (main)
YahooIM (almost never)
MSN (never, I only have one because it came with my familys subscription to MSN online service)
Google Talk (never actually talked to anyone with it)

Kimm
April 14th, 2006, 11:28 PM
MSN is alot bigger in Europe compared to the US

BWF89
April 16th, 2006, 02:11 AM
But I thought Europians were more anti-Microsoft than Americans.

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 03:16 AM

American are hardly anti-microsoft.

unbuntu
April 16th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I think the MSN protocol is decent, but I hate MSN messenger. It takes up too much resource, uncustomizable, and has too many ads.

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I think the MSN protocol is decent, but I hate MSN messenger. It takes up too much resource, uncustomizable, and has too many ads.

GAIM for the win.

_simon_
April 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Yep that's true. The last time I personally knew anyone using AIM was maybe 3 years ago. You'd be hard pushed to find many people using anything other than MSN!

XQC
April 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
GAIM for the win. Not when you have friends with webcams and they often send you things because it's much more faster than E-Mail... "Oh, why does the connection suck... ah yeah, you're running Linux again" :neutral:

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Not when you have friends with webcams and they often send you things because it's much more faster than E-Mail... "Oh, why does the connection suck... ah yeah, you're running Linux again" :neutral:

1. I tell them to send me a picture.
2. Try gaim 2

dosed150
April 16th, 2006, 04:04 PM
gaim 2 isnt out yet though is it?

bjweeks
April 16th, 2006, 04:07 PM
gaim 2 isnt out yet though is it?

It's in beta...

dosed150
April 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM
oh rite maybe i should try it then

Kimm
April 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I dont think gaim has better support for MSN filetransfers yet (atleast they dont go faster for me using beta3...). aMSN is better in that department, and I know how you feel, I get the "oh right, your using linux..." speak ALL THE TIME!!

bored2k
April 16th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I don't hate MSN and I use it, so I guess I don't have an answer to this.

Edit: and speaking of MSN the Messenger, besides the tabs on Gaim/aMSN (which will be available on the upcoming MS Live system), they're all very lacking from the official client. And don't even get me started on this one.

eriqk
April 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Are you serious? I know of 1 person who has an MSN that actually uses it to talk. Everybody I know on various forums or at my high school uses AIM.

Yes, I'm serious. In the Neitherlands, MSN is king. In most of Europe, actually, but I get the impreassion that in the NL, MSN has a market-share that's close to 100%.

Most Europeans don't care either way. They go with what's familiar, like most computer users.

Groet, Erik

Danni
April 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I've had a hotmail address since before it was owned by Microsoft. Everyone I know uses it. It was easy to add several accounts on Kopete.