PDA

View Full Version : Sansa Fuze MP3 player V2 with Rockbox

Jim_in_Omaha
September 23rd, 2010, 11:43 PM
For what its worth I have been a member since 2007 and have so little for post count I thought this would help contribute to that.

I think this Linux thing is addictive. I bought a Fuze yesterday and put Rockbox open source firmware on it throwing any warranty concerns into the wind because Linux users are not afraid to be bold. Today I played some pod-cast MP3's while at work and was poking around on it through the settings and apps. This thing is so cool with Rockbox. And for $44 bucks for the 4G Fuze on sale what can I say.

And the Rockbox install utility worked flawless. They have both 32 and 64 bit.

Back to the member since 2007 thing. All I can say is I have been able to solve most of my issues by simply researching on this forum and others by searching and reading.

sandyd
September 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
For what its worth I have been a member since 2007 and have so little for post count I thought this would help contribute to that.

I think this Linux thing is addictive. I bought a Fuze yesterday and put Rockbox open source firmware on it throwing any warranty concerns into the wind because Linux users are not afraid to be bold. Today I played some pod-cast MP3's while at work and was poking around on it through the settings and apps. This thing is so cool with Rockbox. And for $44 bucks for the 4G Fuze on sale what can I say.

And the Rockbox install utility worked flawless. They have both 32 and 64 bit.

Back to the member since 2007 thing. All I can say is I have been able to solve most of my issues by simply researching on this forum and others by searching and reading.
isnt the V2 version of the fuze unstable?

I got the v1 version :guitar:
and I love playing doom on it lol.

Jim_in_Omaha
September 24th, 2010, 01:04 AM
If I read the Rockbox charts right it is considered 'unstable' because of a problem with USB connectivity with the Rockbox loaded. So using a bootloader it will load up the OEM firmware when powered on with the USB connected and works fine. So far I have not been able to get it to lock up or crash.

sandyd
September 24th, 2010, 02:03 AM
If I read the Rockbox charts right it is considered 'unstable' because of a problem with USB connectivity with the Rockbox loaded. So using a bootloader it will load up the OEM firmware when powered on with the USB connected and works fine. So far I have not been able to get it to lock up or crash.
mine boots up the sansa firmware when I plug in the USB.

Jim_in_Omaha
November 9th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Rockbox for Fuze V2 is now stable release. And it is even cooler....

ethanay
November 25th, 2010, 10:17 PM
just bought a Fuze 8gb v2, and immediately put Rockbox on it (for AB repeat, gapless, timestretch, sound quality, etc). it boots up the Sansa firmware automatically when connected while off. It will recharge but does not connect as a UMS device while Rockbox is running.

Aside from that relatively tiny issue, it is a dream come true. If the Fuze had a truly "user replaceable" (without soldering) battery, it would be a perfect player for me. All for ~$40. WOW.

neu5eeCh
November 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Wow! I totally didn't know about Rockbox! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! Etc... ad infinitum!

I didn't walk. I ran to my Sansa Fuze V2 and installed Rockbox. Cooooooool. The old interface was really getting me down. What a huge improvement. Now I can actually see and organize my podcasts. Woo hoo!

Yeah, this is over the top, but Rockbox made my day.