PDA

View Full Version : Server Remote Viewer

De Los Santos
September 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM
okie dokie so... Ive been given the chance to control the server for my highschool.:lolflag: I know (for the most part) what im doing but ive been asked to put a remote desktop viewer on it so we can view anyone on the server(something like dameware mini remote). ive never done this before so id like some help. The machine is running ubuntu 10.04 and has connected thin clients for student access. If you need more info just ask and ill provide. Thanks

arrrghhh
September 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
Is the server running X? You want to spy on the thin clients?

De Los Santos
September 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Lol no idea about x, im completly new to this system setup. I know ubuntu well but not so much the server side of things. And yes i need to be able to "spy" on the thin clients.

scrooge_74
September 24th, 2010, 02:35 AM
but what about just checking the logs, or you just want to be able to watch them move the mouse around and type?

arrrghhh
September 24th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Yea, I'm not sure it's possible to spy on the thin clients live... plus it would probably slow down the server&client fairly drastically... depending on your setup, network, etc.

De Los Santos
September 24th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I can check the logs but other less computer literate people (teachers) cant. They also just want to be able to watch over students.

scrooge_74
September 24th, 2010, 03:06 AM
got it, and I second what arrgh says, you are going to give the server some overhead, it depends how good it is.

Why not just block access to all those sites/programs/functions you dont want students using?

They are using thin clients so is a bit easier :D

Dansguardian is a good option for blocking/managing what they can or can't see

arrrghhh
September 24th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hrm... I have to say, I know of many ways you could watch over the students real-time (like VNC) but most things like that are not meant for that purpose - so it'll take quite a bit of leg work to setup on your end, and it would probably be very unweildy to manage.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm not aware of any built-in way to monitor what the clients screens are showing...

Plus, it seems like a very archane way to monitor what the students are doing - I agree that a proxy that filters out bad content would be much more useful than something that allows direct spying :P

HermanAB
September 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Use webmin and SSH. VNC is primarily a Windows thing and doesn't work so great with Linux.

De Los Santos
September 24th, 2010, 06:37 AM
I go to a technical school so we have everything from medical and vehicle tech classes, to I.T. A+ and ccna classes. There are a bunch of smart kids (including me) that know ways around proxies and blockers of all sorts because we already have them in place. That being said. there is remote desktop on the server and i created an account for the thin clients. I logged onto a thin client and enabled remote desktop. I then in turn was able to view it from the server. only thing is that i would have to go onto every account and change the setting in it... that would take forever. can i change them all at once?

BkkBonanza
September 24th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Xnest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnest) perhaps, or FreeNX (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX) shadow sessions (http://openfacts2.berlios.de/wikien/index.php/BerliosProject:FreeNX_-_HowtoShadow).

De Los Santos
September 24th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Lol just read hermans post. ill keep reading.

De Los Santos
September 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM
by the way. If any of you are wondering/ need the info. The server is an intel based quadcore 3.4ghz x2 with 32 gigs of ram lots of blue lights. lol. All the thin clients have 2 gigs of ram and dual core 2.8ghz... we just got them this summer. i had to put them all together >.< all in all there pretty fast machines.

arrrghhh
September 24th, 2010, 01:09 PM
by the way. If any of you are wondering/ need the info. The server is an intel based quadcore 3.4ghz x2 with 32 gigs of ram lots of blue lights. lol. All the thin clients have 2 gigs of ram and dual core 2.8ghz... we just got them this summer. i had to put them all together >.< all in all there pretty fast machines.

You definitely seem very "technical"...

Anyhoo, with those specs I guess you'd be fine... but I still don't understand how you could possibly watch all the students at the same time...

If you setup your internet connection correctly, the 'smart kids' won't be able to get around the proxy - at my work, if you don't use the proxy, you don't get internet access... simple.

De Los Santos
September 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
lol well i cant tell if that was a compliment or what. lol. but ill take it as a compliment. but to clear things up i dont want to watch all of them at the same time. I just need to be able to have access to a list of computers, then click the one i choose and see that specific computer. thank you everyone for your help so far.

scrooge_74
September 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Lol

you want to watch what the "smart" ones are doing ...

De Los Santos
September 24th, 2010, 08:17 PM
lol in a sense yes.

scrooge_74
September 25th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I guess the apps posted higher up should let you see what the "smart" ones are doing, you could also install squid + Dansguardian to keep them out of most places. Also you can use OpenDNS on the server and then use the free account on their website and you can even block more stuff out.

arrrghhh
September 26th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Yes, and with some smart network design, you basically ONLY allow web traffic out if it goes thru the proxy - basically you don't give open access to the web if the client bypasses the proxy. That's how we do it at work, and it works amazingly well - but it also works really well because our filters do not allow going to any sites that use web proxies either - so it makes it very difficult to back door the filters.

BkkBonanza
September 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
That's how we do it at work, and it works amazingly well - but it also works really well because our filters do not allow going to any sites that use web proxies either - so it makes it very difficult to back door the filters.

How do you handle HTTPS ? Block it?

arrrghhh
September 27th, 2010, 05:02 PM
How do you handle HTTPS ? Block it?

If it's not piped thru the proxy, it's not allowed out basically.

kevin11951
September 28th, 2010, 02:08 AM
I can't believe no one has posted this yet:

http://italc.sourceforge.net/home.php

It's in the Edubuntu docs even!

Anyway, here is a screen shot:

http://italc.sourceforge.net/screenshots/italc-1.0.6_1.jpg

kevin11951
September 28th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/iTalc

It's meant for Ubuntu 8.04, so if you are using a later version, you should ask here and someone should help out with the details.

arrrghhh
September 28th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Ha, nice. Never used Edubuntu. Good find.

scrooge_74
September 28th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Nice solution no one tough of Edubuntu.

We either:

1. too old to think of watching school children
2. Our kids are not that "smart" that we need to watch them
3. No kids of our own

BkkBonanza
September 28th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Cool.
I wonder what pc008 is up to...

... he's probably the "smart" one you want to watch. He makes you think he's powered off but is really firewalled and proxying out on HTTPS.

De Los Santos
September 29th, 2010, 04:22 AM
oh sheesh ya'll! thank again for all the help im glad i got this figured out.