PDA

View Full Version : Best Financial Managing Application for Students...

matthewbpt
September 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I want to start doing some serious budgeting, being a student with a student loan, I have to watch my money carefully. There are a few applications in the repos, and I'd like to get some input from you guys as to which would be best suited for me as a student. There's GnuCash, Grisbi, and KMyMoney and others, which do you like best?

Cheers,

Matt

CharlesA
September 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
I just use Excel/OpenOffice Calc.

kostkon
September 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
Other, for HomeBank...

Simian Man
September 23rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Personally I've always found anything more than a pencil and a notebook to be overkill.

earthpigg
September 23rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Personally I've always found anything more than a pencil and a notebook to be overkill.

my hand cramps up if i write more than three sentences cave-man style.

:P

khelben1979
September 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I think that the applications in Open Office could be enough. Otherwise GnuCash looks interesting, but I have no experience in using it.

ugm6hr
September 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I just use Excel/OpenOffice Calc.

I use GoogleDocs for this particular purpose, since it means I can add cost items from anywhere connected.

Barrucadu
September 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I used to just use a text file, but recently changed to OO.o Calc.

perspectoff
September 26th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Spreadsheets are "for the birds" when it comes to managing money.

I've used Quicken (all versions) for years. I tried running Quicken in Wine, initially, but it doesn't work very well.

I tried moving to GnuCash, but it was much easier (for me) to move to KMyMoney -- I like the interface much better.

(That's what I use now.)

I've read that a lot of users like the French program Grisbi, but I've never tried it.

I would never use anything for personal finances that has any possibility of storing my information anywhere online.

Bachstelze
September 26th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I don't use anything. :p I can see online how much money I have left, that's all I need.

era86
September 27th, 2010, 02:59 AM
mint.com

Legendary_Bibo
September 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
My brain. As long as it's dealing with numbers my brain is fantastic at memorizing huge amounts of numbers (I used to memorize my parents' credit card numbers when I was little because I saw it as the magical money card. Luckily I never used it to buy anything too expensive through the mail) and large mathematical formulas as well as doing these function as incredible speeds even while drunk.

Khakilang
September 27th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I use OpenOffice Spreadsheet. Just create a simple template. Money come in on 1 side and money go out and on the other side and what is left. I just make sure that money come in more than going out thats all.

Paqman
September 27th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Google Docs spreadsheet FTW. I can check and edit it anywhere.

giddyup306
September 27th, 2010, 12:40 PM
None! I played with Skrooge, Homebank, and gnucash for about 5 minutes each. It would take too much time to learn all the features and how to use them. For me it's not that hard to keep track of my money (and I'm a small business owner). The big thing is just to keep track of receipts check my online account regularly.

Part of the reason why I use Linux is for security. I don't keep any personal information on my computer. It'd be pretty hard to crack into my computer especially since I have SE Linux installed... But still I don't want my bank account just sitting on my computer. It's just a paper trail...