PDA

View Full Version : why not free certification??

Praveen30
September 23rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
we use open source software,we work on open source os..then why i have to pay money for linux certification like lpic..??i know certificate has some importance when you are a fresher and going for job.it shows that you have done something in this field. i just want to know is there any websites or anything which provide a free online test on linux..so that i can get to know how much i have learnt and where i stand???o

arashi256
September 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Open source doesn't mean everything is free. "Free as in speech, not free as in beer" ;) Companies make money from open source by charging you for taking their exams and courses in order to get certified so that in turn, *you* may be hired somewhere and make money from open source. I couldn't begrudge anyone that.

Praveen30
September 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Open source doesn't mean everything is free. "Free as in speech, not free as in beer" ;) Companies make money from open source by charging you for taking their exams and courses in order to get certified so that in turn, *you* may be hired somewhere and make money from open source. I couldn't begrudge anyone that.

it has been said while speaking about the open source that knowledge belongs to human.then why this type of restriction? linus torvald has made the linux just to overcome this restriction, if the whole linux can be delivered as free with all the applications then why not a paper??
at least everyone must have to get a chance to prove their excellence....

Simian Man
September 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM
it has been said while saying about the open source is that knowledge belongs to human.then why this type of restriction? linus torvald has made the linux just to overcome this restriction, if the whole linux can be delivered as free with all the applications then why not a paper??
at least everyone muxt have to get a chance to prove their excellence....

Feel free to start your own certification program then...but don't expect anyone else to take it seriously.

Praveen30
September 23rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
Feel free to start your own certification program then...but don't expect anyone else to take it seriously.

well i admit this sir!!!! money===importance!!!
sir can you tell me any sites where i can practice and give some tests???

Mark Phelps
September 23rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
...i just want to know is there any websites or anything which provide a free online test on linux..so that i can get to know how much i have learnt and where i stand???o

If you're interested in just testing your Linux knowledge, I don't know how much certification costs, but there are study guides out there that cost a lot less. Take the tests in those guides and you will get a pretty good idea of where you stand.

As for certification being "free", you're wasting your time arguing this point. I once had an industry certification. It took 18months of on-the-job observations, formal training, and formal testing to get it. The certification itself cost thousands of dollars (for which my company paid). Keeping the certification active then cost thousands of dollars each year. They decided after a while to stop footing the bill.

So, be thankful that the certification you're pursuing doesn't run into these kinds of costs.

Praveen30
September 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
If you're interested in just testing your Linux knowledge, I don't know how much certification costs, but there are study guides out there that cost a lot less. Take the tests in those guides and you will get a pretty good idea of where you stand.

As for certification being "free", you're wasting your time arguing this point. I once had an industry certification. It took 18months of on-the-job observations, formal training, and formal testing to get it. The certification itself cost thousands of dollars (for which my company paid). Keeping the certification active then cost thousands of dollars each year. They decided after a while to stop footing the bill.

So, be thankful that the certification you're pursuing doesn't run into these kinds of costs.
thanks for your suggestion sir!!!!

cariboo
September 23rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
This isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

Calash
September 23rd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Because the people who write, administer, track, and act in support of the certification can not feed their children on GPL good wishes and FOSS dreams.:P

earthpigg
September 23rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
So, skip the certification. Do work for free, and build your resume. Plenty of full time professionals in plenty of fields have no certification and no formal education.

Recall that Bill Gates was a dropout.

kamaboko
September 23rd, 2010, 08:02 PM
Why stop there? How about a free home, car, health insurance, etc? I've got a yard full of leaves the OP can clean up for me. After that I've got some gutters that need cleaning out. lol.

cprofitt
September 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I will not touch on free vs. not free...

http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/freetests.xml

You may find some Linux tests there for free or very little.

3Miro
December 19th, 2010, 02:53 PM
If I make a FOSS program, then it costs me nothing to give it for free and in the long run, other people may join my project and help me make a better program. However, GPL gives software "as is" and "without warranty" (so does MS and Apple by the way).

On the other hand, if I were to put my signature on a piece of paper saying that person such and such knows enough Linux to keep a bank server safe, I take responsibility. What's in it for me?

You can get recognition from the community (for free). Start contributing, if you have large enough contributions to various Linux projects, you can put that in your resume and it will look much better than any certification. Linux kernel developer, Gnome developer, Developer of distribution X that runs on such and such servers ...

koenn
December 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I agree, it doesn't make sense at all. They make software and hand it out for free, but i still need to pay for a computer to run that software on, and for an internet connection, and for the electricity to run all that. This is interfering with my freedom to run the software where I like, whenever I like, for whatever purose I like.

I run Ubuntu. It's only fair that, in return, Canonical buys me a computer and pays my electricity bill.

koenn
December 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
i just want to know is there any websites or anything which provide a free online test on linux..so that i can get to know how much i have learnt and where i stand???o

Redhat's certification program has test-exams,pre-assessments, etc., that you can use to assess how well you'd score on their real certification exams. Those should give you an idea of where you stand.
Other certifiers may have something similar

CharlesA
December 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Redhat's certification program has test-exams,pre-assessments, etc., that you can use to assess how well you'd score on their real certification exams. Those should give you an idea of where you stand.
Other certifiers may have something similar

Indeed. Some certification study material have practice tests as well.

juancarlospaco
December 19th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hurricane Electric's Certification its Free and its taken seriously:

http://ipv6.he.net/certification/

Its IPv6, but a nice example
:)