PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE desktop sharing

martinblunn
September 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
O.K. Guys,

I am tearing my hair out now. (Or I would be if I had any) I am running Ubuntu 10.04.

My problem is when I start a new session in Gnome, kde desktop sharing autostarts two windows. I have tried the following to prevent them autostarting with no joy..

As far as desktop sharing goes, you need to check a couple places. Firstly open system settings and then click on the advanced tab. Under there is autostart. Check if desktop sharing is included on autostart.

No it isn't

If it is not there, you might be restoring a saved session at every startup that includes desktop sharing. Still in system settings ---> advanced, click on session manager and see what has been set up there. If in doubt, close down everything and save that session, then use that on next startup...

I have tried this as well as starting with an empty session. No Joy.

in the file ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc are some specifics

This file does not exist. I have opened the folder as administrator, enabled view hidden files and it's not there.

Try to look in System Settings > Server Settings > Services .You`ll find your application here with a checkmark.Those with a checkmark nearby means that start when the system starts.

There is no Server Settings in system settings.

I have of course looked in startup programs and it is not there... Can anyone offer a suggestion?

ankspo71
September 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hi,
It might be running as a system service. I won't be of much help in this department, but I can recommend some bits of info.

Try installing BUM (Boot-up Manager). With that you can locate and easily disable/enable certain services and applications that were intended to run on startup. BUM can be found in Ubuntu's Software Center or Synaptic Package Manager.

Here is some technical information on controlling services and applications that run automatically. I don't have much experience with this though.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBootupHowto
(you might be able to spot a script used to create those two windows, if you browse the /etc/init.d/ folder.)

martinblunn
September 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks! A fascinating little program. Never knew I had so many unnecessary services. Unfortunately KDE desktop sharing didn't appear anywhere. :(
& I couldn't find the scripts in the init.d folder either ;-(