PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KDE Tooltips in Gnome unreadable (black on black)

brianschimmel
September 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi there,

I'm using Ununtu 10.4 with Gnome, and recently installed KDE (KDE 4.4.92 (KDE 4.5 RC2)) on top so that I can choose between KDE and Gnome at each login.

When I log into an KDE session, everything works just fine, but often I use KDE applications (like Okular and KDevelop) in my Gnome session. In Gnome, I'm using the dark default theme that came with Ubuntu 10.4, which features black tooltip boxes with white font. In KDE-Applications I get black tooltip boxes with dark-gray font. It is completely impossible to read them, the text is so dark that I can hardly see that there is text at all.

Has anyone an idea of how to fix this, possibly without breaking other things (like using Gnome-Apps in a KDE-Session, etc)?

Also, I'm wondering if this should have worked from the start, that is, if this issue is worth opening a bug report.

thanks in advance,
Brian

eltama
September 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm having the same problem but with 10.10 beta (Maverick), in 10.04 it used to work fine.

eltama
September 23rd, 2010, 02:59 PM
I've solved it. It seems to be another incarnation of this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk2-engines/+bug/144968, and it's duplicate https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/141254

Basically what you have to do is to change the background of the tooltip on the theme, however the problem is that it looks OK, black background and white fonts, but for some reason it was not working.

To fix it go to System > Preferences > Appearance > Theme, click on Customize..., go to Colors click on the button for the background of Tooltips and choose a new background, it could be black again.

What I still don't like is that the menu entries that are not enabled are also very difficult to read on both GTK and Qt applications. I don't know how to change this.

brianschimmel
September 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you, that did the trick for me. Changed the background color from black to black and now I get white text.

eltama
September 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Thank you, that did the trick for me. Changed the background color from black to black and now I get white text.

Great!

bonzi
September 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks eltama. Worked for me too.

aybesea
November 10th, 2010, 12:44 AM
This works for me too, but it resets back to dark grey on black as soon as I reboot (i.e. it is not a sticky setting). Anyone?

eltama
November 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
That's true, for me it resets even if I close the KDE program and I open it again.
I don't know of any permanent solution.

kaeptnbb
December 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
That's true, for me it resets even if I close the KDE program and I open it again.
I don't know of any permanent solution.
Use

sudo apt-get install systemsettings.
Now you can use systemsettings to configure tooltip bg and font color for KDE applications.

victorhugo289
February 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Use

Now you can use systemsettings to configure tooltip bg and font color for KDE applications.

You guys just solved one little problem I had, Hurray!

makushimu
August 15th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Thank you, this thread really helped!

ub-khalid
October 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Use

Thanks a lot, I'll see

ub-khalid
October 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Dear kaeptnbb
It haven't changed anything!