PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's google chrome running slow on Windows?

user1397
September 23rd, 2010, 06:20 AM
I have the latest google chrome on my windows 7 desktop, and it is terribly slow to load pages (not slow at loading the program).

Anyone else having this issue?

I can't seem to think of any reason why this happened...it started a couple of weeks back :(

I tried reinstalling including deleting the appdata folder but still nothing..

I've also ran my antivirus and antispyware and results show nothing...

My security model is sudo-esque: I have an admin account with a password, and a limited account which is the one I always use. So whenever I have to do some administrative task, it asks me for the admin password.

andymorton
September 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
I don't use Windows myself but my girlfriend uses Chrome on her Windows (XP) netbook and it's working as well as it always does.

andy

amitabhishek
September 23rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Not on my office laptop.

Spice Weasel
September 23rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
What's wrong with Chromium or another WebKit browser like Midori on Windows?

sikander3786
September 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Not slow for me but keeps on crashing @ 1 time every 2 days at least. Firefox 4 beta is working better.

Khakilang
September 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
I don't use Windows but I had Chrome in Ubuntu. Maybe you can check for virus, spyware or malware. Those maybe the culprit.

Black_Tanto
September 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
This is kind of a tech support question and probably should be moved.

Chrome is buggy for me. I also dont like using chrome because their policy is not compatible with my privacy preferences. Its good for people with dialup, but there are better options.

In my opinion, there are ways to tweak firefox for speed and I prefer it. It has all the addons I like and with high speed internet and a lightning fast computer, I am willing to sacrifice some miliseconds to have better performance and my favorite addons.

You might want to try using Iron. Its based on ChomIUM rather than Chrome directly but if you are using Windows you wont have to compile it from source. Because it doesnt report your activities back to google tracking it might be very slightly faster...if that doesnt help, maybe its not Chrome but Windows.

Another option if that doesnt work is to look at your cookies and tracking. You might have spyware or other malware or just regular cookies slowing down your computer.

sikander3786
September 23rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
This is kind of a tech support question and probably should be moved.

But ubuntuforums doesn't allow support for Windows :-)

ubunterooster
September 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Chrome is not really that slow for me on 7 in comparison to FF or IE. It is slow compared to Chrome on *buntu, so it really depends on what the term "slow" compares to.

kaldor
September 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM

Because Chrome is vastly superior to Midori, and people don't want to compile on Windows ;)

Personally, I'm extremely fond of Safari on OS X. Not sure how it is on Windows, though. I wish Safari would push a bit more because it's a great AND standards-compliant browser.

user1397
September 23rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
This is kind of a tech support question and probably should be moved.technically I'm not expecting anyone to help me with this as a support question, I just wanted to know if others are experiencing the same problem.

user1397
September 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
bump

ubunterooster
September 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Okay, on further testing on my (your results may vary) computer (I should have posted this before) :

1, with Aero on, FF is faster by far
2, on 7 basic FF pulls slightly ahead
3, on the Classic theme (current), it is equal.

Chrome uses much more resources for me...I think that might be the cause for you

Ric_NYC
September 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
IMO Chrome is a memory hog on Windows XP. The System crawls.

ubunterooster
September 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
IMO Chrome is a memory hog on Windows XP. The System crawls.
Not just your opinion. You are not alone ;)

forrestcupp
September 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I'm having the same problem. I'm running 6.0.472.63 in Win7 and it loads pages pretty slowly. It's not horrible, but it's definitely visibly slower than Firefox.

The main reasons I opted for Chrome recently were for speed and more screen real estate. So far, I'm disappointed with the speed, I didn't like that you have to install multiple copies for different profiles, and I really miss the "View Image" option in Firefox. I'm starting to think it's not worth it.

Does anyone know if the plugins are working good with FF4 Beta?

Nothing. It's just that that's not what this discussion is about.

pwnst*r
September 30th, 2010, 05:29 PM
5 different windows installs that I use almost daily, and no issues here, but I'm not using the beta, only the latest stable release.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I'm using the latest stable releases on both Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows Vista and neither of them are running slow.

sushil_88
September 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
many time it get crash also
so i recommend to not use google chrome

98cwitr
September 30th, 2010, 06:43 PM
^^^ I rarely have Chrome crash. Happened once in the past two months on my Fedora laptop and it was due to a weak wireless connection.

nope on chrome now (latest version as posted previously) in XP and it's working great. I really can't stand the new autofill feature...it blows donkeys....

Chrome still > *, Firefox is FTL