PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why don't my installed programs show on my menus?

mahrudet
September 23rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04. Many of my installed programs are not listed on my drop down menus (Applications and System menus). I can't edit my menus with the 'Edit Menu' program because it is one that is not showing.

howefield
September 23rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
Can you give examples of applications that you are having a problem adding to your menu ?

mahrudet
September 23rd, 2010, 02:13 AM
Just from memory...
'Menu Editor' shows installed in the 'Add/Remove' repo but is not on my drop downs.
'Document Viewer' shows Installed in the 'Add/Remove' repo but is not on the drop down
'GDeb Package Installer' shows installed in the 'Add/Remove' repo but is not on drop down
'Terminal Program-Super User Mode' shows installed in the 'Add/Remove' repo but does not show

I'm don't remember any others that are normally under the System but I think there are a couple more that should be there. When I navigate to the location of 'Menu Editor' and run it manually, it does run... but no programs are listed (for adding to the menus) that are not already on the menus.

I've tried Removing and Re-installing these programs but have the same problem.

Thanks
Tommy

pastalavista
September 23rd, 2010, 02:34 AM
You can run the menu editor by right-clicking the menu bar and select 'edit menus'. Then when you edit, you can add whatever by either checking the boxes or using the 'new item' option to add what's missing.

LinuxPhreak
September 23rd, 2010, 04:39 AM
I know with Ubuntu 9.x and Ubuntu 10.x the menu editor usually shows up under the System > Preferences > Main Menu. I can't speak for 8.x though because I used them but never got serous until Ubuntu 9.04

mahrudet
September 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
I can run the editor by right clicking or navigating to it at it's location and running it... but no programs are listed (for adding to the menus) that are not already on the menus."

I thought maybe there was a database table somewhere that recorded all the installed programs and that it might be corrupt.

I just don't understand why programs show up as installed in 'Add/Remove' and 'Synaptics Package Manager' and are actually on the drive but do not show up on the 'Menu Editor' for adding to the drop down menus.