PDA

View Full Version : What is Different in 10.10 Maverick Meerkat?

corrytonapple
September 22nd, 2010, 03:06 AM
I am hearing the rage about 10.10., but what is different that affects me besides security and maybe stability? I just do Terminal, photo editing, email, and making documents. I do like to show off though to friends without it crashing. So, what is the difference?
Also, if something sounds wrong it is because of having to type on an iPod Touch. :)

Khakilang
September 22nd, 2010, 06:07 AM
No difference if I were to use only Gimp, OpenOffice and Firefox. But some other people may find it different. I think it depend on what you use it for.

Sef
September 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
Maverick Meerkat Changes (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/beta)

murderslastcrow
September 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Quite a bit if you're a KDE user. If you consider all major versions, it's quite a bit. A lot of it is just refinements as usual, an easier and faster install process, the ability to preinstall codecs/closed drivers if necessary, a new slideshow, and all the changes in the Linux kernel and other improvements up the stack.

You really have to focus on what applications you use most, and the DE you use, to see exactly how much has changed and which changes will affect you.

Legendary_Bibo
September 22nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I'm getting my netbook with it because it'll have a new kernel that supports the trim command for SSDs. I'm not going to worry about it on my laptop though.

ssam
September 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM
if you install testdrive, you can try it out in a virtual machine with very little effort.

its worth getting the latest version of testdrive from the ppa, as it has a useful GUI.
https://launchpad.net/~testdrive/+archive/ppa

lancest
September 22nd, 2010, 12:12 PM
The .35 kernel is stable with my 3G modem.
Desktop polish stuff.
(For instance fonts seem slightly improved)
Gnome Bluetooth working great.
Improved Ubuntu One for my documents.
Radiance theme is better and now my default.
Ubuntu software center more refined.
(I often use CLI though)
10.10 application startup seems a little more snappy.

Incremental- so many users could just stay with Lucid.

Frogs Hair
September 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Icon theme - Rhythmbox- Software Center- Indicators-Kernel Just to name a few.

Paul820
September 22nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
10.10 application startup seems a little more snappy.

+1 to that, that's the first thing i noticed. 7 seconds to start using gimp :)

EDIT: That 7 seconds is from a fresh log on to my laptop. When i run it again it takes 5 seconds. Not bad to say the one on Windows takes about 1 minute just to find the fonts.

ssam
September 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
+1 to that, that's the first thing i noticed. 7 seconds to start using gimp :)

EDIT: That 7 seconds is from a fresh log on to my laptop. When i run it again it takes 5 seconds.

try installing preload. then you might get the 5 second start first time after a reboot.