PDA

View Full Version : Tin-foil hats at standby

CandidMan
September 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Long story short, I've been posting more on UF recently and not getting notifications to my hotmail account:
Not through my e-mail client
Not on the website(spam folders included)

So, I figure. I'll give my Yahoo! account instead.

Lo and behold, I'm getting e-mails again.

I wonder if we could do an experiment to see if I'm not alone

Bachstelze
September 21st, 2010, 11:51 PM
No one really knows how Hotmail decides which incoming mails it lets go through. I also can't send email to Hotmail accounts from my mail server. I have to use my ISPs, which can't be that much different...

CandidMan
September 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM
No one really knows how Hotmail decides which incoming mails it lets go through.
Are we seeing the emergence of Skynet!?

And from Microsoft of all companies :)

It's just weird how, all of a sudden - nothing.

I might see about a Gmail account, I've heard good things about it

TriBlox6432
September 22nd, 2010, 01:24 AM
GMX is, in my opinion, the best.

fatality_uk
September 22nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Just to be clear, you are saying there is a coloration between you making more posts in UF and your Hotmail account somehow not getting emails? Trust me, on the VERY long list of things that Microsoft have to worry about, you making posts to UF is very close to the bottom.

Prohibited
September 22nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
The only thing that Hotmail seems to block are legit emails, the thousands of enhancement advertisements seem to be the only thing that gets through.

lisati
September 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
One thing I've noticed with Hotmail recently is that if I deliberately send an email from my Hotmail account to my home server that I know will be rejected, Hotmail's webmail interface hides my server's error message away out of sight, and it's not a particularly intuitive process for finding it. Very helpful, Hotmail! But that's another story.....

Naiki Muliaina
September 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM

Love GMX!

Wish they wouldn't stop it working on non Firefox / safari / IE browsers...

Mind you been a while since I last tried GMX on Opera.. I use GMX mostly for my phones email thanks to the POP3 thing.

t0p
September 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
I use GMX mostly for my phones email thanks to the POP3 thing.

Gmail provides POP3 and SMTP for free, so I can send and receive email via my phone.

Google is a great evil corporation.

Naiki Muliaina
September 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
Gmail provides POP3 and SMTP for free, so I can send and receive email via my phone.

Google is a great evil corporation.

GMX Also had a sorting of retrieving and sorting thing for all your emails from different websites before anyone else really cracked onto it. It wasn't just POP3 email that got my attention with GMX.

Not sure what all the email providers do now days though. GMail is good, we use it at work as when the boss wanted everyone to have an email address Google provided the easiest and most obvious solution.

sydbat
September 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
To the OP - nothing new from Hotmail. Years ago, before Microsoft bought it, it was garbage. Had someone physically sitting next to me email me a file. Got it 4 years later. I have no idea why. (this was in the days of floppy's, so I just had them transfer it that way...after they found one they could use)

Johnsie
September 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hotmail sucks and it always has. I like exchange based email and gmail better.

pwnst*r
September 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Lol, how is this even a thread?

CandidMan
September 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Trust me, on the VERY long list of things that Microsoft have to worry about, you making posts to UF is very close to the bottom.
Well, not really thinking me specifically, or UF. There's just no obvious reason for it
But I was thinking they maybe drop priority of messages from domains known to present linux in a good light.

NCLI
September 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM

The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.
Don't like it? Don't participate.

Tibuda
September 22nd, 2010, 05:50 PM
Don't like it? Don't participate.

So hotmail-bashing is "lighthearted and enjoyable"?

FuturePilot
September 22nd, 2010, 05:51 PM

This.

Don't get me started about Gmail's IMAP. It's why I don't use Gmail anymore.

CandidMan
September 22nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
Whoa, don't want people to start being rubbed up the wrong way.

This was just meant to be some light-hearted (ironic) linux zealotry, with a kernel of truth

I don't know the real reason those e-mails were dropped/delayed, and other than that, I can't complain about hotmail

koenn
September 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
No one really knows how Hotmail decides which incoming mails it lets go through. I also can't send email to Hotmail accounts from my mail server. I have to use my ISPs, which can't be that much different...

They use a SPF-like but not entirely SPF-compatible (yeah, what else is new ...) mechanism, and if your mail server is not up to their "standards", you'll have trouble delivering mail to their servers - all part of Microsoft's plan to eradicate spam within 5 years.

Your ISP's MX's, otoh, are probably white-listed.

koenn
September 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM

don't worry, most of them just want to be rubbed up the wrong way.

wilee-nilee
September 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I had until just about the last week or so the same problem using a free yahoo account. I think it is just the poor overworked servers @UF.
http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/

t0p
September 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
@NCLI: What exactly is your avatar?

http://1.2.3.10/bmi/ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar387344_12.gif

Is it just me, or does that look like a close-up of something rather rude? Stand up if you agree, a ring might help you maintain your upright position...

:p

CandidMan
September 22nd, 2010, 09:10 PM

Off non-topic:Looks like Sauron's ring to me :-s

Rasa1111
September 22nd, 2010, 09:30 PM

http://1.2.3.10/bmi/ubuntuforums.org/customavatars/avatar387344_12.gif

Is it just me, or does that look like a close-up of something rather rude? Stand up if you agree, a ring might help you maintain your upright position...

:p

haha, must just be you bro, [you prevert]lol...
I don't see anything that resembles 'one of those'. :lol:

but i do see a "lord of the rings" ring..
possibly on an old rotted finger, ... lol

sydbat
September 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by pwnst*r

The Community Chat area is for lighthearted and enjoyable discussions, like you might find around a water cooler at work.
Don't like it? Don't participate.But this is the only place s/he posts. Without it, they are nothingness...:P

CandidMan
September 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Created my Gmail account yesterday

Pleasantly spam-free since nobody has it yet :)

And friends I suspect owning infected PCs are only getting my hotmail address

pwnst*r
September 24th, 2010, 04:38 AM

This was just meant to be some light-hearted (ironic) linux zealotry, with a kernel of truth

I don't know the real reason those e-mails were dropped/delayed, and other than that, I can't complain about hotmail

That's a good way to sugar coat it. Nice job.

But this is the only place s/he posts. Without it, they are nothingness...:P

Without going internet sleuth/stalker on me, how exactly do you know that?

*crickets*

Oh, okay.

CandidMan
September 24th, 2010, 05:40 PM
That's a good way to sugar coat it. Nice job.
Really? I thought it was pretty transparent actually.

You know, unequivocally stating I don't want to start a real flame-fest. I've read enough of those, (trying to garner facts), to make my eyes bleed

Just a suggestion before you critique everything everyone posts on these forums. Consider the impact of what you say to others, when you have no real measure of their age or sensibilities.

koenn
September 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I thought it was pretty transparent actually.
true. the thread title was a clear indication of the nature of the thread.