PDA

View Full Version : Install Windows programs **from** USB drive, not **on**

evenrelation
September 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Hello

I wasn't sure where to put this topic, since it hasn't got much to do with Ubuntu directly.

Nonetheless, I need to install a program (in due time) from a CD on a laptop without an optical drive.

But I was wondering If it was possible to write the CD's contents on my 16GB USB flash drive and install from that inside Windows 7 on my Virtual Machine.

It was absolutely a cinch I never expected to boot from the USB to install Windows 7, but are there any issues I might run into when installing programs instead of OS's?

Google gave me few answers since most results concerned install on a USB, not from.

CharlesA
September 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM
Depends on the program, you can normally just copy the setup files to the usb stick and run the program from it.

Sidenote: I tried doing that and for the most part it worked, but it more of a pain in the butt then anything else, so I just got a cheapo external dvd burner.

cariboo
September 21st, 2010, 11:57 PM
I installed Office 2010 from a usb stick on a customers netbook recently. I just copied all the files from the cd to the usb stick, it even auto-started the installation process.

I did have a problem with a couple of e-game cds though, I got the one she really wanted installed, but a couple of the others want a cd in the drive tobe able to run.

thegreenblob
September 22nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can just rip the CD in to an ISO, put the iso on your USB drive, and mount it within the OS you want to install it in.