PDA

View Full Version : Are You Making The Switch To Maverick Meerkat? [10.10]

maddg3241
September 21st, 2010, 07:22 PM
Are You Making The Switch To Maverick Meerkat?

I Definetly Am.

I Love The Wallpapers!

Can't Wait!!!!!

sydbat
September 21st, 2010, 07:23 PM
Are You Making The Switch To Maverick Meerkat?

I Definetly Am.

I Love The Wallpapers!

Can't Wait!!!!!Wallpapers ALWAYS make me move to something new...

maddg3241
September 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM
lol it is not just the wallpaper I just mentioned I like them. I also want to see what esle they have added and I like to stay up to date.

Half-Left
September 21st, 2010, 07:27 PM
I have it on my other HDD for testing and Lucid on my main HDD. No doubt I'll switch not long after release.

Sporkman
September 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Nope. Sticking with 10.04 until 12.04.

I likes the 2 year release cycle.

proggy
September 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
When? Are you talking now? Or when it`s LTS

LowSky
September 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM
I was thinking of using 4.10.

bigseb
September 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM
Sticking with 10.04 for now.

andymorton
September 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM
I've switched to 10.10 on my laptop but I'm still using 10.04 on my netbook. I need it to be as stable as possible but my laptop is just for messing around on so it doesn't really matter if it all goes wrong. So far, however, Maverick has been pretty close to rock solid.

andy

bigseb
September 21st, 2010, 08:02 PM

I agree

oldsoundguy
September 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
no options for those of us that use multiple computers. I will move TWO computers (as there is no DATA or tweaks on them) but keep 10.04 LTS on the main control computer until the NEXT LTS comes out. (just as I have done in the past) Too much to deal with on that box and too much that can go wrong on an update "just to have the hot new item."

cj.surrusco
September 21st, 2010, 08:11 PM
I've tried the beta out in a VirtualBox, and it doesn't seem like anything special compared to 10.04, but I will still update when it is released, because it isn't a huge hassle for me and I like being up-to-date.

cguy
September 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
When KDE upgrades won't be available for Lucid anymore, that's when I'll be moving on.

Joe of loath
September 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Nope, I'm moving to Arch. I like to fiddle, and I like the idea of never having to do an upgrade/reinstall again.

CharlesA
September 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM

I'll be doing that as well.

roggenschrotbrot
September 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM
already switched as my 3g modem is semi-supported with the new nm-applet.

Detonate
September 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Maverick solved a problem for me that I could not fix in Lucid. So I have already made the switch. Maverick is running beautifully on my machine.

Cavsfan
September 21st, 2010, 08:53 PM

I'll be doing that as well.

I think I will do that too! Lucid has been berry berry good to me!

finny388
September 21st, 2010, 09:10 PM
To me OS's are very far from perfect. I'm always looking forward to future improvements.

Especially curious about the move of the window controls to the top left - what do they have in store for that? :D

spoons
September 21st, 2010, 09:18 PM
Maverick solved a problem for me that I could not fix in Lucid. So I have already made the switch. Maverick is running beautifully on my machine.

What was your problem? :)

Frogs Hair
September 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM
That is the current plan , but I may wait a few days after the release to view the damage reports and good reviews.

endotherm
September 21st, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'm sure I will come release day. my server boxes will remain lucid (prolly for the next two years), but I'll update my clients;

Phrea
September 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
No.
For some reason I don't seem to get along very well with 10.x versions, I'll probably wait until 04.11, maybe even 04.12.

Naiki Muliaina
September 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Work PC's remain Lucid, main desktop will be Maverick :)

KdotJ
September 21st, 2010, 09:38 PM
Nope, I'm moving to Arch. I like to fiddle, and I like the idea of never having to do an upgrade/reinstall again.

I'm half way there with you. Moved to 100% Arch on my netbook. Maverick doesn't play all too nicely, especially Unity on my netbook. Arch is super quick and only the stuff I want.

However once unity matures a bit I'll install ubuntu on my little 10gb of free space remaining on my netbook hard disk

Random_Dude
September 21st, 2010, 09:40 PM
I didn't switch to 10.04 and I need to make my Ubuntu partition bigger. So I'll probably make the switch while I'm at it.

Paul820
September 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM
I'm already on 10.10. I've got an Acer Aspire 5551 With ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics card and everything works, apart from my multi-gesture touchpad but i have a wireless nano mouse as i hate touchpads anyway. My wireless card is a broadcom and Ubuntu downloaded and installed that for me so that works as well, even suspend and hibernate works and all the fn+f3 etc keys. I love it when it all goes smoothly :)

ticopelp
September 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah. I like seeing the changes and new features, and if things go badly I can always just roll back.

Sporkman
September 21st, 2010, 11:00 PM
Especially curious about the move of the window controls to the top left - what do they have in store for that? :D

They're going to put system tray-type application status stuff in the top right.

NightwishFan
September 21st, 2010, 11:03 PM
Already have. I manage several laptops of the exact same model on Ubuntu, so am bug testing to see if newer kernels fix anything, and if I can successfully backport it to lucid. (All my charges run Lucid until the next LTS)

gnomeuser
September 21st, 2010, 11:23 PM
I switched the day the repos opened, there are still things that draw me to do the same for Natty but the list is growing ever smaller.

Rasa1111
September 21st, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have it on my other HDD for testing and Lucid on my main HDD. No doubt I'll switch not long after release.

+1.
what Half-Left said.

ask me about a month into the past, and I woulda said.. "nah, no desire to switch"..
but after using it non stop for days on end...
Im pretty sure I will be switching. :D <3

Stan_1936
September 21st, 2010, 11:50 PM
lol it is not just the wallpaper I just mentioned I like them. I also want to see what esle they have added and I like to stay up to date.

sudo apt-get update

You're up to date.

MooPi
September 22nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
I won't take the plunge because 10.04 is working so well for me at the moment. I have extra test boxes and will tinker with I imagine.

Dustin2128
September 22nd, 2010, 02:34 AM

this^
plus lucid is an epic name :D

baddog144
September 22nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Yes. I have already, I'll probably switch to Natty more or less straight away. Cutting edge, oh yeah.

23dornot23d
September 22nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
Yes I am going to use Maverick 10.10 without a doubt ..... ( but to switch no ! )

This is the wrong wording for me .... switch ....

I never take the risk of a switch ...... ( one to the other ? ) ...... too much to lose .....

Always have another LINUX operating system to fall back on .... then its no big deal if the odd thing does not work.

To me multi boot is a must and so easy to setup nowadays ......
so if you use your OS's like stepping stones .....
you can usually step back to safety ...... (unless the boot screws up)

if the latest is not as stable as you would like - how can you roll it back to where it was once you have done the SWITCH ?.

Keep 10.4 and install 10.10 into a separate partition - that would be my advice.

I hate seeing any threads that read .... how do I go back now it does not work for me .

Rasa1111
September 22nd, 2010, 04:17 AM
Good advice I think, 23dornot23d.

I have been thinking about just shrinking my lucid partition as much as possible, and installing 10.10 on the rest.

I think your post is going to push me further in that direction. lol, thanks.

23dornot23d
September 22nd, 2010, 04:31 AM
Cheers .... Rasa1111

Its a good way to go ....
( The choices - either make a bit more room for it to test it .... or put it on a USB ... or run in a Virtual Machine .)

I thought I better say something as people are seeing this thread and I know myself I was always eager to try the latest out especially as it gets closer to the release date ..... and although this thread is not aimed at people

changing before the 10.10.2010 .....

but ....

I just know people are going to want to try it before then .... and this is the result .....

Here are a couple of threads that are popping up in the development area ....

Link 1 ... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1579489)

Link 2 ... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1578534)

Link 3 ... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1572297)

Link 4 ... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1576047&highlight=beta)

Hope that the advice I gave earlier does help some people ..... make a good choice.

NightwishFan
September 22nd, 2010, 04:48 AM
I did the upgrade today and it went quite well. Though I made sure I cleaned up some processes first. I always go back to a single kernel, remove anything that builds with dkms, and remove all external software.

Hyper Tails
September 22nd, 2010, 04:51 AM
Yes!

Ubuntu Has always been good for why not this one?

Matt3223
September 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
I am not going to switch on my Teo netbook, but will definitely check it out on a test partition or usb drive.

The surprise in seeing all the changes if only looking LTS to LTS is awesome, but I can't keep from peeking.:popcorn:

I'll look more into a full switch at 11.04.

Khakilang
September 22nd, 2010, 05:37 AM
I am not sure to switch or not to switch. Everything works great on my computer with Lucid Lynx and I am lazy to reinstall all the software like Gimp, Adobe flash, some media player and virtual box with Window XP. Maybe I try it out on another computer and see how it goes than only make the switch or wait for another LTS.

malspa
September 22nd, 2010, 05:44 AM
I've been staying with LTS versions since Dapper. I have no reason to follow the six-month release cycle. Once again, I'll skip all of the in-between releases until the next LTS comes out.

NikoC
September 22nd, 2010, 06:58 AM
Right now I'm thinking no, because my system is running stable on 10.04. However, I always get tempted to try out the new release.

So I'm not really sure were I will be in a month or 2 from now ;-)

murderslastcrow
September 22nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
I'm already using it. No problems anymore, but I'm sure more will get killed before release.

scouser73
September 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm not going to be making the switch to 10.10 because I'm happy with 10.04 and it's the first time I've decided to stick with an LTS rather than updating every six months.

roddie
September 22nd, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm currently undecided. Lucid Lynx is working perfectly for me and I like the LTS, but I keep hearing about these new fonts in Maverick...

Ender985
September 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
So I have a quick question for you. I'm currently using Lucid in my job computer, and I have it customized to my liking, so I'm considering staying on the LTS instead of continuing to upgrade every six months, also because setting up a new realase always takes me a few days that I currently don't have.

Question is: if I don't upgrade, will my applications continue being updated and improved? For instance I just read that they've made Evolution faster in Maverick, I'd appreciate this change also on Lucid but I'm not sure if I'll get it if I stay on the LTS.

Chame_Wizard
September 22nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
I stick with Lucid Lynx.

giddyup306
September 22nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
I've been using it now for a while. The only problem I've had is with my stupid nvidia card (which is the cause of 95%+ of my Ubuntu problems).

undecim
September 22nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
If Maverick has the Elantec touchpad drivers built-in, I MIGHT switch from 10.04.

DeadlyWolf
September 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
No. I have the beta installed on 2 computers but will not be using it when it is released. I prefer Mint and Sabayon as my permanent installations.

wkhasintha
September 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
yes! when the stable version is released. :):) I'm not gonna try beta cuz cannot fiddle with bugs.

Bapun007
September 22nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
I m still using lucid

eriktheblu
September 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Question is: if I don't upgrade, will my applications continue being updated and improved? For instance I just read that they've made Evolution faster in Maverick,...
Updates in each release are only for security and stability. I think it's safe to say that you will not get the improved speed version unless you upgrade to 10.10.

For me, I probably won't upgrade for a while.

I see a lot of potential for the paid software feature, but I suspect there won't be much of an offering for a while to come.

Evolution, Gwibber, photo management, I don't use them.

For my Mythbuntu box, it's running great with Lucid, and I loath the though of reinstalling.

For Ubuntu Studio, I'm still trying to get a custom kernel to work for my M-Audio device. The patch for it works with kernel 2.6.31.4, and seems to be designed for Jaunty.

Roasted
September 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Depends which computer it is. On my work laptop and home desktop, yes I undoubtedly will. With my web server or my file server at work... why bother? With 10.04 being an LTS and not wanting to screw around with currently working configurations, it's hard to justify moving to a 6 mo release on boxes like that. But I'm sure I'll upgrade my other systems to it within the first month of its release.

bug67
September 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
No. I'm using the Karmic version of Linux Mint. I tried both Ubuntu Lucid and the Lucid version of Mint and came up against some issues I couldn't/didn't want to deal with. I will be waiting for Linux Mint Debian Edition to mature a little more before I abandon Karmic for anything else.

RaZoR1394
September 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
I switched to Maverick some weeks ago on some computers. It works good and is stable. I love the fprint ppa that is available for Lucid and Maverick as well. It makes fingerprinting better.

NCLI
September 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Netbook: Yes.
Desktop: Yes.
Server: No.

Really depends on the circumstances.

The Real Dave
September 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Yes and No.

My main desktop and server both still run 9.10. I've no intention of changing that soon, even though I used always upgrade to the latest and greatest, it simply takes too long for me to get every single thing the way I want it. I'm working on a bash script though to install and setup my programs the way I want them, copy over and configure themes, fonts, etc etc etc. There's a lot to each upgrade.

My encoding server, second desktop, and laptop all run 10.04 at the moment. I'll upgrade the Laptop to Maverick when my Compact Flash card and CF to IDE convertor arrive. I plan on doing a small install, with Openbox and the minimum I can get away with, all on an 8GB CF card.

SSD on the cheap :)

Bachstelze
September 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Yup, switched my last Lucid system today.

Cavsfan
September 23rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
So everyone likes the cutting edge stuff I guess. I just have one PC and I have needed to do a couple of new installs since
Lucid was beta. My fault and not Lucid's; the last being after the 10.04.1 64 bit OS was released. Which was well worth it!

I have learned that you will loose something you didn't want to loose; be it an application, a document, an MP3, etc. I am
going to hold out as long as I can to the LTS. Especially after I found I could install the newest nVidia driver. I am currently
on version 260.19.06 and the one from the Repository is 185. I have Cairo-Dock and Compiz and Emerald WM. I have stuff
set to "burn" when I open or close a window and I am amazed every time I do it. Also I have it set to "Beam Up" when minimize
or maximize a window and I am amazed by that also! :)

Lucid has been Berry Berry good to me...
Time will tell what happens though...

lxlv01
September 23rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I have just completed installing lucid on my machines and i am perfectly happy. I like staying with the LTS version and Karmic was a disaster for me. Too many issues and very unstable on my hardware. I am very happy that Lucid corrected everything so i don't see myself changing my production machines for the foreseeable future. I am leaving Lucid on my gf's laptop too (dual boot), she is happy with it, rarely uses Win any more so no real reason to upset her with a new thing.

of course, i will follow 10.10 from a live usb, and maybe installing in a new external disk i am buying to see what how it is. and i have a desktop in the house which is a dual boot, and the windows part is a mess. a rearrangement is needed, so this this will go directly to 10.10. hope i could throw win completely out of it but well my parents won't be very happy with this.

sanderella
September 23rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
10:04 is working fine for me, best release yet. If it aint broke don't fix it.:KS

sdowney717
September 23rd, 2010, 10:55 PM
already on it. I tend to go with betas to get ahead of the crowd.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 24th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I will stay with the 10.04 LTS on most of my computers. My interests have moved to services like DNS, LDAP, and private cloud.

I may install 10.10 as a VM in my private cloud.

vaustvest
September 24th, 2010, 01:24 AM
No, i have a stable working "just works" 10.04 LTS desktop to do my every day needs.
But i have a spare partition to play with other distro and probably 10.10.

julio_cortez
September 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I think I'd stick with 10.04 until I format again. Then, we'll see what happens. If 10.10 will prove stable and reliable, I can also consider switching. But no dist-upgrade or on-purpose formatting for me this time.

If it aint broke don't fix it.:KSVery very sensible statement.
I had to learn it myself the hard way while dist-upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04 though, so I won't make the same mistake again :D

Zlatan
September 24th, 2010, 10:45 AM
definitely switch when MM is released. i always upgrade to latest ubuntu, find'em stable enough for my everyday use and work:)

greenfrog
September 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
No, I use the LTS versions, the bleeding edge is not what I want.

geirknappen
September 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I do it this way:

I already have ubuntu 9.04 and 10.04.1 installed, and when 10.10 comes I'll install it next to 9.04 and 10.04.1 (like a triple bot). When ubuntu 11.04 comes, I'll have to decide if 9.04 10.04.1 or 10.10 will be sacrificed to make rom for ubuntu 11.04.

When 10.10 is new, I test s-video,usb ports, copying data from a ntfs filesystem, placing icons on on the gnome panel and resart computer, going on and of from hibernation mode, printing a document,plus much more. If something does not work, and I try again after some weeks. I'll delete it if it does not work well after 2 months.

ukripper
September 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM
just on test machine machine. Sticking to 10.04 on production machines.

MasterNetra
September 24th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Already have, on it right now.

PhilGil
September 24th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I'll be sticking with 10.04. It's stable, it's currently working well, and I'm tired of all the upgrade headaches I've encountered.

unclefrancis
September 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I tried maverick a little while back and messed up my dependencies with a partial update. I know it was my own fault but I'm sticking with 10.04 because it's working well for me. I'll be checking out reviews for sure after the official release.

BrokenKingpin
September 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I will move my Desktops/Laptops/Netbooks to it when it is officially released, and I will be leaving my server on 10.04 until the next LTS release.

CompyTheInsane
September 24th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Laptop: Already switched for the sake of going bleeding edge.
PC: Can't upgrade to 10.10 because of FGLRX.

philinux
September 24th, 2010, 08:39 PM
You really cant go wrong with having /home on it's own partition. Makes reinstalling a doddle as all program settings etc are preserved.

Takes me about 45 minutes to completely reinstall including all extra progs.

I test on drive two then install the latest on my main drive come the RC.

Blackra1n
September 24th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Sure.

BrokenKingpin
September 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM
You really cant go wrong with having /home on it's own partition. Makes reinstalling a doddle as all program settings etc are preserved.

Indeed a good idea. I store everything on my server, so I don't even bother doing that now.

Cavsfan
September 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM

Indeed a good idea. I store everything on my server, so I don't even bother doing that now.

So, that's the answer? Put /home on it's own partition and you don't loose anything with an upgrade or a reinstall?
That would be way cool!

Seņor Banana
September 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I may, I'll have to test it out on another pc before I convert this system over to it.

johnystevenson
September 24th, 2010, 11:42 PM
lucid has been great, can't believe 6 months have nearly passed. Erm yes here

oldsoundguy
September 24th, 2010, 11:46 PM
So, that's the answer? Put /home on it's own partition and you don't loose anything with an upgrade or a reinstall?
That would be way cool!

Or put it on a thumb drive (That's what I do) and just import it back once your fresh install has been done and you're back in business!

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
September 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm keeping 10.04 on the desktop for now, I'll probably upgrade (clean install) on my netbook though.

cpmman
September 25th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Natch - my test USB external has upgraded beautifully so a quick copy of working internal 10.04 to external then upgrade internal soon as 10.10 official. (Still think Nonsensical Nomenclature Overriding Omniscient Pretentious Posits Qualify Questionable Resolutions Requiring Simulacronous Synonyms Tempting Terrible Undeniably Useless Vestigial Versions Worth Western Xenophilic Xenix Yesterday's Young Zebrafish Zealots). So there.

phrostbyte
September 25th, 2010, 04:02 AM
You betchya!

betrunkenaffe
September 25th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Probably not. Unless there's a huge list of features that would interest me. I don't have a touch screen so don't care about that, it looks the same (background has been and always will be non-basic) and haven't had problems with Lucid (except power management).

Don't want to reinstall, don't want to reinstall all my programs and don't have time.

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Maverick Meerkat RC is out . Just days to go before release. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/ubuntu-1010-maverick-meerkat-release.html

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Maverick Meerkat RC is out . Just days to go before release. Not Officialhttp://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/ubuntu-1010-maverick-meerkat-release.html

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Post loaded twice ? sorry

23meg
September 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Maverick Meerkat RC is out . Just days to go before release.

No, it's not out. Blogs typically post such "news" many hours in advance of the release announcement to get more traffic, which leads people to download unreleased and potentially broken images that are subject to change any time, and slow down the syncing of the mirrors, which makes the release process harder.

Please wait for official release announcements and don't give these folks ad money and Google juice that they don't deserve by linking to their "news".

maddbaron
September 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM
sticking with 10.04....finally got my system working how i want, the applications work fine... in 2 yrs i'll upgrade to the next lts when i upgrade laptops, reinstalling is frustrating getting my system how i want it can be annoying i'll stay with what now works....what i am gonna do is remove windows 7 from this laptop and go full ubuntu shortly...

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2010, 02:47 PM
No, it's not out. Blogs typically post such "news" many hours in advance of the release announcement to get more traffic, which leads people to download unreleased and potentially broken images that are subject to change any time, and slow down the syncing of the mirrors, which makes the release process harder.

Please wait for official release announcements and don't give these folks ad money and Google juice that they don't deserve by linking to their "news".

Sorry if the information is incorrect . I was not aware that this would possibly be posted prior to the official release as an attempt create hits on the site. I will keep this in mind before posting links to blogs . This is just a site I visit from time to time.

Slug71
September 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Maverick Meerkat RC is out . Just days to go before release. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/09/ubuntu-1010-maverick-meerkat-release.html

It will most likely only officially be out in about another 8/9 hours.

23meg
September 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
You can receive the official release announcement by subscribing to the ubuntu-announce mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-announce). You can also check for the announcement via the web archive of the mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-September/date.html), or wait for announcements to be posted on the Ubuntu Release Blog (http://release-blog.ubuntu.com/), or Maverick Meerkat Testing and Discussion (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=385) forum here.

samalex
September 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM

This is me as well. Unless they make some major leaps and bounds within a mid-cycle release I don't plan on leaving 10.04 for a while.

I was surprised to see so many people in the poll saying they were moving to 10.10. 10.04 was such an improvement from 9.04, which is what my laptop had before, and my reasons to move then were for LTS and for the extra bells and whistles with 10.04. But will 10.10 really be that much of a leap from 10.04? Or is it some people just like to have the latest and greatest? I'm not one to upgrade just for the sake of upgrade.

reyfer
September 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
If Ubuntu 10.10 RC is not yet out.....how come Kubuntu 10.10 RC is OFFICIALLY out since 4 hours ago?
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-10.10-rc

Cavsfan
September 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
If Ubuntu 10.10 RC is not yet out.....how come Kubuntu 10.10 RC is OFFICIALLY out since 4 hours ago?
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-10.10-rc

What is this then: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-10-RC-Available-for-Download-Now-158823.shtml (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-10-RC-Available-for-Download-Now-158823.shtml)

reyfer
September 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I was asking because Frogs Hair announced CORRECTLY that the RC was out and some here went heavy on him/her saying it was not so, and it seemed odd that Ubuntu's RC would not be out if Kubuntu's was

Lucifer The Dark
September 30th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Does it work better than Lucid on the same hardware?

Cavsfan
September 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I was asking because Frogs Hair announced CORRECTLY that the RC was out and some here went heavy on him/her saying it was not so, and it seemed odd that Ubuntu's RC would not be out if Kubuntu's was

I believe it said that was posted within minutes when I searched for it, so it is "fresh"!

Does it work better than Lucid on the same hardware?

I voted I have no idea, but I am going to stick with Lucid as it has gotten a lot better and I do not want to encounter any problems.
Lucid does everything I want it to do and then some.

98cwitr
September 30th, 2010, 06:18 PM
ill probably be making the switch in Dec or Jan...at least a few months after 10.10's release. Im using 10.10 on a VM @ work though, had one bug show up but not detrimental to the system's functionality.

23meg
September 30th, 2010, 07:00 PM

I don't think I said anything harsh. And the post I replied to was not correct; the RC has only been released ten minutes ago.

kgarbutt
September 30th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I made the switch two weeks ago. 10.10 is vastly superior to 10.04. I'm running 10.10 on a machine that gave me much trouble with 10.04. Go for it and install 10.10.

Frogs Hair
September 30th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I don't think I said anything harsh. And the post I replied to was not correct; the RC has only been released ten minutes ago.

Forgotten ! I'm glad the RC is out and there are only 10 days left to wait , I prefer the final release .

Drevan
September 30th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I am already using the beta right now. It seems to be the same, don't see many changes.

Cavsfan
September 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM
OK, lets say I did want to go to 10.10, could I just upgrade?
I have always used a clean install, but just wondering if that would work.

mamamia88
September 30th, 2010, 09:47 PM
just started the upgrade process. figured it should be stable by now. here's hoping

AllRadioisDead
September 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
OK, lets say I did want to go to 10.10, could I just upgrade?
I have always used a clean install, but just wondering if that would work.

sudo upgrade-manager -d

Cavsfan
September 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM
sudo upgrade-manager -d

Thanks! I thought I seen that command recently. And even if I end up messing it up. I can still back up stuff and clean install.

23meg
September 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
sudo upgrade-manager -d

That should be
update-manager -d
and you don't need sudo.

Cavsfan
September 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
That should be
update-manager -dand you don't need sudo.

Thanks! I am wondering if I should go for it or not... It couldn't do that much harm could it?
I would still be able to back my stuff up and re-install one or the other.
The more I hear about Maverick the more I think I should. :-D

anacrolix
September 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I won't be switching, at least on my netbook. The new Unity is way too slow. As for it can't do harm, it often does, a clean install is always safer with Ubuntu if you can afford to do it. Keep your stuff in a separate /home partition.

bokgeneraal
October 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM
No Way!!
I finally have most things working fine in Lucid.:KS
This is the annoying thing about upgrading, there's always a program not supported in the newer version right away.
So no thanx!

bokgeneraal
October 1st, 2010, 01:21 PM
This is the one

This is how Ubuntu's new release is always marketed in fullcircle and the like.
Always asking if this just might be the system that will blow newbies away and make users ditch XP,Vista and windows7. ( not Mac , way too expense to ditch ).
Still love Ubuntu ( It's the concept of humanity):P

bartos
October 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Sticking with 10.04.
Runs good and getting annoyed with upgrading every 6 months.
I think yearly should be the norm.

bdr529
October 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM
Yes, i did it today, but it was little bit disappointing...

With all of the last 3 Upgrades, i had Problems with NVIDIA and the audio system. I had to fix it with the help of the community.

And now? Nothing. After 105 Minutes of upgrading, everything worked fine. This is boring... :P

Greets
BDR529

qamelian
October 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM
I won't be switching, at least on my netbook. The new Unity is way too slow. As for it can't do harm, it often does, a clean install is always safer with Ubuntu if you can afford to do it. Keep your stuff in a separate /home partition.
I wish people would stop saying that. A clean install is not always safer. Neither Intrepid nor Lucid could even be installed on my laptop from a clean install. They both had to be upgraded from the previous version in order to work because of kernel issues. Even then, Lucid would only work with either the Karmic realtime kernel or the 2.6.35 kernel from mainline.

Lucradia
October 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Good thing all the banners are 404 (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/countdown), really puts off some new users.

skeebo
October 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
I just spent way too much time migrating 3 different machines to 10.04, so no way. I'll definitely be waiting for 12.04.

danbuter
October 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM
I'll wait a few weeks following release, and then I might upgrade. Not totally decided yet, though I would like the new alsa module.

In general, the newer your computer, the better off you'll be upgrading.

wojox
October 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM
I just upgraded this morning, being it's "rc" now.

cra1g321
October 1st, 2010, 05:53 PM
i replaced my Linux Mint 9 with ubuntu 10.10 RC today. Defiently feels more smoother and speedier to use than 10.04. Think il keep it til i see what LM10 has to offer

Fabbritzio
October 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
As soon as the stable release it's out, i will try to update. Generally the servers are overloaded in the first few days.

HangukMiguk
October 2nd, 2010, 02:40 AM
Depends on how many bugs are still in when it releases and whether there are any regressions between the two. I literally just got my RadeonX graphics card working admirably enough in Lucid, and if there's any regressions in Maverick, I'd rather skip it than not have my games working yet again.

Pidgin not having resource leaks would maybe lure me there anyway (Big wish). Got tired of Pidgin bogging down my CPU to 100% usage and having to pkill it every 2 hours (used to be 8-9 hours on Karmic) and switched to finch. No sound FTL.

hhh
October 2nd, 2010, 03:55 AM
Absolutely not, for 3 reasons, the first being that there aren't enough improvements in the Meerkat desktop edition to warrant it. The second but more important reason is that I already know that Ubuntu upgrades don't like my hardware (maybe my integrated Nvidia card?) as I've attempted 2 of them and my system has ended up borked twice. Finally, if I want cutting edge I have a partition running aptosid.

Queue29
October 2nd, 2010, 04:50 AM
No, but only because I'm getting really tired of configuring things. 10.04 has been working quite well for the past 5 months, and while I'm sure 10.10 will work just as well, I'm not interested in spending time getting things back to the way they are now.

bigbrovar
October 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
The only thing holding me back from upgrading is this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/582809 which affects laptops which uses the new "clickpads" in place of traditional touchpads ( just about every all new laptops) when that is fixed I hope to upgrade

mamamia88
October 2nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I just upgraded a few days ago. Compiz crashes occcasionaly but that is fixed in about five seconds by alt+f2 and running compiz. don't notice much difference over lucid to be honest

yabbadabbadont
October 2nd, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'll wait until at least the 96xx series nvidia binary drivers are ready. Probably longer.

October 3rd, 2010, 12:19 AM
I tried 10.10 and then went back to 10.04... Not enough interest to switch right now......... I don't mind waiting a little bit

boublik
October 3rd, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'm happy with 10.04 LTS and getting used to it, wont bother changing until another LTS version comes out, it's an LTS for God's sake!!

jjakspaw6
October 3rd, 2010, 01:57 AM
I might switch to check it out....

I'm using karmic right now just because my video and wireless work almost flawlessly. Neither would work in Lucid.

5dolla
October 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM

rolling releases are great atleast until they break then you reinstall lol. ive never had
a arch install last over a year before its own updates seriously break it.

Fableflame
October 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I just did a clean install of Maverick Release Candidate.
Over all I really like it, I haven't run into any problems yet.

mamamia88
October 4th, 2010, 04:10 PM
mine is pretty buggy but i'm too lazy to downgrade

cprofitt
October 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Currently there is a regressing affecting Nvidia cards that may make me re-build my T61p and continue with 10.04 for a while longer. Currently my T61p and T500 are both running Maverick.

sideaway
October 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM
I'll be switching to Ubuntu 10.10 on 10/10/2010 :)

I like nice numbers. I always like new releases.

Cavsfan
October 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I just did. I wasn't going to, but somehow couldn't help myself :P
I used Update Manager and it kept getting errors until I just left only the top 2 software sources ticked. Then it went fine.
It took almost 2 hours give or take. And the only problem I see so far is I had to disable Compiz Wallpaper effect
with 4 different wallpapers as it kept messing up. But it looks great now. and I still have my nVidia drivers 260.19.06 installed. :P
I just have one problem: I have to find another wallpaper other than this one:

http://ompldr.org/tNXE0bQ (http://ompldr.org/vNXE0bQ)

And I had to make minimal changes to GRUB2 via the tutorial in my signature and it's back just like it was with Lucid. :P
I really liked that upgrade option as I didn't have to backup my documents, pictures and the whole shebang!
I got Cairo Dock, Compiz, Emerald back along with Gstreamer plugins, pretty painless operation. It can only get better I guess.

Dugger5688
October 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Made the switch on my laptop, the proprietary broadcom-STA drivers don't seem to get along with the new kernel. I'll hold off on my main machine. I usually skip the release right after LTS for awhile since it tends to be the release with the greatest leap in software versions/features. Which also means most buggy (at least initially).

Lucid is just so awesome for me right now anyway! Can't imagine switching.

shadowfax1
October 5th, 2010, 04:37 AM
64bit on the lappy 32bit on the desktop...luv it!

Spr0k3t
October 5th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Did a disk dupe and tested it out... flawless migration (unlike the jump from 9.10 to 10.04). Tested it out on four other systems... excellent so far, not one hiccup. I'm going to wait until the final release before doing the migration for my business clients.

lisati
October 5th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I was thinking of using 4.10.

I have 6.06 on one of my machines :D

I'm waiting a bit: I've only just updated my server to 9.10!

Dustin2128
October 5th, 2010, 07:17 AM
my older systems will be replaced through attrition mainly. I still have a hardy system up and running, but my new desktop's running meerkat and my medi-desktop is lucid. I really need to go to sleep now, I thought penguin started with an l for a second there...

the.dark.lord
October 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM

+1

Unless, I shift to BSD (thinking of trying it for a while) before it.

ivanovnegro
October 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM
No I will not move.
I will stay first on Lucid but with Mint and when I have time I will move to Linux Mint Debian Edition.
The newest stuff I have on my Arch install.

Dragonbite
October 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I almost always update my laptop to see if there are any significant benefits. If there are, like a new version being able to support my webcam, then I may look at upgrading the family desktop. If not, then it stays with the LTS version.

So I get to play with the new toys AND keep the stable system at the same time!

Plus I hope 10.10 includes the latest patch for the Intel 855 issue so I don't have to do it manually.

Terry Maker
October 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Yes I have Switched, yesterday and I am still evaluating, being new (18 months or so), to Ubuntu, I'm still finding my feet.

The new version looks good, but When Oh When is the Dell 9XX AIO printer series going to be supported? And, on my 10 year old Clevo 5100S the desktop, and several of the applications are now "Too Big" for the display, even in reduced mode. Not everyone runs an "all singing, all dancing, wide screen laptop".

The graphics are great, and so is the speed, but I still have a CD Rom that doesn't function, although its recognised as there, and a printer with the same problem!

Terry M

Joe of loath
October 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I installed 10.10 on my recording PC. Definitely worth switching from 10.04! Still using 10.04 on the main desktop though, I CBF to reinstall every 6 months.

Gremlinzzz
October 20th, 2010, 12:28 PM
The Switch To Maverick Meerkat!soon as it was released.very good system.
If your a newbie checkout the guide.
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Maverick

NikoC
October 21st, 2010, 08:24 AM
Hmmz, after messing around with my 10.04 installation and ruining my font settings I made the switch to 10.10 after all :P
Got everything up and running again, no drawbacks for me (except for a couple of function keys on my laptop, a sony vaio VGN-NS21Z, which I managed to find a workaround for)!

I also removed the Ubuntu font, which I like for presentations, but not as my standard desktop font.

speedwell68
October 21st, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have switched my netbook over to 10.10, but I haven't got round to my Desktop yet. TBH I'm not sure it is worth the swap. I have modified my 10.04 that much I'm not sure I'd get much more out of it on 10.10. I made the swap to the Ubuntu font a while back and I have to say that now I have got used to it I think it is a great font.

UbuNoob001
October 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
For now, I plan to stick with 10.04 mainly because 10.04 is the only release thus for me that works great with my hardware (I have a Dell inspiron 1545). With others, 10.10 included CPU issues abound.

On the surface at least, and perhaps even under the hood, 10.10 seems great, just not ready personally to change something that works great for me.

Dragonbite
October 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
After what happened last night, I am definitely switching my laptop over.

See, for 10.04 I got caught by the Intel 855 bug. It is a pain to have to add parameters during bootup and adding special PPA's to get the graphics to work.

It is working alright with the patches in 10.04, but not perfect and if I wanted to try something, like Kubuntu, I have to go through all that figuring out again!

Last night I burned a 10.10 CD and gave it a try. It worked!* So I currently have 10.10 installed on a testing hard drive, but once I get the opportunity I am going to replace my "production" Ubuntu with 10.10.

I still am not touching the desktop because that is and has been working fine. All I've done is added the backports repositories in case they put anything there.