PDA

View Full Version : history of Ubuntu Linux

ubuntu_demon
April 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Hi,

I follow a master course called "history of computing" at my university. I have to write an essay about some topic.

On may 8 I have to deliver a pleliminary setup of the paper.

Name Paper setup, due May 8, 2006
Instructions Choose your subject for a paper on the history of computing as presented in this course.
Submit a preliminary setup of the paper, including
= title,
= main research question and subthemes,
= sources to be addressed (litterature)

The final paper has to be 4000 words in length.

I don't know whether the topic will be accepted by the teachers. I don't know what they have in mind. Maybe they want us to cover things they have discussed more in depth or something. Currently I'm just brainstorming.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to write an esssay about the history of Ubuntu Linux ?

More specific questions :
Is the history of Ubuntu Linux important enough ?
Is the history of Ubuntu Linux relevant to the history of computing ?
Is there enough material to write 4000 words about the the history of Ubuntu Linux ?
Is scientific literature available?
What's a good angle / focus to this story (main research question and subthemes) ?

I think so but I'd like your opinions. Here are my preliminary answers on these questions :

Currently Ubuntu is one of the most used Linuxes on the desktop. IMHO Ubuntu influences Linux on the desktop. So If Linux on the desktop will become important so will be the history of Ubuntu.

IMHO currently it's not very relevant to the general history of computing. But If Linux on the desktop will become important so will be the history of Ubuntu.

Is there enough material to write 4000 words about the the history of Ubuntu Linux ?

I can start with writing something about the history of linux, some about the history of debian, some about the history of the free software foundation / the open source movement and finally at least half of the essay about the history of Ubuntu itself.

There is information about warty,hoary,breezy and dapper on the wiki (specs,releaseproces,howto's). Also the wiki community in itself is interesting.

Old presentations and release announcements are probably interesting.

Our forums. The community chat and Ubuntu Testimonials on this forum give insight to how our community percieves Ubuntu. General techy forums like linuxquestions.org and gathering.tweakers.net (dutch) give an insight.

What's written on the techy news sites is also interesting. The sheer amount of Ubuntu news on techy sites is also interesting. Blogs are interesting.

For example about Linux / Desktop Linux / Ubuntu / Linux community / Ubuntu community / Debian community / free software movement. I need to know what's available.

What's a good angle / focus to this story ? (main research question and subthemes)

I haven't made my mind up yet. Maybe our community or how Ubuntu including community is preceived on the techy news sites ?

edit : When I wrote this I thought it should be 400 words but instead it has to have 4000 words

bjweeks
April 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I think linux it self or debian would be better topics.

mvaniersel
April 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I don't know if it is important enough for your class, but I would definitely be interested in reading it, especially if it is well written. Of course you should tie the various influences (unix, linux, debian) into your story. If you want to read more about the history of linux itself, I recommend you read the book "Just for fun" by David Diamond and Linus Torvalds. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/38b2/)

Time will tell, I think.

Is there enough material to write 400 words about the the history of Ubuntu Linux
Dude, your post about this subject alone was over 400 words. 400 words is nothing. You could write an essay about todays weather and have a hard time fitting it under 400 words.

What's a good angle / focus to this story ?

It's always nice to get an idea about why things happened the way they did, instead of just a dry account of what happened when.

GarethMB
April 10th, 2006, 10:48 AM
i think the history of ubuntu linux is important in what it means for the future. Shuttleworth's promise to always provide a full copy of ubuntu for no charge. You could talk about a new form of ethics that ubuntu promotes. Enough for 400 words? Eaisily.

ubuntu_demon
April 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I think linux it self or debian would be better topics.
No I'm primary interested in Ubuntu. (I started using linux before Ubuntu but only used it for my desktop since Ubuntu)

ubuntu_demon
April 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM
i think the history of ubuntu linux is important in what it means for the future. Shuttleworth's promise to always provide a full copy of ubuntu for no charge. You could talk about a new form of ethics that ubuntu promotes. Enough for 400 words? Eaisily.
Nice idea. Can be an important subtheme.

ubuntu_demon
April 10th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I don't know if it is important enough for your class, but I would definitely be interested in reading it, especially if it is well written. Of course you should tie the various influences (unix, linux, debian) into your story. If you want to read more about the history of linux itself, I recommend you read the book "Just for fun" by David Diamond and Linus Torvalds. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/38b2/)

thnx!

Dude, your post about this subject alone was over 400 words. 400 words is nothing. You could write an essay about todays weather and have a hard time fitting it under 400 words.

Yeah you're right. No problem there probably :-D

It's always nice to get an idea about why things happened the way they did, instead of just a dry account of what happened when.

I fully agree.

curuxz
April 10th, 2006, 12:59 PM
400 words for a masters course???

I am at uni too and have never had anything smaller than 2000, only last week I had 3 days to write a 4000 word paper with only a 5% margin on the word count!

I would love to know what university alows you to do papers that small, maybe ill transfer!

PS: Im doing a BA (hons) so mine should be easy compared with an MA

adamkane
April 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM
More words = more fluff. Depth not breadth.

briancurtin
April 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
adamkane brings up a great point.

hoarythehedgehog2009
April 10th, 2006, 09:19 PM
"Using Breezy as a sole OS since 10/3/2006"
sry hasn't happened yet...heehee ^^^^^^ 8)

hoarythehedgehog2009
April 10th, 2006, 09:20 PM
"Using Breezy as a sole OS since 10/3/2006"
sry hasn't happened yet...heehee ^^^^^^ 8)
oh i'm so stupid you're not american i should be laughing at myself...:)

aysiu
April 10th, 2006, 11:51 PM
More words = more fluff. Depth not breadth. But you still need enough words for in-depth content. You can't write anything too "deep" about Ubuntu in ten words.

More words does not necessarily equal more fluff. I'd say in order to have a point, explain it, and substantiate it with examples, you need at least 750 words... unless you're not using complete sentences.

GarethMB
April 11th, 2006, 12:04 AM
oh i'm so stupid you're not american i should be laughing at myself...:)
If we were allowed more than 3 lines in our sig, i'd put every instance of doing that in it.8)

woedend
April 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM
i think you most definetely should incorporate debian. Not in depth, but a brief background would help people understand why ubuntu is so popular and why it came about. perhaps something about debian being around for 10 years or so, being rock solid and having great feature, but due to its volunteer base and package management hierarchy, has a slow klutzy development, this is where shuttleworth thought he would make it easier, faster and more stable development, and funded the development of nonameyet, later ubuntu and go from there.

adamkane
April 11th, 2006, 04:05 AM
aysiu -

As the most helpful forum person out there, you are absolutely right. It's the first critical post, I've seen you write.

My experience in university says that you should make your points succinctly and well, and you should know your audience (your professor) and the purpose of the paper (say something original and critical with few words).

Your point is well taken.

To do well with the paper, I would recommend contacting someone in Ubuntu or Debian, and asking some questions. Be sure to ask some open-ended questions as well, in case the person has something to say that you wouldn't have expected.

ubuntu_demon
April 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
400 words for a masters course???

I am at uni too and have never had anything smaller than 2000, only last week I had 3 days to write a 4000 word paper with only a 5% margin on the word count!

I would love to know what university alows you to do papers that small, maybe ill transfer!

PS: Im doing a BA (hons) so mine should be easy compared with an MA
There's also an exam. It's not an obligated course IMHO that's why it's only 400 words.

ubuntu_demon
April 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
i think you most definetely should incorporate debian. Not in depth, but a brief background would help people understand why ubuntu is so popular and why it came about. perhaps something about debian being around for 10 years or so, being rock solid and having great feature, but due to its volunteer base and package management hierarchy, has a slow klutzy development, this is where shuttleworth thought he would make it easier, faster and more stable development, and funded the development of nonameyet, later ubuntu and go from there.
If I decide to do this and the teacher agrees with the subject there will be something about debian in it ofcourse.

ubuntu_demon
April 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM
aysiu -
To do well with the paper, I would recommend contacting someone in Ubuntu or Debian, and asking some questions. Be sure to ask some open-ended questions as well, in case the person has something to say that you wouldn't have expected.

Good suggestion

I'm still brainstorming whether it's a good topic for me. If I think it is I'll ask the teacher ... if he agrees only then will the serious work start.

ubuntu_demon
May 6th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I made mistake a it's 4000 words instead of 400 :-D

(Haven't decided on the topic yet. I'll probably mail the teacher that I'll talk to him on wednesday about deciding a topic for the essay because I've a deadline on 9 may for another course.)

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hi,

I follow a master course called "history of computing" at my university. I have to write an essay about some topic.

On may 8 I have to deliver a pleliminary setup of the paper.

The final paper has to be 4000 words in length.

I don't know whether the topic will be accepted by the teachers. I don't know what they have in mind. Maybe they want us to cover things they have discussed more in depth or something. Currently I'm just brainstorming.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to write an esssay about the history of Ubuntu Linux ?

More specific questions :
What's a good angle / focus to this story (main research question and subthemes) ?

I think so but I'd like your opinions. Here are my preliminary answers on these questions :

Currently Ubuntu is one of the most used Linuxes on the desktop. IMHO Ubuntu influences Linux on the desktop. So If Linux on the desktop will become important so will be the history of Ubuntu.

IMHO currently it's not very relevant to the general history of computing. But If Linux on the desktop will become important so will be the history of Ubuntu.

Is there enough material to write 400 words about the the history of Ubuntu Linux ?

I can start with writing something about the history of linux, some about the history of debian, some about the history of the free software foundation / the open source movement and finally at least half of the essay about the history of Ubuntu itself.

There is information about warty,hoary,breezy and dapper on the wiki (specs,releaseproces,howto's). Also the wiki community in itself is interesting.

Old presentations and release announcements are probably interesting.

Our forums. The community chat and Ubuntu Testimonials on this forum give insight to how our community percieves Ubuntu. General techy forums like linuxquestions.org and gathering.tweakers.net (dutch) give an insight.

What's written on the techy news sites is also interesting. The sheer amount of Ubuntu news on techy sites is also interesting. Blogs are interesting.

For example about Linux / Desktop Linux / Ubuntu / Linux community / Ubuntu community / Debian community / free software movement. I need to know what's available.

What's a good angle / focus to this story ? (main research question and subthemes)

I haven't made my mind up yet. Maybe our community or how Ubuntu including community is preceived on the techy news sites ?

edit : I made mistake a it's 4000 words instead of 400 :-D

Computer history and you chose Ubuntu? You'd fail so badly if it was my class, in fact, i'd consider a history of Linux itself for a C and a complete history for an A.

Start from the bottom, inclulde the subforks, eventforks and primary forks, specialize on one but not as close as to a distro.

Christ, the youth of today...

ubuntu_demon
May 6th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Computer history and you chose Ubuntu? You'd fail so badly if it was my class, in fact, i'd consider a history of Linux itself for a C and a complete history for an A.

Start from the bottom, inclulde the subforks, eventforks and primary forks, specialize on one but not as close as to a distro.

Christ, the youth of today...
It's just an idea. I haven't decided on anything yet. And I haven't talked to the teacher yet.

But it's good to focus on something ... it's only a small assignment. It's not meant to be months of work.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 09:43 PM
It's just an idea. I haven't decided on anything yet. And I haven't talked to the teacher yet.

But it's good to focus on something ... it's only a small assignment. It's not meant to be months of work.

Focus in the OS world would be the development of a strain of kernels, of a version of OS's built using that kernel, not on a distribution as obscure and new as Ubuntu.

Look, i really don't know how not to be an a-hole about this, i really don't mean any harm, but seriously, think about it, it's like making an essay on the membet line of aftermarket rear back view mirrors.

How interesting would that be?

I'd be glad to help you out if you want to put the effort into making this a Linux/BSD or whatever systems analysis and development report.

'K?

helpme
May 6th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Focus in the OS world would be the development of a strain of kernels, of a version of OS's built using that kernel
I'd be glad to help you out if you want to put the effort into making this a Linux/BSD or whatever systems analysis and development report.
'K?
Look, I really don't know how not to be an a-hole about this, but I'd really would like to see you write something meaningful about the topics you mentioned in 4000 words...

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Look, I really don't know how not to be an a-hole about this, but I'd really would like to see you write something meaningful about the topics you mentioned in 4000 words...

Unless you are completely fvcked in the head that shouldn't be a problem.

Why would it be, you simply structure it and set aside a number of pages for each time frame and evaluation and end it with a longer evealuation and an explanation of how and why.

Christ, i could do this in less than two hours WITHOUT the net.

ubuntu_demon
May 6th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I'm doing the course for fun. It's a broad course for a couple of points. It's not like it's a research project of a couple of months.

Guys I was just brainstorming. I don't know what subject I'll pick. I haven't made a decision yet. I haven't spend time on it other than typing it here.

Also I thought it was 400 words but I discovered later that it should be 4000 words.

But please be more polite.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I'm doing the course for fun. It's a broad course for a couple of points. It's not like it's a research project of a couple of months.

Guys I was just brainstorming. I don't know what subject I'll pick. I haven't made a decision yet. I haven't spend time on it other than typing it here.

But please be more polite.

Sorry and ok.

If i'd use a distro i would use Slackware, Pat is generally very generous when it comes to history and the usenet is filled of it, either that or Red Hat, you'll find as much or even more there.

But personally, i'd concentrate on Linux and it's heritage, flip by the distros such as the first "slackware" and mention the others passing by in history.

GNU plays a large part in the whole deal, maybe i'd like to fork the history into two and tie the time frames, it would make for something to catch the readers eye.

helpme
May 6th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Christ, i could do this in less than two hours WITHOUT the net.
Please do and post it here. I'd really be interested.
I mean, you being a kernel hacker and all.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Please do and post it here. I'd really be interested.
I mean, you being a kernel hacker and all.

I'm not, i'm a FreeBSD dev, and give me an incentive and i'll post more information i have written than you can ever understand.

helpme
May 6th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'm not, i'm a FreeBSD dev, and give me an incentive and i'll post more information i have written than you can ever understand.
LOL.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM
LOL.

Yeah, the reply of the idiot generation, "LOL", how very unexpected. :rolleyes:

aysiu
May 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah, he posted a LOL when i explained to him who i was, not condescending at all huh? I believe helpme was laughing out loud about this part of your post...
give me an incentive and i'll post more information i have written than you can ever understand. ... not this part...
i'm a FreeBSD dev

ubuntu_demon
May 7th, 2006, 12:44 AM
That Mandicka keeps this crap going and warns me about posts i make to his account is hilarious though, i wonder if he ever gets confused "am i a poster or a mod"?

Please respect the Forum Staff. See : from http://www.ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

Christ i didn't mean to cause such a ruckus here, i'm actually a nice guy believe it or not.

Just read your posts over before clicking the "submit reply" button and think a moment. You should use a bit more consideration and be a bit more polite.

from http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct :

Be respectful. The Ubuntu community and its members treat one another with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. We may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It's important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with people outside the Ubuntu project, and with users of Ubuntu.

Let's just all be nice to eachother here :)

TheCaptain
May 7th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Just read your posts over before clicking the "submit reply" button and think a moment. You should use a bit more consideration and be a bit more polite.

from http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct :

Let's just all be nice to eachother here :)

I have found that in at least one case i have been disrespectful against someone who was disrespectful and i was the one who got the warning, then i got a warning for explaining it to the mod.

Ok, ok, this isn't like our mailinglists, the sad thing is that Linus could add a lot here but wouldn't last more than one mod post that he woudl have talked back to, think about it, realize that not every piece of good information comes in a pretty package. ;)

But ok, since you ask so nicely and all. ;)

Stay strong big guy.

ubuntu_demon
May 7th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I have found that in at least one case i have been disrespectful against someone who was disrespectful and i was the one who got the warning, then i got a warning for explaining it to the mod.

If you have a problem with a post please report it or use the resolution center : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Ok, ok, this isn't like our mailinglists, the sad thing is that Linus could add a lot here but wouldn't last more than one mod post that he woudl have talked back to, think about it, realize that not every piece of good information comes in a pretty package. ;)

Our forums is different than such mailinglists. Being respectful and considerate is very important here. We try to uphold the forum guidelines and the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.

But ok, since you ask so nicely and all. ;)

Stay strong big guy.

thnx

ezphilosophy
May 7th, 2006, 03:34 PM
So, the topic is "Computer History". There seems some confusion in the thread as it looks like people are reading it as "History of Computers".

I'm sure your professor just wants you to write about any history in the broad area of computers. Which, if this is the case, Ubuntu is a great topic and 4000 words will be easy to complete.