PDA

View Full Version : Script to remove Kubuntu or Xubuntu in full

JimmyJazz
April 10th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I noticed several people asking how to remove KDE or XFCE completly from their installs, well this script does just that very quickly and easy.

**NOW IT ASK YOU BEFORE DESTROYING YOUR SYSTEM**

WARNING!!!
THIS SCRIPT IS NOT TESTED UNDER ALL CONDITIONS AND YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY.

I have only tested it to remove xubuntu but it should work fine with kubuntu as well.

You must have meta packages ubuntu-desktop and either kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop.

HOW TO USE:

download... http://jimmyjazz.homeip.net:808/debuntu.tar.gz

tar xvf /home/james/Desktop/debuntu.tar.gz

cd ./debuntu

to remove kubuntu...

./removekubuntu.py

to remove xubuntu... (tested and works well)

./removexubuntu.py

(please note that the above two commands will remove the respected meta packages only after comparing them to the standard ubuntu-desktop package, hence reverting you back to the standard gnome desktop, I will fix this to allow for other desktop packages at a later time)

to remove ubuntu Gnome version(yikes)... (a very bad idea!)

./removegubuntu.py

anyways try it out and leave comments if it works well for you (or doesn't)

**UPDATE***

added "removegubuntu.py" to remove Gnome version of ubuntu (not really a great idea if you ask me)

8-29-2006: Added even more safety precautions to the scripts, they should be safe for most all users now. Also I removed the gnome version removal script for the time being.

4-14-2006: Made scripts much safer by allowing apt to ask before removing packages, all the scripts are now mostly safe to use (as long as you have some small idea what you are doing).

eriefisher
April 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
What about ./removeubuntu.py Will this work too?

eriefisher

bjweeks
April 10th, 2006, 10:38 AM

eriefisher

No as he didnt make a ubuntu removeing script as i can see.

JimmyJazz
April 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM

eriefisher

someday perhaps, someday.

JimmyJazz
April 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM

eriefisher

actually I just updated the package with a new script called removegubuntu.py to remove the gnome ubuntu packages
try it at your own risk...
./removegubuntu.py

Thiago
April 10th, 2006, 09:14 PM
work with xubuntu here :)

thanks J

JimmyJazz
April 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM
work with xubuntu here :)

thanks J

excellent, has anyone tried it with kubuntu?

Caligula
April 13th, 2006, 02:10 PM
****!
I tried to remove KDE with it, it removed all the Gnome stuff!!
half my system is gone!

what do i do now???

should I reinstall ubuntu?

Caligula
April 13th, 2006, 02:12 PM
fortunately, I left the terminal before it deleted EVERYTHING...
so I have the synaptics, I'm in the process of downloading Gnome again now...

This was very unsuccesfull...
you did it the other way round or something...

jrib
April 13th, 2006, 02:22 PM
maybe I can suggest a '-s' argument for the script so that it only show what packages it would remove and testers will be more willing to try it :)

Caligula
April 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I downloaded Gnome again, but some of the things are not working...
And I'm still stuck with all the KDE stuff...

What do i do now?
I think I'll just get the ubuntu CD and install it all again...

JimmyJazz
April 14th, 2006, 09:38 AM

What do i do now?

oh crap sorry to hear about this problem I actually discovered it myself today. You can actually just "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" it should reinstall everything back to normal.

JimmyJazz
April 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM

What do i do now?

also you can also remove a large part of KDE base by removing the libqt packages.

JimmyJazz
April 14th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Also I just updated all the scripts so that they will now ask one by one before removing each and every package. Much much safer.

Caligula
April 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
oh, I've reinstalled Gnome, after it was totally lost(long story...).
I removed the KDE stuff manually, slow but safe...

dk_pa
May 28th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Thank you! After upgrading to Dapper one of the weird problems I had was constanting being thrown into Xubuntu. I had it loaded before but just selected when I wanted to work in it --- well nothing was working to boot Gnome by default. I decided to trash xubuntu ---- well it was detected as installed so "reinstalled" it and trashed it again -- didn't work.

Your script seems to have done the trick! I still see Xubuntu when i start my system (which is fine -- it's prettier :P ).

Thanks again.

JimmyJazz
August 30th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I just updated this script to version 2.0.5

It is much safer to use. In fact I would say that they are almost completly safe for most all users to use.

you can download the latest version at
http://jimmyjazz.homeip.net:808/debuntu.tar.gz

enjoy

aysiu
August 30th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I don't know if you're aware of this, but I also have a tutorial on how to remove these by pasting a command into the terminal... probably very similar to your script, but I don't know:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

JimmyJazz
August 30th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I don't know if you're aware of this, but I also have a tutorial on how to remove these by pasting a command into the terminal... probably very similar to your script, but I don't know:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

Mine is similar but more dynamic and faster.

Dynamic because it checks the meta packages for each version on load time.
Faster because it only tries to remove packages that are installed on your system.

Yes not a major deal but I just like doing things better.

aysiu
August 30th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Mine is similar but more dynamic and faster.

Dynamic because it checks the meta packages for each version on load time.
Faster because it only tries to remove packages that are installed on your system.

Yes not a major deal but I just like doing things better.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure you knew it existed. Yours does sound cleaner.

Whitehorse1
September 24th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I've just tried it on Kubuntu and I let the script run through completely. It did uninstall Gnome, but then reinstalled it.

My only problem is that when my system starts it still shows the initial Kubuntu screen. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!

aysiu
September 24th, 2006, 09:11 PM
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Different_usplash

Owdy
October 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Ubuntu remover arent in that package

cvmostert
December 6th, 2006, 01:21 AM
the xubuntu remover seemd to have worked for me... i just had to enter allot to remove all the stufff... just for security i installed ubuntu-desktop agian to see if i have everything... yup! done hopefully works when i reboot... dont have plans doing that soon :-)

Tirobir
January 20th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Xubuntu removal worked great although I would have liked it if it had automated the 101 confirmation dialogs.

Nevertheless great. I wanted to use Xubuntu but it had a bunch of problems, likely stemming from me apt-getting it into Kubuntu, which I apt-got into Ubuntu, both of which I had already played around with quite a bit. I would still like to switch to Xubuntu so I will probably try your Kubuntu script when Feisty is complete and try installing Xubuntu without Kubuntu.

Thanks again! =D>

Kulabula
March 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Here lads im confused, If i download those links onto my laptop with Windows XP will that effect it?
Can I download it on the laptop and put them on my memo.stick and transffer them to the other computer with Kubuntu V 6.06 LTS?
Please reply in easy language im onl 13.
Tnx Kulabula

:guitar: ](*,) ?? Reply fast plz...

maxamillion
March 9th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I hate to be a annoying, but I was wondering why you used apt-get instead of aptitude?

y0ssarian
March 16th, 2007, 05:52 PM
why not just do

sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-artwork-usplash
or

sudo apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop xubuntu-artwork-usplash

and then

sudo apt-get autoremove

aysiu
March 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Have you actually tried that, or did you just think it might work in theory?

Also, the autoremove feature for apt-get is available only in Edgy Eft.

karellen
March 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
why not simply "sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop" - "sudo aptitude remove kubuntu-desktop" ?...and xubuntu just the same...;)

aysiu
March 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Some people didn't have the foresight to install with aptitude.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people write
Oh, just do
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

y0ssarian
March 19th, 2007, 05:11 PM
This weekend I thought I'd try KDE and didn't like it. I installed it with

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
and removed it with

sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get autoremove
and it deleted a couple hundred megs of files. I noticed that a couple had to be explicitly removed and did those by hand. I also had to modify my .gtkrc file to remove some of the crap that KDE had installed that was throwing off my font size. For some reason I still can't get my gtk fonts to render like they used to (I did dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config to get the OSX look) if you have any suggestions for that.

EDIT: if you cant get autoremove to work, perhaps apt-get -f install might work.

atdi4ever
March 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
i wish i had this when i first started using ubuntu. but good job anyways.

tjl30
April 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Worked good, but it worried me when it asked to remove the ubuntu-desktop

The following packages will be REMOVED:
dbus-1-utils* ubuntu-desktop* update-notifier* xubuntu-desktop*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 827kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

cyrylski
June 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM
perhaps I'm too lame but executing it in bash tells me "no such command" :|

I also tried this http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome but I don't recommend it. It removed my audacious player and luckily it goes from A to Z cuz who knows what else would delete if haven't noticed that :|

JimmyJazz
June 14th, 2007, 01:52 AM
To be honest updates in feisty have made this program obsolete.

GaiusJuliusCaesar
September 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM
To be honest updates in feisty have made this program obsolete.
Hey JJ
What do you mean, is there an easy way to remove a *ubuntu desktop you don't want in Feisty? I'm a N008 and thought I'd try them all out before realising the difference between aptitude and apt-get....

ballas
May 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Can't you just remove Xubuntu from the Synaptic Package Manager without risking all kinds of trouble?

aysiu
May 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Can't you just remove Xubuntu from the Synaptic Package Manager without risking all kinds of trouble?
No, not really, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Removing xubuntu-desktop does not remove all its dependencies, and manually marking each of those for removal isn't an easy task in Synaptic.

If you thnk this sript business is too much trouble, I have a single command you can paste in the terminal to remove Xubuntu: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

ballas
May 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
I have a single command you can paste in the terminal to remove Xubuntu

In fact that works great! I'm learning every single day about Ubuntu :) Thanks!

igpf
June 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I tried both the remove and purge options with no luck. That just removed the kde, but all the other applications where still there. i found this
sudo apt-get remove adept adept-batch adept-common adept-installer adept-manager adept-notifier adept-updater akregator amarok amarok-xine apport-qt ark arts cryptsetup debtags desktop-effects-kde digikam dmsetup dolphin enscript foomatic-db-gutenprint gdebi-kde gnupg-agent gpgsm gtk-qt-engine gwenview hpijs-ppds hplip-gui ijsgutenprint jockey-kde k3b kaddressbook kaffeine kamera karm katapult kate kbstate kcontrol kcron kde-guidance kde-guidance-powermanager kde-icons-mono kde-style-qtcurve kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-bin-kde3 kdebase-data kdebase-kio-plugins kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards kdeprint kdesktop kdesudo kdm kdnssd keep kfind kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate kio-umountwrapper kipi-plugins klipper kmag kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmilo kmix kmousetool kmplayer-base kmplayer-konq-plugins knetworkconf knotes konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer kpdf kpf kppp krdc krfb kscreensaver ksmserver ksnapshot ksvg ksysguard ksysguardd ksystemlog ktorrent kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-default-settings kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kvkbd kwalletmanager kwin kwin-style-crystal language-selector-qt libakode2 libarts1-akode libarts1c2a libartsc0 libaudio2 libavahi-qt3-1 libavcodec1d libavutil1d libclucene0ldbl libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libept0 libexiv2-2 libfftw3-3 libflac++6 libgmp3c2 libgsm1 libifp4 libijs-0.35 libjpeg-progs libk3b2 libkbluetooth0 libkcal2b libkcddb1 libkdcraw3 libkdepim1a libkexiv2-3 libkipi0 libkleopatra1 libkmime2 libkonq4 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1 libksba8 libkscan1 libksieve0 libktnef1 liblua50 liblualib50 libmad0 libmimelib1c2a libmodplug0c2 libmpcdec3 libnjb5 libofa0 libpoppler-qt2 libpostproc1d libpq5 libpythonize0 libqt-perl libqt3-mt libqt4-core libqt4-gui librsync1 libruby1.8 libsearchclient0 libskim0 libsmokeqt1 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libstrigihtmlgui0 libtunepimp5 libxapian15 libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-xv0 libxine1 libxine1-bin libxine1-console libxine1-ffmpeg libxine1-misc-plugins libxine1-plugins libxine1-x libxvmc1 network-manager-kde networkstatus openoffice.org-kde openoffice.org-style-crystal perl-suid pinentry-qt poster psutils pykdeextensions python-dev python-kde3 python-qt3 python-qt4 python-qt4-common python-qt4-dbus python-reportlab python-sip4 python2.5-dev qca-tls rdiff-backup ruby ruby1.8 scim-bridge-client-qt scim-qtimm skim software-properties-kde speedcrunch strigi-applet strigi-daemon system-config-printer-kde ttf-arphic-ukai vorbis-tools && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

agibby5
July 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Worked great, thanks!

nitinbobade
July 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
hello Friend,
I have created shell script file that name's file1.now i want to remove file1 script file,could you tell me,which command should i used????/

My mail ID is nitinbobade@gmail.com

Thanks

Nitin.L.B

waleedakleh
September 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
http://jimmyjazz.homeip.net:808/debuntu.tar.gz

this link doesnt work any other i can use