PDA

View Full Version : Best free web hosting for forums?

MollyWop
September 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I bought the vBulletin software, but what FREE hosting service could I use to host it with maximum results. It's going to start off as a small forum for now, but maybe later on I'll upgrade to something else. I want to start a forum site, but for now I don't want to pay a monthly fee. I already bought the expensive software.

Mike'sHardLinux
September 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM
Don't forget, you probably need some kind of database for the backend of the forum software. I am not sure if there are any free hosts that give you a database, too. I don't know if vBulletin supports SQLite, but I doubt it.

perspectoff
September 21st, 2010, 01:16 AM
Don't forget, you probably need some kind of database for the backend of the forum software. I am not sure if there are any free hosts that give you a database, too. I don't know if vBulletin supports SQLite, but I doubt it.

Drupal has forums. It is free. It can use either free MySQL or PostgreSQL databases as the backend. You can host it yourself on your own equipment using Apache2 (part of LAMP) or even NGINX. Of course, it runs on Ubuntu server (also free).

Everything is free. Even this advice.

I realize these forums are run by vBulletin, but that doesn't mean you must run it. It appears to use MySQL and PHP, both which are part of the free LAMP stack.

I know of no free hosting anywhere. It costs money to run a host server, just for the Internet access. Even running your own server you have to pay for Internet access.