PDA

View Full Version : finally Wisconsin taxing downloads at 5%

sdowney717
September 20th, 2010, 10:38 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/40012437.html

someday perhaps all states will be getting much needed cash from Microsoft internet program down loaders.

Music, videos, tax it all baby!

fatality_uk
September 20th, 2010, 10:56 PM

someday perhaps all states will be getting much needed cash from Microsoft internet program down loaders.

Surely you mean tax from end users. Microsoft won't be paying this from what I understand in the article.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Uh...this is just talking about salestax on downloads. That means the state gets the money and not your local community. I fail to see why you are excited about paying more for digital stuff, (including stuff that linux users would buy also). Unless you don't buy things legally in which case you're ripping off tax-payers by using their services and not contributing.

Dustin2128
September 20th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Uh...this is just talking about salestax on downloads. That means the state gets the money and not your local community. I fail to see why you are excited about paying more for digital stuff, (including stuff that linux users would buy also). Unless you don't buy things legally in which case you're ripping off tax-payers by using their services and not contributing.
^Agreed.

I'd have to agree to one of those in the article. A state tax on a download who's servers can be anywhere in the world? I think this might be one of those slippery slope issues...

Lucradia
September 20th, 2010, 11:22 PM

Yes, which means that drive-by downloads and the like aren't taxed, and places that offer "free games" such as MMORPGs, will still not be taxed. Furthermore, items such as recharge cards for such digital games should not be taxed, but some places do (IE Gamestop) and soem don't (IE: Walgreens.)

After all, when you take 0 and times it by 1.05 (the number needed to show the total amount after taxing) you still get 0. :|

BigCityCat
September 20th, 2010, 11:30 PM
The government can tax and waste and people are okay with it.:confused:

Lucradia
September 20th, 2010, 11:39 PM
The government can tax and waste and people are okay with it.:confused:

Steam, PSN and Xbox Live can't be taxed though. :| It's up to the companies who manage them. Same with the iTunes network, Amazon MP3s, napster, etc.

Sorry, this tax fails.

Merk42
September 21st, 2010, 12:08 AM

Nice completely irrelevant dig at Microsoft there. :rolleyes:

pwnst*r
September 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM
Bandwagon fail.

seenthelite
September 21st, 2010, 03:52 AM
nice completely irrelevant dig at microsoft there. :rolleyes:

+1 :confused: :P

ubunterooster
September 21st, 2010, 04:42 PM
ugh, more taxes already?

Frogs Hair
September 21st, 2010, 05:33 PM
A provision for declaring out of state purchases was in place prior to this tax and remains largely unenforced. This act is symbolic at best and it is the consumer that pays sales tax not companies.

eriktheblu
September 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM
The merits of sales tax vs income tax vs property tax I will leave for other forums.

I can't see how purchases through correspondence (to include internet) should be subject to drastically different rules than other purchases.

thatguruguy
September 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM
Although the customer pays the sales tax, it is the responsibility of the vendor to collect the tax and remit it to the applicable taxing authority. In fact, the vendor is responsible for remitting the tax whether it actually receives the payment from the customer or not. In other words, either Canonical or 7digital (or both) will be responsible for paying any applicable taxes for any purchases made by Wisconsin residents through the Ubuntu One music store, whether or not the taxes are actually charged. This will, at the very least, increase the administrative costs for maintaining the music store (if it is necessary to set up and administer some kind of apparatus to track, charge and collect sales tax).

So my question to the OP is, why are you so happy about Canonical taking a potential financial hit on this?

earthpigg
September 21st, 2010, 07:26 PM
How is someone supposed to establish a small-time business over the internet when 50 states eventually have 50 different sets of rules, procedures, tax rates, etc?

How will this be enforced for businesses that are not headquartered within the US?

Elfy
September 21st, 2010, 08:09 PM
Thread closed.

We've got OS bashing and politics here.