PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Samba problem after Xp crash during "nmap" instalation

Irvine_himself
September 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Over the weekend, I networked my Ubuntu box with an old Xp laptop. I have had it working perfectly a couple of times, but it seems to be pretty fragile and falls over frequently. Up until now I have been able to recover, but....

Being paranoid, I installed "nmap" on both Xp and Ubuntu to check the port security. The first installation attempt of "nmap" caused Xp to crash. After re-booting Xp, strange things had happened, most noticeable the task bar was all messed up and the Samba connection had fallen over again, (in both directions.)

After some tweaking, I am now able to add and remove files from the Xp laptop using the Ubuntu end of the Samba. However the Xp end of things can no longer see Samba!

I finally got "nmap" working on Xp and it basically says that the only open port on Ubuntu is port 25, (email I think,) in other words, the Samba port is no longer open on Ubuntu?

From Ubuntu:
135/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open netbios-ssn

From Xp:
25/tcp open smtp Postfix smtpdI am not sure if that is normal for Ubuntu, since by default it should not respond and, (I have got to admit,) am out of my depth and need help.

Please!

Irvine_himself
September 21st, 2010, 07:17 AM
Okay, I have finally figured out a solution:

First, I did a system restore on Xp. It did not solve anything, (the problem was with Ubuntu/Samba,) but it did get my laptop working in its normal barely tolerable Xp fashion. I then had to redo the network settings on Xp

Second, I tried re-installing Samba, but that did no good so I completely removed it and then re-installed.

The visible Samba permissions were unchanged, but what ever was blocking the connection was fixed. I have no idea what it was, but I now have two way control of my network.

PS

If anyone is looking for a good "Idiot Guide" to setting up a Ubuntu/Xp LAN with Samba, I would recommend this here.
(http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/05/share-filesfolders-between-windows-xp-vista-7-and-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-via-samba/)