PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] panels disappeared & trying to remove unneeded packages

bcatt
September 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM
After spending several weeks trying to learn how to build a custom ubuntu install disk/install a custom system from minimal install/trying to build a custom system through suse studio, I am meeting with nothing but frustration, as there seems not to be a lot of resources for figuring out exactly what packages I am going to need (and the descriptions of packages are often written for those with in-depth knowledge of the inner workings of kernels and whatnot - not for the average user (even very intelligent average users)). So I tried a different tack, I installed the full ubuntu system (lucid) and tried to sift through the installed packages to see which ones I could remove, but again I run into the problem of the package descriptions being written for linux gurus, not for people like me who just want a streamlined system.

Well, long story short, I uninstalled some stuff, including all evolution packages that did not say they would also remove things I knew/thought I'd need to keep (like ubuntu-desktop, which apparently, I can actually remove without losing my whole system?) and when I rebooted, I've lost my panels, and perhaps synaptic and a few other things as well (I had the start-up settings to save my sessions and reopen my programs that were open when I shut down, and although I had synaptic and a few other things running at restart, only my browser restarted upon logging in - this setting DID work before removing packages).

So my two questions are:
1. can I get my panels back without putting back ALL the packages I removed, and
2. are there any resources for users like me to figure out which packages can be removed safely (I know there's a ton of stuff that's useless to me, like bluetooth, empathy, evolution, and the dozen or more packages for video cards I don't have, and I'd rather not have it junking up my system)

Thanks in advance for any help!