PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] when booting install disc lucid won't reinstall, asks for login and password

SupaDadof3
September 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Hello All,

I am having some issues with reinstalling lucid lynx 10.04. I am pretty green to Linux but have been messin with comps for years(windows). I installed Lucid about 3 months ago on my desktop and my laptop, mostly to force myself to learn the new os as fast as possible. Story aside my issue is this.

I have made changes and have been playing around with settings in efforts to learn the new system. throughout this I have been good at not doing anything I couldn't reverse easily. Until now. Firstly I want to restore the OS to it's default settings without losing my home folder or it's data but when i insert the boot-able install disc i originally used for both computers my laptop makes a lot of weird sounds almost like a printer and sits on the Ubuntu loading screen for a while. Then I get a error sound and i am prompted with a window thats has a log in button on it. when i click that it asks for my username, I only EVER use one user-name for my installations and this username password combo does not work.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.