PDA

View Full Version : Google says they were hacked Ultra Sophisticated

sdowney717
September 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/operation-aurora/
email, source code, etc... from China. Email accounts targeted were human rights dissidents, etc...

Old news, but was thinking some about this.

What I was thinking is what process could you use to obfuscate, harden or eliminate an email attack where even if the raiders got information it would be useless to them?

You could encrypt the text?
What about the physical locations of email users computers? Is that obtainable in an attack?
What about the email addresses, could that be somehow dealt with such that intended destinations be hidden, sent thru an array of adresses from system to system?
Just thinking of ideas here.

Google announced Tuesday that it had been the target of a “highly sophisticated” and coordinated hack attack against its corporate network. It said the hackers had stolen intellectual property and sought access to the Gmail accounts of human rights activists. The attack originated from China, the company said.

Read More http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/operation-aurora/#ixzz104LZWQd8

blueturtl
September 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
It's called PGP.

You encrypt your outgoing emails with the recipient's public encryption key so that only they can decode the message (using a private key which only they possess). You also ask the people sending you private email to do the same.

Most people are too lazy though or don't think their email warrants that kind of privacy protection.

pwnst*r
September 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Most people are too lazy though or don't think their email warrants that kind of privacy protection.

Most people don't need that kind of privacy buffer for personal emails. I don't use PGP for emails outside of my corporation environment as its a bit silly to do so.

handy
September 20th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Slightly off topic:

Perhaps one day there will exist enough bandwidth for many more of us to be able to run a Tor server.

I know if I had the bandwidth here I would be doing it.