PDA

View Full Version : Yay! A new sytem V (open source!) came out!

afroman10496
September 20th, 2010, 12:24 PM
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=openindiana

nlsthzn
September 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Seeing as they admit themselves it is buggy I will wait a bit and give it time to mature (or die, which I hope does not happen!)

forrestcupp
September 20th, 2010, 01:46 PM
But will they be able to keep it up?

shobon
September 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I played with it in a virtual machine yesterday, looks/acts just like OpenSolaris did (slow as dirt).

I'd play around with it more outside of a VM if my wireless card were supported.

nlsthzn
September 20th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I played with it in a virtual machine yesterday, looks/acts just like OpenSolaris did (slow as dirt).

I'd play around with it more outside of a VM if my wireless card were supported.

I have run openSolaris on my lappy and promptly removed it because it is so S L O W... seems to be an issue with this OS?

shobon
September 20th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I have run openSolaris on my lappy and promptly removed it because it is so S L O W... seems to be an issue with this OS?

It has to be, Arch (and GNU/Linux in general) run great on my laptop (and my old netbook). I hope that Illumos and/or OpenIndiana can fix this problem, because otherwise OpenSolaris is a nice OS.

chessnerd
September 20th, 2010, 04:14 PM
With Illumos and OpenIndiana I think that OpenSolaris may yet live on. In fact, if these projects take off, we could see freer, better versions of OpenSolaris than ever before. If that is the case, then Oracle may be shooting themselves in the foot by closing up the Solaris development.

It sounds like OpenIndiana is focusing mainly on developing for servers, but, if development leads to a stable system, maybe we'll see a fork of the OpenIndiana project for desktops. OpenIllinois anyone?

Seeing as they admit themselves it is buggy I will wait a bit and give it time to mature (or die, which I hope does not happen!)

The team is planning a second development release on October 3rd and that should be more stable, but they wanted to release an early build before Oracle put out Solaris 11 Express. They plan to have a stable version in Q1 2011.

Also, I love the codename of the 2011 stable release - Foreverware (http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/2011.Q1+-+Foreverware).

kaldor
September 20th, 2010, 05:32 PM
OpenSolaris is very slow indeed. BUT, it is not meant as a desktop OS yet. Solaris =/= Linux.

nlsthzn
September 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
OpenSolaris is very slow indeed. BUT, it is not meant as a desktop OS yet. Solaris =/= Linux.

...I doubt anyone in this thread was thinking that Solaris was linux...

I see the video for OpenSolaris 2009.06 is still on the website here (http://www.opensolaris.com/) and in it they discuss how they have made it useable for desktops, laptops etc. (but yes, it's main focus wasn't desktops).

unknownPoster
September 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM

It has to be, Arch (and GNU/Linux in general) run great on my laptop (and my old netbook). I hope that Illumos and/or OpenIndiana can fix this problem, because otherwise OpenSolaris is a nice OS.

It's not a problem at all. Solaris was meant to run on Sun hardware. Standard Desktops and Laptops simply to do not have the appropriate resources to run Solaris as it was meant to be run.

shobon
September 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
2011 will be the year of the Solaris desktop.

Velnias
September 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Hurrayy,
now OpenSolaris is REALLY open. Btw its better than last OpenSolaris version from dead "SUN".

kaldor
September 20th, 2010, 10:05 PM
2011 will be the year of the Solaris desktop.

:)

v1ad
September 20th, 2010, 10:08 PM
i wish developers would stop creating new systems, but instead use that time to improve Linux software that would impact them all.

unknownPoster
September 20th, 2010, 10:56 PM
i wish developers would stop creating new systems, but instead use that time to improve Linux software that would impact them all.

First of all, it's not really new. It's a fork of a pre-existing project.

Also, Solaris is Unix not Linux, so if the developers want to develop for Unix as opposed to Linux, that's their choice.

v1ad
September 20th, 2010, 11:02 PM
First of all, it's not really new. It's a fork of a pre-existing project.

Also, Solaris is Unix not Linux, so if the developers want to develop for Unix as opposed to Linux, that's their choice.

so software that is made for unix can't run in Linux? a little flawed in the thinking there imo.

unknownPoster
September 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM
so software that is made for unix can't run in Linux? a little flawed in the thinking there imo.

There is no guarantee that software will be cross-compatible. I've written several programs that compiled and ran successfully under Solaris that would not run under CentOS.

Linux != Unix

CJ Master
September 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM

I wish people would stop complaining about how developers use their free time.

v1ad
September 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
i am going into development, so in my opinion that would be the wise thing to do. a program that is well written in C would in majority of the cases work in unix and linux. don't forget the "well written" part.

nlsthzn
September 21st, 2010, 05:16 AM
Got openindiana running in Virtualbox at the moment... Guest additions installed no problems... running smoothly at the moment... Congrats to all working to make this project a reality :KS (there is just something about running a Unix system) :guitar:

inobe
September 21st, 2010, 05:29 AM
the outstanding history says it must go on.

nlsthzn
September 21st, 2010, 05:36 AM
Very impressed, Compiz works right from the start... for buggy software it outshines many "finished" OS's at the moment...

forrestcupp
September 21st, 2010, 07:32 PM
i am going into development, so in my opinion that would be the wise thing to do. a program that is well written in C would in majority of the cases work in unix and linux. don't forget the "well written" part.

That may be true if you're only talking about writing command line, green screen programs. Most people today like to go beyond the command line, and that's where cross compatibility ceases to "just work".

You have to remember that Linux isn't based on Unix; it's just Unix-like. It's more based on Minix.

afroman10496
September 22nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
...I doubt anyone in this thread was thinking that Solaris was linux...

I see the video for OpenSolaris 2009.06 is still on the website here (http://www.opensolaris.com/) and in it they discuss how they have made it useable for desktops, laptops etc. (but yes, it's main focus wasn't desktops).
yeah, it's REALLY SLOW to boot up, more like windows xp on a pentium -_- lol

it is however pretty nice to use as a desktop. if you've tried the 134 build their package manager is getting to be almost as good as the ubuntu software center.

beetleman64
September 22nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Good luck to them. Both projects seem to be well organised and are making strides forward. I hope they are successful, I tried OpenSolaris a while back and found the speed to be okay (the laptop was fairly old, and it ran faster than XP). There was a wee bit too much command line work to appeal to a general audience. I honestly thought that OpenSolaris could give Linux a run for its money with a bit more work, and then Oracle came along...