PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade on triple boot system

small_sammy
September 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hi there,

I have an MSI U100 netbook triple booting between Win XP, Ubuntu 9.04 and OSX. Grub is used as boot loader. I want to upgrade my ubuntu install but I am a bit scared that grub will be messed up. Can you provide any insight? Has anybody done it before? Should I do it or not?

Cheers,
Apostolis

garvinrick4
September 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi there,

I have an MSI U100 netbook triple booting between Win XP, Ubuntu 9.04 and OSX. Grub is used as boot loader. I want to upgrade my ubuntu install but I am a bit scared that grub will be messed up. Can you provide any insight? Has anybody done it before? Should I do it or not?

Cheers,
Apostolis
You can go to 9.10 to 10.04 install and backup your home and your firefox bookmarks thru bookmarks to orginize bookmarks to backup will make a file called .json and can reinstall to bookmarks same way just use import.
Going from9.04 to 9.10 to 10.04 will take forever to go thru the channels from 9.10 to 10.04 and not as nice as clean install.
But if you want to

sudo sed -i 's/jaunty/karmic/g' /etc/apt/source.list && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgradekarmic to lucid can go thru GUI or can replace jaunty with karmic and karmic with lucid in previous code. Do what you want to do of course but clean install is nicer.
Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)
Either which way after install boot into the 10.04 and

sudo update-grubThat will put all your installs in grub2 boot menu