PDA

View Full Version : What Music Instrument Do You Play?

Khakilang
September 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I use to play guitar and harmonica when I was young. Its fun. You can take it anywhere and play it when bored but that was many years ago. So what music instrument do you guys play?
:guitar:

roddie
September 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I play the piano, but my main instrument is the fretless bass. Unfortunately, it's not as portable as a harmonica!

Ozor Mox
September 20th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I've played the piano for about 7 years, mostly classical from sheet music, but sometimes I play modern stuff by ear. I'd like to pick up the acoustic guitar as well, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Brent0
September 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I play saxophone and the drumset. I'm pretty good at both. :)

roddie
September 20th, 2010, 12:14 PM
We should form an Ubuntu band ;)

schtufbox
September 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Drums (barely), Piano/Keyboards (badly), Bass Guitar.

pwnst*r
September 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Mostly guitar, but some drums and keys as well.

Attached is me soloing over a backing track using a Line6 guitar pod and custom Carvin electric.

Frogs Hair
September 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Guitar , bass. and a little keyboard .

Vigh
September 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
The epic synth keyboard!

Khakilang
September 22nd, 2010, 05:19 AM

Attached is me soloing over a backing track using a Line6 guitar pod and custom Carvin electric.

Your soloing is pretty awesome. I always wanted to play something like that but never got the chance to own an electric guitar.

Khakilang
September 22nd, 2010, 05:20 AM
We should form an Ubuntu band ;)

Thats a great idea.

:popcorn:

lisati
September 22nd, 2010, 05:32 AM
I used to play piano and recorder a bit, and have tried clarinet, trombone and bagpipes. I passed piano exams at about grade five level.

Our current keyboard, which seldom gets used, is one suitable for two-finger playing and has one-touch accompaniments. It gets easily confused if I try to play anything that demands something more sophisticated than three or four notes at once.

wilee-nilee
September 22nd, 2010, 06:12 AM
I play the piano, but my main instrument is the fretless bass. Unfortunately, it's not as portable as a harmonica!

+1 on the bass, got a 5 string myself.

giddyup306
September 22nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
I use to play guitar and harmonica when I was young.

At the same time like Bob Dylan? :KS

When I was younger I used to play piano. I had several formal lessons. I also played sax (yikes!). I would like to pick up the piano again (well not literally pick up the piano).

Now I just play guitar, mostly 7 string. I have an Ibanez RG series 7 string. Not sure what the sub model is, but it's one of the higher quality since it's made in Japan. It's not a J Custom tho. It had DiMarzio humbucker pickups originally, and I put in some dual EMG 707's and had some custom beauty rings made for it since I had to hack up my guitar to get them in. It's not a $5,000 guitar, but it should be good 'nuff for any semi-professional guitarist. I'm desperately craving a Marshall stack and a vintage JCM 800 from the 80's. Too bad the head units alone still go for around $2,000 on eBay.

I broke my tremelo bar not that long ago. Too much Slayer.

IanAdams
September 22nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
Guitar. Though not very well.

bug67
September 22nd, 2010, 06:59 AM
All of these but not usually at the same time:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m132/bug67/Studio/guitarssmallcopy-1.jpg

I also dabble in African percussion such as djembe, dundun and kalimba. I have a recorder as well but, I'm not very good at it. Oh, and then there's all the synths and other soft-instruments in Logic, Digital Performer, GarageBand and Sequel. Do they count? I play many but am proficiant at none! http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/lol8.gif

baddog144
September 22nd, 2010, 07:36 AM
Guitar, saxophone, and trumpet

bigsmitty64
September 22nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
I play guitar, bass drums and recently taught myself the mandolin. I have a tiny little home studio type setup that I mess around with. HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-U3a9sMxUQ) is a short clip of me jammin some blues.
I pre recorded the bass, rythim and drum tracks. Hope you guys like it. Have a look around if ya want, I have about 45 videos up. THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKLr_-PPJ3A) is my most recent one.

louis--taylor
September 22nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
Viola ftw!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola

KennethLarsen
September 22nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
Classical guitar, drums and piano.

RiceMonster
September 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Guitar
Bass
Drums
Piano/Keyboards

Guitar is my main instrument, but I can play the other listed instruments as well.

pwnst*r
September 22nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Your soloing is pretty awesome. I always wanted to play something like that but never got the chance to own an electric guitar.

thanks!

bigsmitty64
September 22nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
Your soloing is pretty awesome.

+1 on that! Good stuff!

themusicalduck
September 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
I play the flute mostly, but also play bass (5 string spector). I can play the guitar and keyboard too, but I don't spend as much time on those.

On flute I play in my band www.myspace.com/infieldsinfields and in my university orchestra. On the bass I used to play in a metal band but don't play in something with it right at the moment.

TTanae
September 23rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Years ago I played the flute but I always wanted to learn to play the guitar

oldsoundguy
September 23rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
For years I played the front of house console and controlled EVERYBODY!

PC_load_letter
September 23rd, 2010, 12:36 AM
My main instrument is a six string fretted bass, I also play a little piano and keyboards.

Dragynn
September 23rd, 2010, 01:35 AM
Hand drums. Congas and bongos, djembe, doumbek etc., fooling around with Taikos a bit, about to build a project from a wine cask, a double-headed odaiko.

JDShu
September 23rd, 2010, 03:39 AM

That's a pretty amazing tone, like it!

Piano (decent), Clarinet(not so decent), Guitar(between decent and not so decent) for me.

sandyd
September 23rd, 2010, 03:52 AM
vocals, guitar, keyboard, drums
Crossed out drums since I don't think I can play them anymore... (the last time I did was... 1.5 years ago? hmm. might want to borrow my sister's drum kit.).

I started singing really young, then added guitar and keyboard to the list (you have noo idea how much time you have when you don't go to school for a year and a bit more).

Im also extremely proficient at ear (RCM, 90+ FTW!(only at ear tests....)), and therefore I don't need a tuner. portable standing tuner right here. :D .

JDShu
September 23rd, 2010, 03:54 AM
vocals, guitar, keyboard, drums
Im also extremely proficient at ear (RCM, 90+ FTW!(only at ear tests....)), and therefore I don't need a tuner. portable standing tuner right here. :D .

Lucky! I think even my relative pitch is suspect XD

sandyd
September 23rd, 2010, 04:02 AM
Lucky! I think even my relative pitch is suspect XD
its not all that lucky. It can be VERY anoying at times.
care to take a guess why?
and yes, it has to do with my OCD issues :P

Rasa1111
September 23rd, 2010, 04:11 AM
My main instrument(s) are Afrikan hand drums.
I play all kinds, but own only Djembes.

Here's my 2 big ones, and I have a tiny one, no pics of that one at the moment.
The slightly smaller one is carved out of one single piece of Afrikan hardwood (i forget its botanical name).
Made by a friend, but still had to pay almost $300 for it. lol
The Lion was burned into by myself, with a quartz crystal sphere
[basically a magnifying glass.], only much more efficient. lol ;)

I also play a little harmonica, and a little jaw harp. lol

Always tried to get into guitar, but still havent ever actually gotten into it. lol

Oh yeah, I also dabble a bit with the didgeridoo.

My next wish is for a Hang Drum.
I want one really, really, really badly. lol
http://www.hang-music.com/hang.php
http://hangdrum.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXcdcDB2S8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Tfv8Xcmis&feature=related

<3

Elfy
September 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Lots of guitars, drums and keyboards - but not one who plays a ladle :( We surely need
http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=47861 to pop in here.

Khakilang
September 25th, 2010, 06:09 AM
My main instrument(s) are Afrikan hand drums.
I play all kinds, but own only Djembes.

Here's my 2 big ones, and I have a tiny one, no pics of that one at the moment.
The slightly smaller one is carved out of one single piece of Afrikan hardwood (i forget its botanical name).
Made by a friend, but still had to pay almost $300 for it. lol
The Lion was burned into by myself, with a quartz crystal sphere
[basically a magnifying glass.], only much more efficient. lol ;)

I also play a little harmonica, and a little jaw harp. lol

Always tried to get into guitar, but still havent ever actually gotten into it. lol

Oh yeah, I also dabble a bit with the didgeridoo.

My next wish is for a Hang Drum.
I want one really, really, really badly. lol
http://www.hang-music.com/hang.php
http://hangdrum.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXcdcDB2S8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Tfv8Xcmis&feature=related

<3

That is a very unique music instrument. Never saw anything like it. I hope you get yours and post your composition.

Rasa1111
September 25th, 2010, 06:52 AM
That is a very unique music instrument. Never saw anything like it. I hope you get yours and post your composition.

:D I know it, isn't that amazing? :KS lol
Last i knew hey were pretty hard to get.
but that was a year or 2 ago,
maybe that's changed..
they are beautiful though.
thanks, i hope i do to! lol :) <3

here's another cool one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3417VhdGScc&feature=channel

ninjapirate89
September 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM
http://www.virtualreality.ca/instruments.jpg

Unfortunately, I have no real musical talent. I would love to learn (real) drums though.

fluteflute
September 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Flute!

Helkaluin
September 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
The organ.

http://www.paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/UK/Britain_South_and_West/Canterbury_Cathedral/Canterbury_Internal/Images/800/Nave-Jul07-DP0394sAR800.jpg

ironic.demise
September 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I play Bass guitar, My brother plays Electric guitar.

I play Bass with NO intention of it going anywhere and I'm not very "driven" to get good at it, I AM better than some, and definitely worse than others but I like to think I'm learning slowly. I do it for fun, pure simple relaxing fun.

My brother however... He gets ahead of himself wanting to be the next Satriani and he rushes what little he can do into a slur of fluidless noise :( he wants to be in a band aspiring to Bullet.

pwnst*r
September 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
My brother however... He gets ahead of himself wanting to be the next Satriani and he rushes what little he can do into a slur of fluidless noise :(

Have you given him this honest feedback?

Seņor Banana
September 25th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Electric Guitar
Acoustic Guitar
Bass Guitar
Piano
Drums
Vocal Chords
And I program electronic music.

Jaecyn42
September 25th, 2010, 05:03 PM
First started with the French Horn...many, many years ago. Since then, I've added a bit to my repertoire, mostly in the strings:

(In order of how I learned them)

French Horn
Guitar (acoustic, electric and 12 string)
Bass
Keys
Mandolin
Didgeridoo (neighbors simply LOVE this :lolflag:)
Banjo (5-String)
Violin

Still very rough on the last three stringed instruments (Mando, Banjo, Viol); but I don't practice on them often. Who would when theres a Didgeridoo to be had?

Hexster71FD
September 25th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I played Clarinet and Bass Clarinet in grade School. I haven't touched either in college because I'm going for a Computer Science degree.

I'd buy a Bass Clarinet to play at home, but they cost $5000 for a wood one, and even the poor quality plastic ones are over $1000. Maybe it would be worth the cost if I actually wanted to play with someone, but I was never fond of solo playing. So it would be likely that it would just sit in the box and gather dust. Better to just save the money.

WinterMadness
August 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM
guitar and keyboards

grautskaahl
August 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I play/study flute at one of the conservatories here. I used to play a lot of guitar before - I was in a rock band some years ago :guitar:

cloyd
August 15th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Guitar with a a couple years formal instruction 40 plus years ago, Today, I love my pennywhistles,

limthasage07
August 15th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I play guitar, drums, and bass.

PC_load_letter
August 15th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I play mainly bass, but I also play electric guitar and keyboards/piano.
When I have the time for practice, I use my Korg Kaossilator to lay down some backing loop and groove over it with the bass. I love fiddling about with VST soft synths and I look for the day that I can play them with no problem under Wine, or save for a Mac mini.

Linuxratty
August 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Penny whistle,hammer dulcimer,mandolin.

johnnybgoode83
August 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I used to play the tin whistle

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 16th, 2011, 02:25 AM
If it was a stringed instrument with frets; such as, a guitar, base guitar, banjo, ukulele, lute, then I could play those. If they didn't have frets, I would have liked to; however, no. If they had keyboards; such as, piano, organ, then I could play those. I never learned how to play a wind or reed instrument or a percussion instrument.

angry_johnnie
August 16th, 2011, 05:15 AM
guitar, bass, violin, keyboards and, for the most part, anything with strings.

sometimes i just play the fool :p

an ubuntu band would be, if not a good idea, at least a fun idea.

limthasage07
August 16th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Haha, yeah, I guess we could an Ubuntu collaboration jammming (pretty much what some youtubers do to play a cover song with other youtubers. :P)

oldsoundguy
August 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
F.O.H. mixing console for over 30 years. So you could say I play everything.

Linuxratty
August 16th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I used to play the tin whistle

It's a nice instrument. Itis nice to see some folks here do play trafitional instruments.

I never learned how to play a wind or reed instrument or a percussion instrument.

You can still learn!

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 17th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I never learned how to play a wind or reed instrument or a percussion instrument.

You can still learn!

Actually, I'm not really interested in wind, reed, or a percussion instruments.

If I learn a new instrument it would probably be a violin. I would like to use a violin to play ethnic folk music. I see you are in the US; so, you might call it a fiddle when used to play ethnic folk music. I don't have a very good ear, or you could say I am a little "tone deaf"; therefore, without frets I can't produce the notes precisely. Ethnic folk music may be forgiving for those of us that are a little "tone deaf" and rely on frets :). I would play a violin for my own pleasure; therefore, if what I played sounded like C***, it wouldn't matter. I may give it a try after I retire in a few years, provided arthritis doesn't prevent me from doing it.

IWantFroyo
August 17th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Guitar. I used to play wind instruments, but I got tired of it.

73ckn797
August 17th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Takamine EF350MC Acoustic/Electric (see avatar also)

Gibson Blueshawk Electric Guitar (see attached image)

Dangertux
August 17th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Guitar now, although I played Clarinet for about 5 years when I was a teenager.

jcolyn
August 17th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Mandolin and harmonica.

My Great Granddad taught me the Mandolin and I learned the harmonica on my own..

Khakilang
August 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I think my future musical instrument would be tuxguitar. It is free and easy to install. I will give it a try and see what i can come out with.

s.fox
August 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I can play piano.

babakott
August 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Guitar, bass, violin, and cello.
Oh and a hack at harmonica.

Sylos
August 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Guitar and drums (pretty poor at drums these days as I dont have naywhere to set up my kit).

I'd like to learn to play the bagpipes, violin and accordian in the future but budget and time always get in the way.

donkyhotay
August 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I play tuba

ninjaaron
August 17th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Guitar, tin whistle, bass, bansuree, banjo, mandolin, flute, recorder, and most importantly, melodica. I've only played on the first five of those in front of an audience.

I can also get some music out of cello, piano and drums, but nowhere near a level that I would be comfortable preforming (unless it was some simple ambient background keyboard stuff, maybe).

Triblaze
August 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

ninjaaron
August 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Yes

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 18th, 2011, 12:06 AM
...Oh and a hack at harmonica.

After my wife and I bought our first house, my parents showed me where they had stored all the junk I had when I was a child. As I looked through the stuff I found a harmonica that I had as a child; but, never learned how to play. I laid it aside, my father picked it up and started to play it. I wish he had shown me how, darn-it :).

What a shock, I never knew he could play a harmonica, and he was very good at it. He was playing things like the blues. To get an idea what I mean by the blues on the harmonica, listen to this and ignore the background accompaniment http://www.4shared.com/audio/E_ZEYjDz/Funky_Blues_Harmonica__wwwHarm.html. Quit a few of the sound effects are produced by how you are cupping your hands together around the harmonica, and how you move them. Like I said, he was very good, and I was in shock. I shouldn't have been, he was born in 1912; therefore, you entertained yourself and others in a different way. At least when I was a teenager, in 1962, we got our first black and white TV.

Brian0312
August 18th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Violin, mandolin, bohdran and just a little bit of the piano.

Khakilang
August 18th, 2011, 05:06 AM
After my wife and I bought our first house, my parents showed me where they had stored all the junk I had when I was a child. As I looked through the stuff I found a harmonica that I had as a child; but, never learned how to play. I laid it aside, my father picked it up and started to play it. I wish he had shown me how, darn-it :).

What a shock, I never knew he could play a harmonica, and he was very good at it. He was playing things like the blues. To get an idea what I mean by the blues on the harmonica, listen to this and ignore the background accompaniment http://www.4shared.com/audio/E_ZEYjDz/Funky_Blues_Harmonica__wwwHarm.html. Quit a few of the sound effects are produced by how you are cupping your hands together around the harmonica, and how you move them. Like I said, he was very good, and I was in shock. I shouldn't have been, he was born in 1912; therefore, you entertained yourself and others in a different way. At least when I was a teenager, in 1962, we got our first black and white TV.
Blues is cool. I use to listen to Blues musician like B.B. King, Hound dog Taylor, Eric Clapton and The Cream, Albert King etc.

Livin4Jesus
August 22nd, 2011, 04:51 AM
I play the ocarina, and the slightest bit of piano. I want to get a violin, but I'm dead-broke...

fredbird67
September 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I play several:

Piano
Organ
Synth
Guitar (sort of)
Mandolin
Bass (upright or electric)
Drums
Trombone
Tuba

I also sing in my church's choir but also fill in whenever needed in the praise band.

kostageas
September 28th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Viola. Only in church though.

Desktop_n00b
September 29th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Sax and drums. Little guitar but not much. Can play LMMS all day lol

mona88
September 29th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I always wanted to play guitar. I used to take a guitar course when at university. But I can just play some simple songs.:)

free lyrics (http://www.lyricsbird.com/)