PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD: Is NIC intentionally disabled?

brother jon
September 20th, 2010, 02:04 AM
EDIT: Sorry; ID10t error here. :rolleyes:
All is fine now. Thanks. :)
/EDIT

Title says it.

I have looked at Ubuntu LiveCDs going back to Edgy, but regardless what version I'm trying
or what box I'm trying it on, my wireless network card never works - I can never connect to my
network. I've begun to believe that the NIC must be intentionally disabled on the LiveCD version. :/

Conversely, with Mint Linux and PCLinuxOS (for example) LiveCDs, I slap the disc in, enter my
network key, and BOOM-- I'm on the internet.

What gives?

EDIT: I'm looking at the Lucid (10.04) LiveCD this time around.

lukeiamyourfather
September 20th, 2010, 02:09 AM
No, the NIC is not intentionally disabled generally speaking. Though you might have to install proprietary drivers through the "hardware drivers" utility if an open source driver doesn't exist for the hardware.

brother jon
September 20th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the reply, but no; no proprietary drivers needed, at least not so far.
Apparently, my nic is an Intel 5100, which works fine on those other distros I mentioned.
As a reference point, Lucid detected it as a Marvell something-or-other in System> Test Network.
:/

wilee-nilee
September 20th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Up until the last couple of releases I had to just have the computer see my router through the ethernet cord to get the wireless going. Not sure how long it has been since having to do this though.

brother jon
September 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Worth a try...

Also, Luke, I shouldn't need special drivers, but you've given me an idea.

Thanks, y'all