PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Activating Graphics card won't let me boot

rorkimaru
September 20th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'd been using 10.04 for a while and then one day the computer wouldn't boot. It just loaded up to a low res purple screen with the loading dots on it and froze.

I managed to get all my files back and everything and re-install and it was working fine until I enabled the graphics card and then the same problem occurred.

I've isolated the problem to the graphics card. It's never given me issues before and I've been running Ubuntu for about 2 1/2 years now so I was kind of surprised.

It's an NVIDEA card by the way. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I need hardware support for graphics because I do some work in 2D and 3D and as such need to be able to do that stuff on my PC.

I don't want to have to keep reinstalling to check if the graphics card is working again yet but it's the only thing I can think of =(

rorkimaru
September 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I'ma go ahead and bump this since it's been a few days.

Could anyone even tell me how to turn off hardware rendering once I've restarted to turn it on. That way I can try out the GFX card without having to re-install constantly.

No hardware support is really becoming a pain and it's a surprise because I never had a GFX problem before.