PDA

View Full Version : Made-For-Ubuntu Computers

USSEnterprise
April 10th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Hello. I am new to the forum, but have been using ubuntu for at least the past year. I find it to be one of the best and most versitile distros around. It was easy on me as a beginner, and it still poses a challenge to me today.
A friend and I have been looking into selling computers specifically designed to be run this OS. The price is to be between $300 and $350 a piece, with the following features:
AMD Sempron 64 2800+
512MB PC3200 RAM
80GB HDD
16x DVD-R/W Drive
Floppy Drive
Sound, Video, and LAN
USB 2.0
Ubuntu Preinstalled
There will be shipping, but no sales tax. However, if you can pick one up at either of our houses (we are both located in New Jersey), that would be fine.
I know you may question a person who has just joined a forum and has begun to advertise, but I promise this is completely legitimate. Of course, you may also question the promise, in which case I have nothing more to say :-#

Thank you
Joe

USSEnterprise
April 10th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Sorry. I didn't realize there was a marketplace forum

aysiu
April 10th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Do you have a website?

USSEnterprise
April 10th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Not yet. One is in the works. It will probably be up by tomorrow. Like I said, I'm just trying to see if there would be any interest.

aysiu
April 10th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Apparently, about 30% of the forum population might be interested (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=152433). Just so you know, something like this exists already, but I guess the more options the better...

http://www.system76.com

USSEnterprise
April 10th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Well, uh... crap. I knew there were places which sold computers made for Linux. I didn't realize there were places that had them as affordably. At this point, the price will be around $330.

dylonium
April 10th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I am very interested. Is this really worth it folks? I don't want to sucker into something not worth it. AIM or EMAIL ME USSENTERPRISE!

USSEnterprise
April 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I would if I could, but your email is blocked

dylonium
April 10th, 2006, 11:23 PM
dylangordan@gmail.com

dylonium
April 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM
You can now email me through the forums. Please contact me ASAP!

USSEnterprise
April 11th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Dylonium will be recieving his new computer in two to four weeks

bobonthenet
April 12th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Do you have a website yet? If your looking for a host try http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=6854564 yeah thats an affiliate link, but really they are quite good. I'm very interested in ordering a PC but I'd kinda like to see your website.

USSEnterprise
April 14th, 2006, 06:08 PM
My partner, who is a member of this forum, but I have no idea what his username is, is setting up a site. It won't have a shopping cart or anything. All orders will be by email. From what he has told me, he is a gold member at GoDaddy, so I don't think we need hosting, but I'll ask him. We will probably offer Paypal as a method of payment later on

nobu
May 4th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I have installed Ubuntu Dapper in combination with XGL and the latest compiz plugins. The system is just unbelievable. It is beautiful, very usable and make all my friends jealous. They ask me where did I get that. I told them it took me a couple of weeks to figure it out and about realinstalling Ubuntu like 10 times already....I have it just the way I like it now and I am not messing with it. After learning about the difficulty they pretty much got turned off....but I think there is a market for Ubuntu, but it is risky....People want something new and innovative....that is why MACs have such a large and dedicated following. And there are a lot of people out there who only know Windows....so when you asked them to switch from Windows to Linux....they ask why? And you can talk to them about virus and how this is open source and free and all that but when it comes down to it they are not going to change their habits and learning something new to do the same ol thing. And then you look at the linux crowd and well we pretty much can install Ubuntu on our own and figuring things out is part of the fun. If I had the money I would start selling preconfigured Ubuntu PCs with XGL installed and all of the coolest Plugins...well the ones that are pretty stable. I would build a cool looking PC, just dreaming....but a mix between Alienware and Macs....Then I would take it on the road and see what the reaction is. Oh this would be fine quality hand holding with awesome support and I would probably charge a lot for it as well. This PC would be for those who like to be first and like to buy the coolest and the newest. I think that will sell.

LoclynGrey
May 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM
A friend and I have been looking into selling computers specifically designed to be run this OS.

Good on you mate and good luck with your business.
Make sure you post your website link when sorted. (so i can bookmark it)

Tobster
November 25th, 2006, 01:23 AM
I believe that we should support this person. It's 'Stars' like these that can move Ubuntu to the main stream market. WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE THIS.

As a fan of Ubuntu I would like to say thank you to this person for what your doing.

tubasoldier
November 25th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Good Luck to you!

However, I have to say as a consumer I'm not too keen on having to do all purchasing through e-mail. I would much prefer a secure shopping cart to check out with. I know it costs more to develop websites that have that ability but until you acually have somewhere to "check out" I'll be looking elsewhere.
Other than that I hope your business does well. Its good for the Ubuntu/Linux communities.

s_h_a_d_o_w_s
November 25th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Perhaps you could offer your PCs through ebay and have a website as well? That was is probably more trusted.

ma1kel
December 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Yea, get a website and put the PCs on Ebay. You'll come over more legitimate when you have a reputation on Ebay. And if you guys get some real profit, you can start thinking about starting a company.

Good luck, success!

LoclynGrey
December 13th, 2006, 07:29 PM
If your still looking at a web site and want a shopping cart system, have a look at Joomla & the Virtual Mart component.

http://www.joomla.org/
It has a front end (that your customers see as your website) and a back end, which you use to control the site. It is a database driven website.

Virtual Mart
http://demo.virtuemart.net/
go check it out: - username: demo, password: demo
There are some live sites that people have done, so go check those out as well:
http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_bookmarks&task=order&Itemid=65&mode=3&catid=-1&orderbycol=created&orderbyupdown=asc&search=*

It's all open source.

saxonjf
December 15th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Great idea! I would love to buy a computer with Ubuntu preinstalled! Not right at this moment, but I am thrilled that people want to run with the possibilty. I hope this booms for you.

steven8
December 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I think it is most excellent. I applaud your efforts.

Two friends of mine in high school became distributors of TDK cassette tapes. they printed up some business cards to hand out, took orders and had people sent their boxes of tapes. I bought all my tapes from them, and so did many others. We handed them cash, even and they handled it from there.

Point being, everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck to you both!!

Raval
December 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
where in NJ are you guys located?