PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] controlling upgrade package selection?

Klegger
September 20th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Hello,

I'm looking into upgrading my laptop from 9.10 to 10.04, but before I do I wanted to find out if I can limit the number of packages the system must install for this purpose.

I began the process to upgrade, and the wizard informed me that on top of package upgrades, 288 packages needed to be downloaded, for a total well over 1GB of downloading. While my internet connection can support this, I don't feel the need to install 288 packages, most of which I'm certain I will not be using, nor will most of these be dependencies for things I do use.

In short: can I pick and choose what gets downloaded and installed in the upgrade? I've asked this question before, and somebody said the answer was 'yes', however I see nowhere to control this. No buttons, no config files.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Klegger
September 25th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Anyone?

I understand if not many people know what to make of this, since I researched it for a while and found basically nothing.

Does everybody just let the upgrade manager have its way with their system when it's time to change Ubuntu versions?

Thanks.