PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing the ugly login screen?

CaptSaltyJack
September 19th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I really hate 10.04's login screen. Ugh. And I don't like that it lists all the users on the box. What happened to those clean-looking login screens, that just prompt you to type a username? Can I change the login screen appearance, somehow? I seem to recall that was possible, though I can't find anything in the preferences.

Chris1274
September 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I really hate 10.04's login screen. Ugh. And I don't like that it lists all the users on the box. What happened to those clean-looking login screens, that just prompt you to type a username? Can I change the login screen appearance, somehow? I seem to recall that was possible, though I can't find anything in the preferences.

I believe that option was taken away with Lucid in the cause of faster boot-ups. You can change the login background, but not the box itself.

CharlesA
September 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Check the post here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9487803&postcount=5).

CaptSaltyJack
September 19th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Grumble. Why'd they get rid of the option to change the layout of the login screen and hide the user list?? I wish they'd get some people on their team with some design sense. The 10.04 login screen is uuuugly.

panel123
September 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM
it's simple if you hate the login screen then change it.. change into the screen want you want it easy hehe :D

but you can't change the list of all users in the box..
only the background...

sisco311
September 19th, 2010, 09:56 PM

To disable the user list, run:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list "true"

To (re-)enable the user list, run:

sudo -u gdm gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list "false"

If you want to change the theme, wallpaper...,then add gnome-appearance-properties to GDM's autostart directory:

sudo ln -s /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/

Log out. The appearance properties window should show up on the GDM screen.

Configure GDM how you want, then close the window and log back in.

When you're done and want the window to stop opening with GDM, run:

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

If you want to change the look of the simple greeter, then learn how to use GLADE and create new theme(s) for the new GDM. :evil:

CaptSaltyJack
September 19th, 2010, 09:58 PM
It's more than just the background I don't like. It's the layout of the box itself.. etc. It just looks ugly.

HERE is a sexy login screen:
http://www.ahlera.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/08.jpg