PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04: "This computer has no operating systems on it"

Umniscient
September 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Just to start off, I want to explain that I have an Intel iMac. I didn't post this in the Apple section because installing and upgrading is more relevant to my question.

I've been running Windows 7 on my Intel iMac (as the only OS) for a few days now. However, I was missing Linux, so I popped in my Ubuntu Live CD and booted. When I got to the partition section of the install, though, the Live CD did not recognize my existing Windows installation.

It gave me "This computer has no operating systems on it" and displayed my entire hard drive as free space. I think my partition table must be messed up, but I need help on how to fix it/resolve the problem so that Windows shows up on the Live CD and I can select "Install side-by-side".

Thank you in advance. :)

Umniscient
September 20th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry for bumping, but I really need help with this issue.

Umniscient
September 23rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
I still need help.

grahammechanical
September 23rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Do a Ubuntu Help search of EFI It stands for Extensible Firmware Interface (I think). There is a Wiki page on it. Also look up this. Hope I have typed it right.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/EFI-Boot-Mactel

Regards

Umniscient
September 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks, but the installation has worked before (several times, actually). I don't think it has anything to do with the EFI.

plucky
September 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
This is just a suggestion.

Use Windows 7 disk management to shrink the windows partition and see if the Live CD will install into the empty space that is created.

Good Luck