PDA

View Full Version : Airport security, linux laptops

hessiess
September 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Just wandering if anyone has experienced any issues with airport security and Linux laptops.

teward
September 19th, 2010, 07:21 PM
why would they? its an operating system, not a bomb control system.

They don't usually check the operating system either. >.>

Denis Krajnc
September 19th, 2010, 07:24 PM
No.

Phrea
September 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Strange question... :confused:

Phrea
September 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Double post.
Either the forums or I have a problem.

teward
September 19th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Strange question... :confused:
DOUBLE POST FTL!

Anyways, there's absolutely zero chance you'll run into issues with a linux computer at airport security. Unless you're intentionally acting suspicious, so... :/

cpmman
September 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Yes - they ran my tank bag through the x-ray four times before they found my tyre tread depth gauge.
I lost my sound applet when upgrading to 10.10.

hessiess
September 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM
why would they? its an operating system, not a bomb control system.

They don't usually check the operating system either. >.>

No problem, like I said: just wandering ;)

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 19th, 2010, 08:49 PM
They don't know what OS is on it. They haven't ask me to turn mine on in a long time.

aysiu
September 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I've never been asked to turn on my netbook or Linux laptop at the airport. I just take it out of its bag, put it on the X-Ray machine belt, and then pick it up at the end.

My wife has even traveled with it internationally twice and never had any problems with security.

phrostbyte
September 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Linux laptop = no problem
Linux beard = problem

Phrea
September 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Linux beard = problem

What is a Linux beard?

For me, travel is a problem in general since I don't have any fingerprints, but that's a whole other story. :D

ada-m
September 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I believe (s)he is referring to the airport internet. For example, some schools make you install some sort of security application on your computer prior to connecting to the internet, which usually only works for for Win/Mac. Fortunately I never even get the prompt with my laptop on Ubuntu.

But no I'm not sure if there is any issues.

hessiess
September 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM
What is a Linux beard?

For me, travel is a problem in general since I don't have any fingerprints, but that's a whole other story. :D

For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman

No fingerprints, that must be a nightmare, not just with travel.

I believe (s)he is referring to the airport internet. For example, some schools make you install some sort of security application on your computer prior to connecting to the internet, which usually only works for for Win/Mac. Fortunately I never even get the prompt with my laptop on Ubuntu.

But no I'm not sure if there is any issues.

Nope, not even remotely related. My concern was towards airport security people's sensitivity to anything ``unusual'', but from outers responses it appears to be a non issue.

PC_load_letter
September 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Just wandering if anyone has experienced any issues with airport security and Linux laptops.

Zero issues. I was never even asked to turn it on. You just have to put it on a separate tray and it goes through the scanner like your carry on stuff.

Dr. C
September 19th, 2010, 10:13 PM
The theory is that because the airport screener is not familiar with GNU / Linux some one traveling with a GNU / Linux laptop would be selected for additional screening security etc. The could also be the case for customs also.

CharlesA
September 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
The theory is that because the airport screener is not familiar with GNU / Linux some one traveling with a GNU / Linux laptop would be selected for additional screening security etc. The could also be the case for customs also.

In theory apparently. Not in practice.

Legendary_Bibo
September 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
In before XKCD

the8thstar
September 19th, 2010, 10:30 PM
In before XKCD

Hahaha!!! Excellent!

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 19th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Linux beard = problem

I haven't had any problems because of my beard. A few weeks ago, I went through a security checkpoint at an international airport and the security agent said "nice beard". I was shocked that he treated me like a human rather than a body going through the scanner.
:lolflag:

wirepuller134
September 19th, 2010, 11:54 PM
We don't carry our laptops on flights anymore. I carry about 20 different cables in my bag and several different converters to connect to different manufacturer's hardware. None of our issues involved what OS was installed on the computer, just why are you carrying so many cables and what are they for. So we UPS red them to our location and fly there, if under 500 miles we just drive.

pwnst*r
September 20th, 2010, 12:16 AM
No, you won't have an issue with that. I did have an issue with a portable headphone amp though ;D

formaldehyde_spoon
September 20th, 2010, 03:15 AM
No fingerprints, that must be a nightmare, not just with travel.

I have to admit I don't understand this...?
I know since 911 the US fingerprints people going in, but do Americans get fingerprinted for domestic flights too?
When else are fingerprints needed? (besides when being arrested :p)

Legendary_Bibo
September 20th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I know since 911 the US fingerprints people going in, but do Americans get fingerprinted for domestic flights too?

I believe at Sky Harbor (AZ's big airport) you do still. It's ridiculous really. There's security and then there's inconvenience. The racial profiling doesn't help either.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
September 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM

No fingerprints at most places as far as I'm aware. I recently flew across country and it was relatively hassle free.