PDA

View Full Version : MS Anti-Spyware will be FREE!

jdong
February 17th, 2005, 12:14 AM
http://news.com.com/Windows+anti-spyware+to+come+free+of+charge/2100-7355_3-5577202.html

It appears like MS will be releasing their Anti-Spyware product free of charge. This is definitely an excellent move for Microsoft -- they've just gained quite a bit of respect in my book. I've installed MS AntiSpyware on my Windows box, and it's quite effective.

Now, if they'd also give out MS AntiVirus for free too, that'd be even better!

Hmm, IE7's policy... won't go there :(

Pluk
February 17th, 2005, 12:22 AM
prolly wont run on Ubuntu i guess :wink:

KiwiNZ
February 17th, 2005, 12:31 AM
I am having a vision here .
I foresee a court case or 345678 cases
I foresee litigation for MS using its market dominance to be anti competitive
for releasing its own Anti spyware , and not charging $123433445 for it.

poofyhairguy
February 17th, 2005, 12:59 AM
http://news.com.com/Windows+anti-spyware+to+come+free+of+charge/2100-7355_3-5577202.html

It appears like MS will be releasing their Anti-Spyware product free of charge. This is definitely an excellent move for Microsoft -- they've just gained quite a bit of respect in my book. I've installed MS AntiSpyware on my Windows box, and it's quite effective.

Now, if they'd also give out MS AntiVirus for free too, that'd be even better!

Hmm, IE7's policy... won't go there :(

They needed to give it away for free. Windows is crap without it.

macewan
February 17th, 2005, 01:31 AM
prolly wont run on Ubuntu i guess :wink:
whats spyware

;)

Lynx
February 17th, 2005, 04:10 AM
It's only anti-competitive if they release it for free, make it so that windows won't run without it, integrate it into every application and facet of the operating system... also if they try anything like... forcing you to remove ad-aware or spybot in order to run it... then start charging you for it or anything related to it.

TravisNewman
February 17th, 2005, 04:37 AM
I dunno, the courts thought that IE was anti-competitive before it was so integrated into the operating system (you could still remove it back in the day if you knew how). and European courts recently found that WMP was anti-competitive, and you can still uninstall that if you know how, and it doesn't have any MAJOR integration into the OS, and they don't force you to remove winamp or charge for it (though they do have the MSN music service now)/

ctt1wbw
February 17th, 2005, 09:17 AM
It's not Microsoft's anti spyware program. It's a program that was bought by Microsoft and then given away for free. Does that sound familiar? I think it was a shareware program called Globe Anti Spyware, or something like that. My wife still has it running on her desktop.

Jad
February 17th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I bit its effective, effective anti-spyware in windows means the spyware has to remove windows.

nocturn
February 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Ok, giving it away is a good thing. But I'm not commending them for it.
The reason that spyware on windows is such a problem is that the product is broken in the first place.

So the anti-spyware is just an attempt to deal with the symptoms instead of fixing the problem (same deal with anti-virus).

It is like a manufacturer of tires to give away free patches after selling you the tire because it springs leaks.

nocturn
February 17th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I bit its effective, effective anti-spyware in windows means the spyware has to remove windows.

Hey, this means Ubuntu is now the number one anti-spyware product ;-)

machiner
March 12th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Can I just interject one time....

Who Cares?

Let msoft release whatever they want for whatever price...people, we're talking about microsoft.

This is just a smokescreen anyway. When you throw a bone at a crowd - they'll go for the bone. Now you can pick their pockets.

Microsoft can do whatever it pleases as far as I'm concerned -- I don't use their software and I doubt that I ever will again.

Besides, this is an Ubuntu forum and microsoft giving away some software they bought has absolutely zero effect to an Ubuntu user.

If you dual boot, well more-power-to-you, but if you dual boot to surf the web or the like then - well - you get what you get.

orion_114
March 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM
I have that problem and I am using spy bot and ad-aware. What is your opinion?
I havent used ad-aware.
I have used Spy Bot Search & Destroy, but I recon the MS Anti Spyware is better.
It runs in your system tray and it even has a pop-up to ask you if BAT files that run on your machine can execute. Its realtime as apposed to spybot which is more run when you need to.

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Antispyware free ? Ok.

Operating System free? No.

Now where is my Hoary disc...

Bubbling Zombie
March 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Hey guys... I`m new in here.

I was searching for sites thar compared anti-spyware and... here I am

I have that problem and I am using spy bot and ad-aware. What is your opinion?

Hitman pro is (in my book) the best -> it's a combination of all kinds of anti-spyware programs. google for it.

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 08:33 PM
May I add you have a VERY bad luck at the "art of google". Funny though.

Yukonjack
March 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Can I just interject one time....
Who Cares?
Let msoft release whatever they want for whatever price...people, we're talking about microsoft.
This is just a smokescreen anyway. When you throw a bone at a crowd - they'll go for the bone. Now you can pick their pockets.
Microsoft can do whatever it pleases as far as I'm concerned -- I don't use their software and I doubt that I ever will again.
Besides, this is an Ubuntu forum and microsoft giving away some software they bought has absolutely zero effect to an Ubuntu user.
If you dual boot, well more-power-to-you, but if you dual boot to surf the web or the like then - well - you get what you get.

Haaa you beat me to it
Ditto

telmo
March 16th, 2005, 05:42 AM
I havent used ad-aware.
I have used Spy Bot Search & Destroy, but I recon the MS Anti Spyware is better.
It runs in your system tray and it even has a pop-up to ask you if BAT files that run on your machine can execute. Its realtime as apposed to spybot which is more run when you need to.

It's better because they didn't make it themselves! LOL They bought the company that made it! Giant Antyspyware... check it out! I was using that one for ages...

adbak
March 16th, 2005, 06:30 AM
I havent used ad-aware.
I've used Ad-Aware before and I much prefer it over Spybot. If you want real-time protection, you can run Ad-watch. But I haven't used it in a while, thanks to Ubuntu, and nor have I used MS's antispyware program either, thanks again to Ubuntu.

krusbjorn
March 16th, 2005, 03:58 PM
i tried the most popular of those out - ad-aware, spybot, giant antispyware and spysweeper, and to me spy sweeper seemed like the nicest one of them...

jdong
March 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
For those who have to deal with Windows workstations -- especially public terminals, MS Anti-Spyware is a wonderful thing to have. I do agree that it's too little, too late, but I appreciate it...

Just today, it helped me clean up an XP box that neither Spybot nor Ad-aware could clean.